Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think getting the 6 year 100k mile extended warranty is worth it? Dealer said its 2,500 bucks to add it and its bumper to bumper and would cover anything that pretty much went wrong with my car that was not related to failure to maintain or due to failure from any type of modifications.

I also am getting shafted with a 10.79 interest rate thru mazda credit due to the fact (supposedly) i have no credit, well i have credit but not every much. I think i can refinance too though, and i put down 13k.

I already got the warranty but I think in 60 days I can change my mind, but i'm not sure on that, i was thinking about canceling it. Esp since i'm paying interest on it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i passed, but my dealer offered the Gold Plus through JM&A for $1.5k. Jay Mazda, part of a larger auto mall, doesn't offer the Mazda coverage, in favor of JM&A who'll cover any make of car.

i'm pretty sure you can add coverage from JM&A any time during a 3y/36k initial period. http://www.jmagroup.com/consumers/consumers.aspx

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I didnt opt for it since the 50K is awesome from what Im used to (the big 3's 36K poop warrenty) and since I intend on modding the car eventually but don't intend on keeping it till 100K the 50K warranty is perfect for me

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since I have up to 3/36 to purchase an extended warranty, I declined. Why pay on something I am not going to use for 4 years or 50k, when I can buy the same thing in 3 years.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone think getting the 6 year 100k mile extended warranty is worth it? Dealer said its 2,500 bucks to add it and its bumper to bumper and would cover anything that pretty much went wrong with my car that was not related to failure to maintain or due to failure from any type of modifications.
I also am getting shafted with a 10.79 interest rate thru mazda credit due to the fact (supposedly) i have no credit, well i have credit but not every much. I think i can refinance too though, and i put down 13k.
I already got the warranty but I think in 60 days I can change my mind, but i'm not sure on that, i was thinking about canceling it. Esp since i'm paying interest on it.
[/b]
I bought it on mine. I didn't pay anywhere CLOSE to $2500 bucks though.

I'd have to double check but I am almost positive I paid $1100 for the 6y/100k. One way or another $2500 is WAY too high.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i think i got screwed on pricing, the totals don't add up, i don't even see the 1k off from financing through them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the 100k, at my time of purchase, was quoted at $14xx.00, not as much as 2500.00, but a little more than 1100.00.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my car on Monday and bought the 7 year (mine is 84 months=7 years I think... not 6 years) /100,000 mile bumper to bumper for $1195. I talked myself into it based on the number of problems I have read about on the forums since I do plan on keeping the car for at least 100K. If it makes you feel any better I actually got even more screwed over on the financing due to lack of credit history. I made absolutely sure when you can refinance without paying an early termination penalty to MAC and was told unequivocally it is 90 days (85 days to go now for me... WooHoo).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up my car on Monday and bought the 7 year (mine is 84 months=7 years I think... not 6 years) /100,000 mile bumper to bumper for $1195. I talked myself into it based on the number of problems I have read about on the forums since I do plan on keeping the car for at least 100K. If it makes you feel any better I actually got even more screwed over on the financing due to lack of credit history. I made absolutely sure when you can refinance without paying an early termination penalty to MAC and was told unequivocally it is 90 days (85 days to go now for me... WooHoo).
[/b]
I'm calling to cancel my warranty today, and ask them where my 1k is for financing through MAC, its no where on invoice... and totals don't add up to what i was told.

And yeah, I will refinance also, but i might wait a few months to pay a few bills and start using my credit card and just paying it on time every month.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I'm calling to cancel my warranty today, and ask them where my 1k is for financing through MAC, its no where on invoice... and totals don't add up to what i was told.

And yeah, I will refinance also, but i might wait a few months to pay a few bills and start using my credit card and just paying it on time every month.
[/b]
Man, if you're putting down $13k, you should go to a credit union seriously! Even with no credit, with that much equity built in, you'll get a helluvalot better rate than 10.79%. Also, credit union's sell extended warranties for a mere fraction of dealership warranties. They have the same or better coverage and much lower deductibles.

·
Registered
232 Posts
[/b]

are you the person i sent from sni?

·
Registered
451 Posts

[/b]

that sucks, you need to read the contracts before you sign them and make sure everything is as negotiated... otherwise it's your word against theirs... i've known of a few instances where people negotiate one thing, but the contract states differently, and there's nothing they could do about it b/c it states clearly how it is on the contract...

i know someone who got shafted w/ a lower submodel on their honda odyssey... not too much they could do on a car they paid for in cash and signed the contract with it clearly stating that model... their word against the dealer's as far as which model was being negotiated...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Geico offers what they call "Mechanical Breakdown Coverage" http://www.geico.com/auto/safety/mbi.htm

The downside is the $250 Deductable (but does that exist on other extended warrenty policies as well?)

Upside, it's cheaper, and you can wait to add it to a policy for a new car until 15 months/15k miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Upside, it's cheaper, and you can wait to add it to a policy for a new car until 15 months/15k miles.
[/b]
Warranty should be unbundled from the rest of the purchase transaction (similar to trade-in and financing, outside of the current MAC rebate) because all manufacturers allow buyers to opt in at a later time. At that time, one can easily shop it around and even purchase it online for some makes... and always at a serious discount.

However, be aware of non-factory warranty coverage: those have a history of going out of business and they are typically much less co-operative than those backed by the automakers. Afterall, automakers should have a reason to support their brand. Please do not flame me if you think Ford or GM will go out of business in the coming years. I agree that there is risk there too but I am not so sure it is higher.

My $0.02!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can you buy a Mazda extended warantee (MEPP) from someone else other than the dealer that you purchased it from? I am interested in it and have another 2 weeks to decide but they are not discounting the MEPP. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Can you buy a Mazda extended warantee (MEPP) from someone else other than the dealer that you purchased it from? I am interested in it and have another 2 weeks to decide but they are not discounting the MEPP. Thanks.
[/b]
All MEPP warranties are provided through Automobile Protection Corp (APCO), though not all dealer extended warranties are MEPP warranties. Dealers don't all use the same company, they are free to sell you whatever warranty they want. You should be able to freely by from APCO totally outside of the dealer if you want, only a very small fraction of extended warranties, less than 5%, are sold through dealers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
All MEPP warranties are provided through Automobile Protection Corp (APCO), though not all dealer extended warranties are MEPP warranties. Dealers don't all use the same company, they are free to sell you whatever warranty they want. You should be able to freely by from APCO totally outside of the dealer if you want, only a very small fraction of extended warranties, less than 5%, are sold through dealers.
[/b]
In the past when I've purchased a used car I would usually purchase a warranty from WarrantyDirect.com. I'd say I'm a very satisfied customer. Might even get one for the Speed6.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My dad being a mechanic has always told me that the extended warranties are not worth the money. Also my brother was a service writer for a while and he said that is just another way to for the dealer to make money. Just my opinion, but I won't let the dealer touch my car unless it is for warranty work; even then I don’t like someone else working on my car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
why dont you check our www.fordesp.com (i think thats the website)...I would get it because the warranty starts from date the vehicle is first purchased...ie 2006. So your 6 year warranty is only good for 2 years after your manuf. warranty expires...unless you drive a helluva lot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts