Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the MS3 faster then the MS6? I honestly have no idea because the stats on the MS3 0-60 are a lot faster then the MS6 stats and it doenst make sense. I was asked this question and didnt know how to answer other then post on here and see if anyone knows for sure?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Is the MS3 faster then the MS6? I honestly have no idea because the stats on the MS3 0-60 are a lot faster then the MS6 stats and it doenst make sense. I was asked this question and didnt know how to answer other then post on here and see if anyone knows for sure?
[/b]

This was just brought up a week or two ago. Search!

I've driven both, the Speed3 seemed noticably quicker.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
[/b]
Mazda intentionally under-rated the MS6 so as not to completely eclipse the RX-8 which wouldn't be the greatest marketing decision. With the 3 aimed squarely at the tuner market, the under-rating isn't taken to the same extreme. The MazdaSpeed6 would definitely be faster from 0-60. AWD is a HUGE benefit when starting from 0.

Now, as far as everything else... the MS3 is faster as it's got the same engine in a lighter car with less drivetrain loss. Once the car is rolling, the benefits of AWD lessen. Once you start going pretty fast, AWD is actually a detriment to acceleration.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I'll put it to you this way, and the 3 guys hate it but its true, you are NOT going to see a 13 second MS3 for a while...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've driven both, the Speed3 seemed noticably quicker.
[/b]

Dude...dont be such an A$$HAT to people who have actual questions. Some of us are not forum professionals like you obviously, nevertheless try to show some common courtesy for the average reader and stop being such a jerk.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wider, stickier tires in the front and the MS3 will probably run high 13s all day. But to me, being able to trap 100 mph stock is more impressive.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Its going to take more than stickies to get it there, and a 13.7 pass is more than a longshot...

The trap speed is nice, but some MS6 owners have seen 100+ as well.... except with 13 second slips...

For my kind of racing the MS3 is probably faster, that weight difference really makes a difference in an AutoX event...

But all in all - 4WD is just fantastic...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dude...dont be such an A$$HAT to people who have actual questions. Some of us are not forum professionals like you obviously, nevertheless try to show some common courtesy for the average reader and stop being such a jerk.
[/b]

Common courtesy? How about some manners?

I stated the obvious and factual information, I then gave my concise opinion on the matter, based on actual first hand knowledge.

Unlike you, nowhere did I demean, slander, or antagonize the original poster. Your post adds nothing to this topic and you actually perpetuate the very thing you argued against.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Does anyone smell that? Anyone? Nobody smells that? It smells like..smells like, hypocrisy!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Its going to take more than stickies to get it there, and a 13.7 pass is more than a longshot...

The trap speed is nice, but some MS6 owners have seen 100+ as well.... except with 13 second slips...

For my kind of racing the MS3 is probably faster, that weight difference really makes a difference in an AutoX event...

But all in all - 4WD is just fantastic...
[/b]

Actually, the biggest problem with the ms3's launch isn't the boost limitation like some people think, it's wheelspin. Launch aggressively at anything above 3k (from my experience) and you're not going anywhere for a while, at least not on the stock tires. It's one of the reasons C&D had to launch so many times and settled on a 1000 rpms. I agree that's where FWD sucks. However, imo, wider stickier tires would easily shave 2-3 tenths off the quarter. And to be fair, most of the MS6s that did 13s weren't completely stock, at least not the ones I've seen posted. Low 14s seem to be the norm off the factory floor which is still impressive.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Not at all.... a 13.7 pass has been made by quite a few members in OEM fashion....

But one thing is for sure, a 13 second 3600 lb. family sedan from Mazda is very impressive, as is the Speed3...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not at all.... a 13.7 pass has been made by quite a few members in OEM fashion....

But one thing is for sure, a 13 second 3600 lb. family sedan from Mazda is very impressive, as is the Speed3...
[/b]
I'm going by times I've seen posted all over the web, but I'm sure the better drivers would get the most out of the car for sure.

And I agree, for the ms6's weight, to hit even low 14s, high 13s stock says something of its potential.

·
Registered
684 Posts
the general manager of the dealership that i dealt w/ told me when he tracked his MS6 with the MS3, MS3 sucked at the launch as it's FWD, and too much torque steer, wheels kept spinning, etc.....as MS6 4WD kicked in during the launch.

+1 for 4WD MS6!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys I didnt want to start a war, I was just curious about this. When I was looking for a car i had 3 choices to go with. A 07 WRX, an 06 MS6 and I looked at the MS3 but ruled it out due to front wheel drive. So far I love the MS6 other then the powerloss, but that comes and goes so i dont care since I dont race the car. I have just been talking to people and they told me u should have gotten the WRX because its faster 0-60 and just overall...I said for the money i could not pass up the MS6. Then they asked me about the MS3 and this is why I asked this question. So I am not sure if i made the right choice, but I am happy with the car. Myabe the WRX is faster but it didnt have the nice interior. Maybe the MS3 is faster, but its FWD. So please no wars, if you want to state your opinion then cool, if not then dont yell at each other. I did not come here for a battle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
... Once the car is rolling, the benefits of AWD lessen. Once you start going pretty fast, AWD is actually a detriment to acceleration.
[/b]

It is my understanding that as the MS6 gains speed, and therefor does not sense slippage, it becomes 100% FWD. So wouldn't the top end AWD loss not affect it...? :huh:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Guys I didnt want to start a war, I was just curious about this. When I was looking for a car i had 3 choices to go with. A 07 WRX, an 06 MS6 and I looked at the MS3 but ruled it out due to front wheel drive. So far I love the MS6 other then the powerloss, but that comes and goes so i dont care since I dont race the car. I have just been talking to people and they told me u should have gotten the WRX because its faster 0-60 and just overall...I said for the money i could not pass up the MS6. Then they asked me about the MS3 and this is why I asked this question. So I am not sure if i made the right choice, but I am happy with the car. Myabe the WRX is faster but it didnt have the nice interior. Maybe the MS3 is faster, but its FWD. So please no wars, if you want to state your opinion then cool, if not then dont yell at each other. I did not come here for a battle.
[/b]
You can't post a question like this and not expect people to voice their opinions. It's just human nature and we all felt we made the better choice however they are two different cars. If the benefits of AWD is what you're after then the MS3 shouldn't even be in the picture. If however you're looking for something cheaper and fast (especially from a roll) then the ms3 looks a lot better. I'm leaving interior quality and utility out of the picture because you didn't mention them.

As for the WRX, personally I think you made the better choice going with the MS6. It's got a better interior, same or better performance and I'm absolutely sure the tranny will hold up a lot longer. The handling edge might go the WRX though since it's lighter. And in snowy weather the full-time AWD of the WRX might prove superior but that's not for certain.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is my understanding that as the MS6 gains speed, and therefor does not sense slippage, it becomes 100% FWD. So wouldn't the top end AWD loss not affect it...? :huh:
[/b]
You're right, but you still have to carry around the weight.
My car was weighed recently at the dyno shop. Full tank of gas without driver was 3700lbs!
I'm 195lbs so thats a lot of weight to tug around. :(

Time to put my fatty car on a diet!

IMO the MS6 has far more potential than the MS3.
The AWD system literally pulls its own weight in the MS6.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You're right, but you still have to carry around the weight.
My car was weighed recently at the dyno shop. Full tank of gas without driver was 3700lbs!
I'm 195lbs so thats a lot of weight to tug around. :(

Time to put my fatty car on a diet!

IMO the MS6 has far more potential than the MS3.
The AWD system literally pulls its own weight in the MS6.
[/b]
My fatty car weighs less than yours. :nana:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yep, you can only do so much with a FWD before you're beating a dead horse or having to drive around with slicks, lol. I wouldn't even put the mazdaspeed CAI on this car, to me it's got more than enough power and is enough fun as is.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I will never drive a FWD car again....well that is, unless my MS6 is in for service and that's what they give me for a loaner.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts