Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received November issue of Car and Driver, which has full review of MS3. Sub-titled "Mazda's militant wing lauches a rocket into WRX territory".

"The Verdict
Highs: Ready to murder WRXs by third gear, taut and toned chassis, civlized ride.
Lows: Joyless shifter, inevitable torque steer, unleaded premium can vanish quickly.
The Verdict: Mazda's minute wagon gets drunk on boost without losing its balance."

All 3 reviewers in Counterpoint like the car; finishing comments from each:
"I think it has a winner on its hands. The line forms behind me!",
"... it's a brilliant little car!",
"Wow, how do you say GTI in Japanese?"

0-60 in 5.8, 0-110 in 17.8, 1/4 mile in 14.4 @ 99mph, top gear 50-70 in 6.8, 70-0 braking in 167ft, 0.87g lateral acceleration (200ft skidpad).

For consideration (but not comparison as cars were not necessarily tested under same type of conditions), MazdaSpeed6 in Feb/06 issue did:
0-60 in 5.4, 0-110 in 17.5, 1/4 mile in 14.0 at 99mph, top gear 50-70 in 7.5, 70-0 braking in 155ft, 0.87g lateral acceleration (300ft skidpad), 64.3mph lane change

Winging Road just finished issue 14 and it has a review of the MS3 (but only estimate for 0-60 of 5.7 seconds). Download it here (you may have to register): http://www.windingroad.com/download?issue=new

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
To chime in on C&D's review

"The Mazdaspeed 3 is only a bit less tricky to launch than a space shuttle. Most of the runs up the drag strip vanished in excessive tire smoke. Or they deflated when the driver, trying to stanch the wheelspin, inadvertently cued the waste gate. Or grabbed the wrong gear with the spongy shifter. Calls to Mazda yielded tips: Pop the clutch at 2900 rpm, upshift at 6000 — redline is 6700 — and flat-shift through second and third (which means don’t lift at all — the mechanical equivalent of dropping a Steinway on the clutch and half-shafts and violating our test procedure)."

·
Registered
531 Posts
Seems like they botched the launch or didn't want to push it hard. But I'll bet, once mastered and with better tires, those numbers would come down even more.

Edmunds managed a 14.2 and a 100 mph trap so there is more potential.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Seems like they botched the launch or didn't want to push it hard. But I'll bet, once mastered and with better tires, those numbers would come down even more.

Edmunds managed a 14.2 and a 100 mph trap so there is more potential. [/b]
Edmunds numbers are usually always higher, too. C&D usually has the lowest initial numbers for 0-60 and 1/4 traps and time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts