Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the link, has adjustable damping and is an entire OEM solution. Has anyone tried them? There is also a front and rear sway availble for the MS6 (second link). After talking to a bunch of the SCCA drivers and instructors at the track and hearing them say NOT to get anything but a coilover solution, I'm backing out of the Autoexe's. And unless Whiteline comes up with a matching front bar, I'm probablly going with the mazdaspeed solution below.

Has anyone tried either of these? Thanks

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDispl...mp;categoryId=4

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDispl...mp;categoryId=4

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Why did he say nt to go with anything but a coilover?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did he say nt to go with anything but a coilover?
[/b]
Simple answer (these guys were real technical, being they are SCCA, IMSA and PCA licensed drivers I'd tend to listen to them) is that a coilover solution is designed for the specific car it's meant for. Simply buying aftermarket springs/shocks does not mean you'll increase cornering performance.

In fact, they said that even a 1" drop on a suspension could negatively affect performance in the twisty's if the drop was not taking into account the car's tendancies. A coilover is made and meant for one application, in this case the MS6. Plus it's damping is adjustable, like my buddies suspension on the M3. Again, I'm not an expert, but these guys were licensed race car drivers (road courses) so I think I'd listen to their input more than someone who is not.

This goes back to a post I made after taking my car to Soulspeed a month or so ago where the owner said to wait for a coil over and matched sways. It finally looks like that solution is here :drive:

I was just wondering if anyone had tried them, and if so, how's they like them?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Its killing me to not get them right now....my front end is hanging from the car with the shocks and all dangling in the breeze. $1400 for the get-up is not to bad! I wonder if Tiffany can do us better???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its killing me to not get them right now....my front end is hanging from the car with the shocks and all dangling in the breeze. $1400 for the get-up is not to bad! I wonder if Tiffany can do us better???
[/b]
Don't know, but if you find out, let us know!

·
Registered
210 Posts
A coilover is made and meant for one application, in this case the MS6. Plus it's damping is adjustable, like my buddies suspension on the M3. Again, I'm not an expert, but these guys were licensed race car drivers (road courses) so I think I'd listen to their input more than someone who is not.
[/b]

Not to discredit those whose opinions you value, but just because they can drive, doesnt mean they know how to tune or setup suspension on a car. That being said, sometimes being able to drive helps in setting up the suspension.

The main advantage to a coilover, and the only advantage on the setup you linked to, is corner weighting. Being able to make minor adjustments to ride height on each corner to get the 4 wheel weights close to the same. Or in the case of our car the diagonals close. Ride height should no be played with as that would reduce the stroke on these coilovers. By that I mean slamming the car. A threaded body coilover has a designed shock stroke that you would not want to limit. If it were a true coilover than you can adjust ride height without change the stroke.

As for being designed for the specific car, the autoexe springs are made for only the speed6. These coilovers are for all 6s. That includes wagons, v6 and i4 models. Not specific to one model. So if you were to follow your friends advice, you would need to look for another option.

If you were to take the autoexe springs and match them up to a good custom damper such as a Penske or Ohlins, then you would have a good setup. :drool:

Notice on the lower picture how the shock body can thread up and down, where on the top picture only the perch (the part the spring sits on) can be threaded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts