Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured there should be thread for this, so i could make updates in 1 spot.

i dropped off the car this morning @ Gillis Motorsports to swap an MTX-75 5speed tranny into my '03 4speed atx. i don't know if he'll be getting any pics along the way, but i didn't ask him to as it's not like anyone is going to be trying to do this on their own.

i'm going with Torsen LSD and running the 4.06 final gears and hoping that suits me well. i'm trying to find something that will keep my where i need to be on the track in regards to rpm range. and something that will allow me to put a bit more down and not have to deal with the damn torque converter. we'll see how it goes, and i asked him to keep in mind what all is needed if anyone else is interested in doing the same swap. feel free to shoot me questions and i'll answer what i can. i'm not expecting to get it back until the end of November, but i'll have updates along the way.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What's the total cost?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i asked him to give me a cost for prospective future customers, though i'd imagine it would be just for "local" owners. but i won't know that info until he's all done with it.

this is my first of a 2 part visit with Gillis to help me with a few "projects" that all need custom finesse. so it will go back in January for the rest of the work.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its interesting thing. This info you provide can be verry useful for me.
Actually what I read about Quaife diffs I prefer it.
So I actually thinking... pay for Quaifes diff and make stronger transmission somehow... or go with other transmission 6speed that can handle it and buy a Quaifes diff for it.
Hard choise...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from my reading, the quaife wasn't what i was looking for for road racing. when i chatted with Gillis, he confirmed what i'd read and was going to suggest the Torsen if i didn't have a preference. he said the quaife tends to give a more stock feel for the most part, but there is an initial snap when the grip is transfered....which can upset the turn if not ready for it. he said the hardest thing about the Torsen is getting used to the fact that car will not straighten on it's own out of a turn, you have to give feedback for it to come back to center.

though a 6speed would be nice, it's not worth it for me too look for one to fit and then get the internals for it. it would help mileage, but with as much as i've done, that's not top on my list.

·
Registered
151 Posts
where did you find the mtx-75 transmission and how much did it cost? i've been looking for it for 7 months now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
quess this is a question i shouldn't have asked :zzz:

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't know how you can't find an mtx-75....pretty much any junkyard will have a focus in it....it's a super common part. you can also use car-parts.com to find one, usually find one for $300-600. i didn't have to as Gillis builds race cars for USTCC, Spec Focus and now World Challenge....so he has access to whatever i need.

as far as teh diff measurements, i'm not sure what you need? i'm not doing anything with any mazda parts, so any measurement i get is going to be for a Ford. i don't think that would be of any help to anyone?

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks for the website, i know its a common part but can exactly search a junkyard right about now cause i'm in south korea til aug 2007 :swearin: . thanks for the reply, hope it works out and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They dont have junk yards in south korea? That is sad...
HEHE

Good luck with this tranny deal. Too bad you couldnt swap in a 6 speed while you where at it.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in looking around, it seems the 6speed would be more for getting better mileage than being useful on the track with a turbo. my tq band is pretty broad, so don't need to shorten it up too much.

the tranny has all the parts put together, just need to get it in the car now, we'll see as this week ends where things sit. SEMA was holding things up from any work.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i could care less what it looks like, i just wanna feel the damn thing. i alloted until the end of the month, so we'll see how things work out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Your MTX swap will be most interesting thing :)

Please more info about this tranny...
From what cars it ?
What HP capacity ?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I'm jealous, my 6 wants an MTX-75 too, maybe the MTX-75 AWD even :) Someday...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tranny is from a focus. as far a HP, there is no rating really. he runs it in his race car that puts down a lot less TQ than my setup, the Zetec guys are getting over 400hp without issues on it, though a different housing.

i'll be contacting him on monday for an update on things. he's also fabbing up upper arms and an intake manifold, so the tranny isn't the only thing i'm waiting on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually by information I get Quaife can make 6i gearbox with shafts and everything which will hold needed amount of power. But... it very pricey...

1 - 20 of 250 Posts