Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news for all car enthusiasts.

Mazda6 MPS, shown on the auto show in Paris, will make it into serial production. The company's management has given their green light, says swedish automobile magazine Aftonbladet bil.

After how well the car was accepted by the public, nothing else was to be expected. But now we know for sure.:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'MPS production confirmed'

I see no reason why it shouldn't. In fact, in many ways you guys over there are more into the powerrace than we are here in Europe.

So I bet you'll see it too. (But I guess you will have your MPS:es built in Japan like us. The series will be so small that they probably won't put it into serial production in more than one plant, and I don't think Flat Rock gets to build their prestige machine...)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Does the MPS use direct injection? In the past we been denied this goodie. Though the new Audi RS6 will be coming here.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Yes, it is a direct injection engine[/b]
Indeed, but remember; the MPS in Paris was a concept car. The production car can be different. But was ís for sure; the Mazda3 gets a direct injection engine

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Historically, Mazda's concept cars and the models that later came into production were very much alike.

A good example was the RX-EVOLV concept car that became RX-8 in production. No bigg differencies there!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

You are right about that. But the MX Sportourer had a 2.0 engine with 54hp electroengines at the wheels. And we haven't seen that on the Mazda6 :p

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well no, but on the other hand I wouldn't consider that the concept car for Mazda6 either...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yeah, no doubt you can see the family resemblance, but what they wanted with that car wasn't to find the shape of the Mazda6 wagon, but rather try out some new technologies and new design. That's my interpretation anyway...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Originally posted by applejax

Please explain.[/b]
I don't know much more than what was in the pressrelease. Here's a line or two from it: "The newly developed direct-injection turbocharged 2.3-liter engine promises low emissions and excellent fuel efficiency while boasting 276 high-performance horsepower."

If you wonder about direct fuel injection, I'm no expert. But I know a little bit. Fuel has to be vaporized before it enters the combustion chamber. This can be done in a carburator as in old gas fueled cars. Or by injecting the gas the directly into the chambers (the fuel is pushed at high pressure through a tiny hole shaped like the lower part of a rocket engine, causing the fuel to vaporize).

I'm no Diesel expert, but I thought that all Diesels were direct injected. So I don't get what's the fuzz is all about...other than I've understood that USA has a low grade fuel with very much sulphur that makes direct injection difficult.

Don't know if this was what you wanted to hear though...:D

·
Registered
350 Posts

Mitsubishi have been selling this motors for five years.
They call it GDI (gasoline direct injection).
After 80000km have many of theese motors developed serious problem with pollution, it's very much harder to make a direkt injection motor clean.

This motor also can be found in Volvo S/V40 as 1.8i.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

If that happens, it's time to replace the injectors.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

And Passat with the TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection)...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

But that is old ;) Mazda -> CiTD, Ford -> TDCi, Renault -> Dci, PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) -> HDi, Mercedes -> CDI, Fiat-group -> JTD, Toyota -> D4-D etc etc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts