Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'MPS interior pic'

I think the Volkswagen Jetta's have a really nice interior lighting setup.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Gotta agree...the blue looks pretty damn good.  But red is easier on the eyes.[/b]
Actually, that's where you're wrong.

The human eye is most sensitive to the color red. That's why red lights are used for warning and on for example american fire trucks and police cars.

In Europe (Sweden is an example); the color blue is used on these vehicles - police, ambulance etc -do you know why?

The answer is historical (and scientific at the same time). During the war, Germany started using blue lights on these vehicles because blue is the color that the human eye is least sensitive for. And thus these vehicles were hard to spot from airplanes.

Thus blue is a better choice when it comes to go easy on the eyes.

But still, the strength of the light (amplitude) is more important than the wavelenght. A strong blue light is still more irritating to the eye than a soft red...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I was thinking along the lines that in the dark, your eyes don't need to "re-adjust" as much to red light.

If you are in the dark, and look at a light, your eyes have to readjust to the dark. Red minimizes this reaction, and hence your night visibility would be improved.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

They eye has two different types of receptors. Don't know their english name. One for b/w and one for color.

To keep the night vision, you have to use colored light, that doesn't have any white in it. Any color would do for that job, but red has the advantage of being easy to see due to the eyes ability to see red better than any other color.

·
Registered
319 Posts

ANyone have a hard time focusing on the VW lights at night? When I look at them, it is like I just cannot get them clear in my eyes. I don't have any problem on the reds in my Acura, or the green in my old Mazda. But for some reason, its like my mind just can't get them to focus when they're washed in blue.

Yeah, they look really cool, but I think red or the blue-green is much better.

Steve, you're thinking of rods and cones. I can't remember what does what, but that's what they're called in English.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

Steve, you're thinking of rods and cones.  I can't remember what does what, but that's what they're called in English.[/b]
Just look at the Sun. Your rods and cones are what is burning. When you are done, you'll have a pretty good idea of what they do (or did).

:sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah...rods and cones, that's it.

Rods are for b/w and cones are for color perception.

The rods are very sensitive and if exposed to too strong light, you're night blind in a flash. (Pun intended...)

The cones aren't sensitive in the same way, and they do not affect night vision.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Applejax, you're just too much.

Look at the sun. LOL!

PS. Don't try this at home, at least not without parental supervision. (That is if they didn't look at the sun before you, becuz that would mean parental superblindness...)

:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

..Just look at the Sun.  Your rods and cones are what is burning.  When you are done, you'll have a pretty good idea of what they do (or did).

:sarc[/b]

HA! :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Also worth noting is that the rods only show a rough, gray image and are adequate for seeing in poor light, and cones provide fine color and detail.

Maybe we need a new section of the forum, "Science Lessons" :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Perhaps we could call it Mr Bean's science corner.

Not just for the mere fun of it, but because I think he's at about the level we're at...:D

T

·
0 Posts
Reading Topic: MPS interior pic

Blue light scatters more readily than red light, giving a more "fuzzy" appearance, and less precise.

Try looking at a blue neon sign at night sometime, if you can even find one. Start up close, then move away from it. As you get further away, the sign will become harder to read much more quickly than the same sign would if it were red.

It's for this reason that you'll find many more red neon signs on businesses than blue ones.

It's also true what applejax said about readjusting. The blue may look cool, but for overall performance, the red is going to work better. Let's hope they stay with red on the production version of this car.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

They eye has two different types of receptors. Don't know their english name. One for b/w and one for color.

To keep the night vision, you have to use colored light, that doesn't have any white in it. Any color would do for that job, but red has the advantage of being easy to see due to the eyes ability to see red better than any other color.[/b]
White lights are most seen in the dark. Cars with white dash lights are the best seen.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts