Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below 55 MPH

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason For this, is that since my cold air install, the faster i drive (75-85 Mph) the better My MPG :shocked:, Weird Rigth. So if anybody has a theory please feel free, i need to learn more.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think it's the cold climate that is givin' me these bad MPG....or maybe the car is still new, i'm only @ 2000ish km...
i voted for 19-21MPG @ 55-65MPH....

are there any significant MPG drop if you drive over 65 MPH?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the cold climate that is givin' me these bad MPG....or maybe the car is still new, i'm only @ 2000ish km...
i voted for 19-21MPG @ 55-65MPH....

are there any significant MPG drop if you drive over 65 MPH?
[/b]

oddly enought it is better, i think, between 75-85mph. them again i have the CAI so i am confuseed :goon:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've gotten 28+ on a full tank doing 90% highway driving, when I was bone stock, green engine with about 500 miles on it. Weird mix of highway though, included mountains, so charging uphill at 90, then coasting or engine braking down.

In the more usual city mix of driving, I'm sitting at low 20's. Still not bad...if you just don't beat on it you stay out of the super-rich part of the powerband that dumps gas.

Winter driving definately makes a huge impact, I don't let the car sit and warm up, but the ScanGauge tells me I'm dumping about 1 Gallon / hour at idle when the car is cold. When it is hot, this runs about .2 - .3 GPH. Most of this is for emissions to light off the cats faster, that's one other reason our intakes have the variable tumble valve in there. This isn't terrible though, I was looking at GTOs before I bought this....and their idle averages 3.0 GPH when cold and barely under 1 GPH when warm. Add to this the fact that Mazda takes my entire 10-15 minute drive to warm up....and I like to drive my beater to work on cold mornings.

Sure, it leaks a little fuel when it's cold ... but it sure is warmer inside!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gotten 28+ on a full tank doing 90% highway driving, when I was bone stock, green engine with about 500 miles on it. Weird mix of highway though, included mountains, so charging uphill at 90, then coasting or engine braking down.

In the more usual city mix of driving, I'm sitting at low 20's. Still not bad...if you just don't beat on it you stay out of the super-rich part of the powerband that dumps gas.

Winter driving definately makes a huge impact, I don't let the car sit and warm up, but the ScanGauge tells me I'm dumping about 1 Gallon / hour at idle when the car is cold. When it is hot, this runs about .2 - .3 GPH. Most of this is for emissions to light off the cats faster, that's one other reason our intakes have the variable tumble valve in there. This isn't terrible though, I was looking at GTOs before I bought this....and their idle averages 3.0 GPH when cold and barely under 1 GPH when warm. Add to this the fact that Mazda takes my entire 10-15 minute drive to warm up....and I like to drive my beater to work on cold mornings.

Sure, it leaks a little fuel when it's cold ... but it sure is warmer inside!
[/b]
thank for the info, i think i will get that scangauge so i can do math like u :yesnod:

we got some pretty safe drivers here and that is gooood :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i have gotten 11 mpg since i bought the car, i fill it with 92 (best i can get) and i dont race or run the car hard the dealer has been unable to fix the car in 2 trys now :swearin: first they blamed it on a bad bov now they are trying to tell me all speed6 get poor fuel mileage. most of my driveing is stop and go at low speeds and its cold here in Mn.

the car is stock

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have gotten 11 mpg since i bought the car, i fill it with 92 (best i can get) and i dont race or run the car hard the dealer has been unable to fix the car in 2 trys now :swearin: first they blamed it on a bad bov now they are trying to tell me all speed6 get poor fuel mileage. most of my driveing is stop and go at low speeds and its cold here in Mn.

the car is stock
[/b]
Well form the poll the Dealer is lying, u got to have it check by another speed 6 dealer cause 11mpg :shocked: :shocked: to the square.....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Maybe slightly off topic, but how goddam hard would it be to include an effing MPG and trip computer in the design of this car! My ten year old VW has one for God's sake... The car doesn't even have to use a physical key! It just knows I'm there and welcomes me in. It uses mother lovin satelites in space to tell me the quickest way to get the closest IHOP, and has one of the more advanced engines known to consumer autos, but it can't tell me the basic math of how many miles I am getting from each gallon of gas it uses....

Anyhoo, I voted for under 18mpg w/ mostly highway driving. Frustrating, yes... but that boost (and whooooosh/pssst) does things to yer mind.......

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Well form the poll the Dealer is lying, u got to have it check by another speed 6 dealer cause 11mpg :shocked: :shocked: to the square.....
[/b]
there is only one other dealer near me and they have the same mazda rep so they will not fix it, they are saying "mazda warrenty does not cover bad mpg and that there is nothing phisicaly wrong with the car "

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe slightly off topic, but how goddam hard would it be to include an effing MPG and trip computer in the design of this car! My ten year old VW has one for God's sake... The car doesn't even have to use a physical key! It just knows I'm there and welcomes me in. It uses mother lovin satelites in space to tell me the quickest way to get the closest IHOP, and has one of the more advanced engines known to consumer autos, but it can't tell me the basic math of how many miles I am getting from each gallon of gas it uses....

Anyhoo, I voted for under 18mpg w/ mostly highway driving. Frustrating, yes... but that boost (and whooooosh/pssst) does things to yer mind.......
[/b]

I believe it does but it was disable for us and canada, cause if you look ate the display it does show L/km and since we don't use the metric, and that they didn't want to convert it, well they removed it.

MY .02

·
Registered
58 Posts
i don't know what my average mpg is but on my trip to Texas i got a little over 28 on the trip, it was mostly on the interstae but also on some 2 lane hiway. prolly an average speed of 65 or 70.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm with all of you. I had 150 miles on a half tank. That was with my normal driving habits, of shifting between 3k and 4.2k.

Assuming that there are 17 galloons in the car

and that the 150 miles are repeated for the other half

I'm barely scraping under 18mpg city. thats ridonkulus.

·
Registered
315 Posts
city driving, no matter how I seem to drive I get right around 15mpg.

On the highway it goes way up to about 25ish....

·
Registered
261 Posts
No matter how I drive it I get right around 22 mpg. All highway, 22 mpg. Mixed driving, 22 mpg. Baby it, 22 mpg. Givin' 'er hell, 22 mpg.

I'm pretty much ok with that though. 22 is right about where I figured it would be, wouldn't mind if it were slightly higher on the highway though.

Like clockwork my gas light will come on at 300 miles on the tank. hasn't failed, plus or minus 5 miles for every tank for my 2500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I do about 90% city driving and I usually get right around 17-19 mpg. I can't wait for summer when I take it down to the Outer Banks. In my old SHO i got 32mpg cruisng at 80mph. At this point i'm only assuming that i could get better mileage cruising at the same speed with the speed6. We shall see in July.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Steady 80 will get 25mpg +/-2, depending on the wind. I have done about 2500 miles of that type of driving with cruise on. You might break 30 at lower speeds.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
on long road trips i get consistently 27-29 mpg with almost all highway driving. cruise control set at 75 mph.

premium gas
royal purple oil
42 psi tire pressure
cai and catback

around town i get 18 - 21 mpg with a heavy foot.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I get right between 21-22 mpg on my usual commute: 1/4 mile out of town, 20 miles highway with one stop (from which I accelerate "briskly") and another 2 miles in town with a few stops. When I get a chance to do a highway run, I get 22-25, and it does seem better at 85 mph than it is at 60 mph. Since so much of the fuel this car uses is going to cylinder cooling instead of moving the car, starting and stopping probably makes a much bigger difference than some other engines. For the guy getting 11 mpg, it's undoubtedly a sensor/software problem-the car is reading the edge of detonation and dumping fuel to compensate. Of course, getting that fixed is going to be a bitch. Have you had the reflash?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts