Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everybody!
An excellent site this is. Have been lurking for a while and you all really eased my pain for waiting. And I have another 4 months :( . But M6, diesel 136 TE is worth it.

I have a question my dealer did not answer. Somewhere I found that something has an mp3 player feature. As that was a part of GT specification that has navigation system and CD charger, I don’t know whether it was a CD player or DVD player (from navigation system) function. I ordered CD charger, and decided to arrange navigation other way (thanks Steve!). :)

Just curious, but has anybody a CD charger yet? Can you play mp3s?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Replying to Topic 'mp3 player'

Well, I think not in the CD...

But I have the MiniDisc player option taken in my Mazda6 so I can play my MP3's there in Minidiscs... For that they are way more handy... And for so many other things also. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I was talked to an installer I know and he told me that you can buy CD changers, that play mp3s as well, which broadcast out on an FM channel. They come with a remote of course. All you have to do is tune in to the FM channel it's broadcasting out in. He said the clarity is as good as the best FM reception you'd get without any static. I thought that was a pretty interesting option to keep in mind.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Ofcourse you can buy anything... But Mazda6 CD changer most likely doesn't know a thing about MP3's (can't be sure yet, still holding a week before I have one in my hands).

But I would still point out, how handy the minidiscs can really be, especially when you need to have music from so many different sources (I recorded my old vinyls into the minidiscs, before they are totally gone - and also some tapes... And ofcourse the MP3's... And now I can mix and match them as I wish - Exactly what I wanted).

·
Registered
244 Posts

There are at least two different single-CD players. The one available in Europe (GJ6C-79-AGX) does not play MP3 files, but in Japanese market there is another one (GJ6B-79-AGX) available that recognizes MP3 format. My dealer said that MP3 capable CD player should be available here sometime in spring 2003 with introduction of Mazda2.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I tested today and as I suspected the changer did not play mp3. Just a long silence :D It did work with CD-R's thugh.

Another thing that reallt worrys me. I had the CDs indoors and brought them in to the car. It was around 5 degrees + outside (probably a little colder in the garage). When I have just put the cd in, pressed play and then stop and removed it, it had been forming water on the disc! Are the system designed to handle this thing or should you wait putting CDs in until you get the temp up in the car. I didn't dare to put in the cd that had been lying in the middle storage compartment... Fzzzzz :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by Blackbird

I tested today and as I suspected the changer did not play mp3. Just a long silence :D It did work with CD-R's thugh.

Another thing that reallt worrys me. I had the CDs indoors and brought them in to the car. It was around 5 degrees + outside (probably a little colder in the garage). When I have just put the cd in, pressed play and then stop and removed it, it had been forming water on the disc! Are the system designed to handle this thing or should you wait putting CDs in until you get the temp up in the car. I didn't dare to put in the cd that had been lying in the middle storage compartment... Fzzzzz :([/b]
Well, than that's it. I will be fine with 6 CD's. It would be better to have 60 hours of music, but man cannot have it all :p Thanks for an experiment. Wish I could do the same. :) But I will in a few months.

Condensation is unavoidable I belive. You just have to leave CD's to accomodate to car temperature. Especially if humidity is large.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Yeah... It is like -8 to +3 Celsius here... But so it is in Japan right now!? So I wonder that why wouldn't Japanese know how to take winter conditions in count in car designing or components like audio...

I would be surprised if there was a "bug" like that... But who knows, you might just be unlucky...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Blackbird

Another thing that reallt worrys me. I had the CDs indoors and brought them in to the car. It was around 5 degrees + outside (probably a little colder in the garage). When I have just put the cd in, pressed play and then stop and removed it, it had been forming water on the disc! Are the system designed to handle this thing or should you wait putting CDs in until you get the temp up in the car. I didn't dare to put in the cd that had been lying in the middle storage compartment... Fzzzzz :([/b]
Condensation is a physical phenomenon, and nothing Mazda invented...

You have to be careful with your expensive equipment. NEVER put warm media into a cold machine. That goes for CD:s Casettes, videos, computers...the lot!

However, car CD players usually have very sophisticated protection against this, since condensation is a real car issue. I wouldn't worry too much. But then again: I wouldn't put warm CDs into the player either...

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Condensation is a physical phenomenon, and nothing Mazda invented...

You have to be careful with your expensive equipment. NEVER put warm media into a cold machine. That goes for CD:s Casettes, videos, computers...the lot![/b]
Call me stupid, but I don't understand how can condensation form on an object that is warmer than surrounding environment. The humidity in the air should release energy to an object that it condenses to. If your media is "warm" i.e. has relatively more energy than environment then it should not attract any condensation, right? No?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's a micro climate thing. When you put a warm media in a cold machine, the media slightly increases temperature in the air layer next to the media. This allows for a redistribution of the moist in the air, letting the airlayer next to the media increase its contents of water.

But...

Just moments later, the temperature will go down as the energy contents of the media disappears into thin air, and then water condensates on the surface.

This, however, only happens when there is relatively much moisture though the temperature at the same time is low. But it happens, like it or not...

·
Registered
355 Posts

But if you listen a while longer there wouldn't usually be any problems... Since the players usually tend to get quite hot - as we as the CD's... So if your car (and the audio system) got warmed up after a normal length of listening music (like 15 minutes or more I would say); I don't believe they would be any moist since the system is hot... BUT if you let the HOT system to cool down in cold and MOIST place, the result is very normal and again you have moist CD's etc...

You just can't beat the weather. That's what I agree with Steve totally... And I believe that all the car audio manuals tells all these things - right???

·
Registered
176 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'mp3 player'

Still couldn't get the dealer to order me the MP3 player so I went on the 6CD changer also.
:(
That's it ...

·
Registered
9 Posts

If you guys all want MP3 Capability...look into getting the Kenwood MP3 Keg. If and when I ever get this car...I'm thinking of waiting for the MazdaSpeed6, I am definitley going to consider this thing. Holdes 5 or 10,000 MP3's??? DAMN!

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp

Never need a CD again! I need to put in an order on this car sometime soon though. DO you think financing will go down after the RX8 comes out? I know its off topic, but.....

·
Registered
683 Posts

Originally posted by jopp57

If you guys all want MP3 Capability...look into getting the Kenwood MP3 Keg.  If and when I ever get this car...I'm thinking of waiting for the MazdaSpeed6, I am definitley going to consider this thing.  Holdes 5 or 10,000 MP3's???  DAMN!

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp

Never need a CD again!  I need to put in an order on this car sometime soon though.  DO you think financing will go down after the RX8 comes out?  I know its off topic, but.....[/b]
still like my empeg unit better...everything self contined in the head unit makes it a whole lot easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts