Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to my dealer, the mp3 option will be available on the 28th of this month. If you order your 6 from here on out it can come with the mp3 installed from the factory to save you some cash instead of having it installed afterwards. Back in January they tried to tell me it might require bose, but it can actually come with the standard system

my car has been order for months but i had the order on hold till the mp3 was available (i still got my max so waiting is fairly easy). they are now saying the wait on orders is 4-6 weeks (from the time the order is submitted to mazda, not the time you acually order) rather than 8+ weeks, sounds like mazda is upping production :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Replying to Topic 'MP3, ORDERING UPDATES'

That's cool. Does it replace the 6 cd changer in the bose package? What's the MSRP?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Reading Topic: MP3, ORDERING UPDATES

Ah, good to hear it's still on target for the end of the month. I wonder when dealer orders will come in... Ordered mine with the car, so I'll be taking my 6s back in to get it installed.

Were you able to confirm whether it was compatible with the Bose stuff? I didn't go Bose because I was unable to find that info. Too late for me now, but I'm still curious.

ugk, retail price is $380.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Just got an email from my dealer confirming the 28th date. They expect to have my player then. If they do, I should be getting it put in on the 31st...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

So is it an add-on to the factory or bose system? How exactly should it integrate into the console? It seems strange that it would give you a second slot to play MP3 discs.

·
Registered
657 Posts

It doesn't. It replaces the CD player.

One thing I'm going to try to research: Replacing the second MD/cassette slot with a NetMD equipped MD player (this would have to be rigged, obviously) to try to get an MP3 option on minidisc. Right now though, it doesn't look feasible.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

It doesn't.  It replaces the CD player.

One thing I'm going to try to research:  Replacing the second MD/cassette slot with a NetMD equipped MD player (this would have to be rigged, obviously) to try to get an MP3 option on minidisc.  Right now though, it doesn't look feasible.[/b]
Wouldn't getting the factory MD player and using a portable NetMD to record music solve this problem?

·
Registered
657 Posts

You'd need a NetMD equiped player to store the 5 hours worth of MP3s, otherwise the disc will just give an error, not reading the data due to a different compression ratio. Frankly though, I'm only contemplating this out of boredom. I fit 20 songs on a CD, and 6 CDs in dash, I really don't think I'll need much more.

However, I just got an MP3 discman (iRiver IMP-350, great unit) and I'm loving the fact that I carry around 450-550 songs on 3 CDs in my backpack.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

It doesn't.  It replaces the CD player.

One thing I'm going to try to research:  Replacing the second MD/cassette slot with a NetMD equipped MD player (this would have to be rigged, obviously) to try to get an MP3 option on minidisc.  Right now though, it doesn't look feasible.[/b]
So my next question would be: Is there a difference between the head units in the bose and factory stereo systems? Does bose just change the speaker/amp set or does it also change the in-dash head unit? That being said/asked, does the mp3 player have 6-disc capability or just single disc? It seems as though paying $380 for the MP3 player only to lose the changer altogether is two-steps in the wrong direction. You'd think they'd give you a credit for losing the in-dash changer.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

i dunno, a changer/bose was never in mind for me. but ill see if i can find out for ya

·
Registered
305 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13It seems as though paying $380 for the MP3 player only to lose the changer altogether is two-steps in the wrong direction.  You'd think they'd give you a credit for losing the in-dash changer.[/b]
Well, your dealer should give you the changer back after installing the MP3 player, and I'm sure you could get about $300 for it selling it online or on eBay.

As for the configuration of the MP3 player, etc... Assuming my dealer does get it in on the 28th, I'll be having it put in on the 31st. I'll take some digital images of the back of it before they put it in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
MP3 Status

For those of you thinking about getting your dealers to install MP3 players, or who have them on order, here's the status update I got from my dealer today:

The latest is that the warehouse will receive the MP3 player this Monday.  Delivery to the dealership will be two days later.  the panel will be shipped to the warehouse on friday, delivery Monday of next week.[/b]
I can't believe I have to wait an additional week for the panel, which is nothing but a replacement for the existing panel that says "MP3/CD" instead of "MP3." But I will, since I've already paid for it...

Besides, I can experiment with painting the old panel. :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

IM GETTING PISSED!

talked to the manager (my sales girl is on vacation) and he said they arent expecting getting the mp3 players. a few weeks ago she said the 28th, and that it will be ordered with my car and installed from the factory. now he says the mp3's are still unavalible from mazda and when it is it will be a DIO

you guys hearing the same thing from your dealers? b/c if not, im getting my deposit back and going somewhere else. ive waited long enough

·
Registered
305 Posts

Choppaboy,

Well, I don't think it being a DIO is a big deal, as long as you negotiate free or cheap labor when buying the car. :) It doesn't surprise me -- MP3 playback is still a "niche" enough feature that I can see why they wouldn't put it in the cars that will sit on the lot. (And Mazda seems to not want to make cars in anything but "lot" configurations, unfortunately.)

I should have an update tomorrow on whether my player has come in. Last I checked they were expecting the player yesterday and the panel this coming Monday.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Funny thing, I called Mazda Canada about my MP3 option as well. The rep told me that they have the unit in their warehouse but she told me they are waiting on the front panel.

I asked why? She said they are behind that panel because they are busy with the regular one that is installed on standard M6.

The only difference between the regular panel and MP3 panel is the button labels are different, plust no LOAD button (I have the 6CD changer).

Damn them. I been waiting for months too. I thought I would get it with my car. I picked a different car so I can get it earlier and knew the MP3 would be late but it is unbearable.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: MP3, ORDERING UPDATES

yea, i dont think the mp3 should ever have been advertised in their accessories brochure from the start

danny, your right the DIO really isnt a big deal, i was just trying to point out the different info they have given me. im interested to hear what your dealer says about the mp3. keep us informed.

a lot of people think this isnt a big deal, but i dont want to be stuck with a standard cd player and panel and dish out the xtra $$$ to have the mp3. chances would be very slim in getting rid of the standard cd player/panel, so why put myself in that situation

·
Registered
305 Posts

Latest update:
The Players/Panels just arrived at "port." It's going to take about a week for them to get to the east coast distribution point (Mass.); and a couple more days to get out to dealers. So we're looking at mid-April now. :sigh: At least they're on the continent.

Choppaboy,

Right, but even if the MP3 Player was available from the factory, the price wouldn't be any lower. That's why I didn't think it was a big deal. Even though you wouldn't be getting the single-disc player too, they wouldn't credit you for the fact that you weren't...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

i see what you are saying denny, i was thinking if it is available from the factory i wouldnt have to pay for the standard cd player, but thats not the case.

makes sense now!

·
Registered
6 Posts

so do i understand correctly that the mp3 modul can only be build into the car by the dealer where i buy it in exchange for the standard radio/cassette/cd/cd changer and have to pay additionally ? i still cannot order the car directly from factory with the mp3 modul already mounted ?

thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts