Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my MP3 player in last Tuesday. It's awesome. (And you audiophiles, it'll play up to 320K bps VBR. You are NOT going to hear the difference between 320K VBR and an audio CD -- at least, not on the stock Mazda speakers!

Here's the message I had to post over on Edmunds since this board was in SQ-Hell:

MP3 player is nice. Plays bitrates up to 320Kbps (and also plays stuff sampled at low rates, such as audiobooks). Folder navigation is logical, and it can show filenames as well as ID3 info (artist, album, song name). And while I *could* be imagining this, I believe it has a slightly higher power output, because to my ears regular CD playback was slightly less cruddy than with the stock single disc head unit. I'm pleased.

The "panel" that you order with the MP3 player, by the way, is just the piece of plastic around the slot that the CD goes in. It has an "MP3" logo on the left.

Autodim mirror's cool, too, although the wire bundle is a lot more obnoxious than with a factory installation. Not a big deal -- I'll stop noticing it soon. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading Topic: MP3 -- Got it!

I paid retail for it, as I bought it when I bought the car and got plenty of discount on the car itself -- $380 for the MP3 player. Paid 4 hours labor for the MP3, spoiler, and autodim mirror, which worked out to be a deal as all together those apparently took well over 6 hours.

If you're up for taking your dash apart, you can get the player for $271 from http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1429

(Or you can use that as bargaining to get a better price from your dealer, if you want a dealer install...)

Navigation works just like the 6-disc player -- it treats each directory as if it were a CD.

·
Registered
376 Posts

it's been two weeks since my dealer got the player but not the "panel" and he tried install it without the panel, and told me it doesn't fit...

is it long to wait for the panel from mazdastuff? i think i'll order it for my dealer... *&?%$/

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mazda666,

The "Panel" is just the piece of plastic that surrounds the CD slot -- the big, long oval. The CD and MP3 versions are identical -- the only difference is that the MP3 version says "MP3" on it. I just went down to my car and compared the one they pulled with the one in there, to be sure.

Your dealer either didn't try, or screwed up elsewhere and thought the panel was the problem.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Replying to Topic 'MP3 -- Got it!'

Originally posted by DennyA

The "Panel" is just the piece of plastic that surrounds the CD slot -- the big, long oval. The CD and MP3 versions are identical -- the only difference is that the MP3 version says "MP3" on it. I just went down to my car and compared the one they pulled with the one in there, to be sure.[/b]
Hey DennyA, I'm curious.

I thought the MP3 player went in where the cassette or MiniDisc player would go. Does it actually go in where the CD player would be, in place of it? Does it support 6 discs like the Bose changer does? If it does, and if you can still get the cassette player module, then that's exactly what I would want. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

SDSilver6,

Nope, the MP3 player goes where the CD player normally fits.

It supports only one disc. (Although it "acts" like a multi-disc player; each directory is treated as if it was a separate disc.)

You can still use the cassette or minidisc with it.

If you don't mind burning MP3 CDs, it's no loss vs the 6 disc changer -- even at 256K or 320K bps (which I'd argue you can't tell from CD audio in an automotive environment); you can still fit more than 6 discs worth of material on a single CD.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Originally posted by DennyA

Nope, the MP3 player goes where the CD player normally fits.

It supports only one disc. (Although it "acts" like a multi-disc player; each directory is treated as if it was a separate disc.)

You can still use the cassette or minidisc with it.

If you don't mind burning MP3 CDs, it's no loss vs the 6 disc changer -- even at 256K or 320K bps (which I'd argue you can't tell from CD audio in an automotive environment); you can still fit more than 6 discs worth of material on a single CD.[/b]
Hmmmm... decisions decisions.

Right now I have a portable CD-based MP3 player, which I used in my Camry via the cassette adapter. So I have no problem with putting stuff on CD -- I've got a few already. Only thing is, if I get the MP3 player, then I'd lose the Bose 6-disc changer that I paid extra for. But on the other hand, I wouldn't need to buy myself a new MP3 player (I was thinking about getting rid of my CD-based one and getting one that plays from CompactFlash cards, and playing it through the cassette adapter once I have the cassette player module).

But.... I switch back and forth between MP3s, CDs, and radio a lot; I don't use cassettes very often. So it might be worth having the extra "bulk" of a portable MP3 player, if it means I can keep 6 CDs in my dash at any given time.

I hate making decisions! ;)

How much did the MP3 player run you again, DennyA? I guess part of the decision will be based on the cost of the MP3 player plus installation, versus the cost of a portable.

Now, if they would just come out with a multi-disc MP3 player... my decision would be made. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts

Originally posted by ugk

This is really great, Im hoping i can get it added with the bose package.. I have over 80 mp3 cds, so this is good news :) :) :)[/b]
Wow, you must've bought a lot of CDs to have ripped that many MP3s.

Me too.

*cough*

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'MP3 -- Got it!'

Yep, they do. Works just like the standard unit, except the "disc ^" and disc down buttons change MP3 directories.

·
Registered
376 Posts

let's say it works just like the 6 cds changer, the directories of an mp3 cd acts like single cds... plus it shows the filename and/or the ID3 tag...

·
Registered
498 Posts

Ok, got a few questions about the MP3 player... :)

1) Is there a limit to how many directories you can have on a CD?

2) Do little numbers show up above the track/position indicators, like on the 6-disc changer? Or how does it display? Perhaps a few pictures of the display are in order. :)

3) Can the MP3 player play CD-RWs, or only CD-Rs?

All I can think of for now.

I got myself a simple little MP3 player that plugs into the cassette player via an adapter. It works, but the disadvantages are 1) having to control the player separately, w/o use of the steering wheel buttons; 2) can't hold as much as a CD (my player uses Compact Flash, and I have a 512 MB card... it can take a 1 GB card, but those are expensive); 3) Another piece of equipment to have hanging around inside my car.

I wonder if they'll possibly make a multi-disc MP3 player... now that would be aweseome!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.