Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I finally have the details about what is going on. We have the new server nailed down with the following details:

A 3.06Ghz Pentium 4
1500 MB Bandwidth
120 GB HDD space
and 512 MB RAM

This should be plenty of space to move over to and will completely rid itself of the "page not Loading" errors. My goal is to have it moved over THIS weekend and be up and running by Monday. However, if it's not done over the weekend, but later during hte week instead, I will keep the downtime to around 24 hours.

Discuss :)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Why take 24 hours? Do you guys have to drag everything out?

Get the new server completely set up in advance, taking as much time as necessary while the old server is still up. When you're ready, shut down the site, transfer the databases over, bring up the new site and update the DNS. This entire process shouldn't take more than an hour.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The goal is to keep it under 24 hours from start to finish. It's not being dragged out, but in case any problems arise (ala setting the boards back up) I would rather give a larger window, such as 24 hours, rather than a small 1 hour window. See where I am going with this?

Yes, the server should be getting setup right now as we speak and I am waiting for an email to let us know when it's done. If we can keep the downtime to under an hour... All the better!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, i hope the downtime is a day or less because i know its frustrating for you and the members here when the servers down long after the expected time, if it is down for more than 24 hours please keep us updated, i know when the site was down for like a month i almost gave up on the club, but i like the people too much!!! :wub: :wub: .................. :D

D

·
0 Posts
We're expecting Server handoff to be completed Friday afternoon/early evening.

From that point on they'll be able to take care of the site transfer. DNS takes 24 hours normally. However if the update their records now with a 5min-1hour TTL they can do the actual DNS switch and have downtime limited to a matter of minutes.

Good the see the site back up again.

Div.
HopOne/SS

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Originally posted by Absolut@Aug 5 2004, 02:53 PM
Alright... I finally have the details about what is going on.  We have the new server nailed down with the following details:

A 3.06Ghz Pentium 4
1500 MB Bandwidth
120 GB HDD space
and 512 MB RAM

This should be plenty of space to move over to and will completely rid itself of the "page not Loading" errors.  My goal is to have it moved over THIS weekend and be up and running by Monday.  However, if it's not done over the weekend, but later during hte week instead, I will keep the downtime to around 24 hours. 

Discuss :)
[snapback]288514[/snapback]​
the bandwidth... is that transfer per month? And if so, please let that be a mistake... 1.5gig/month? are you serious? you should burn that up in a week...

D

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by g-cubed@Aug 9 2004, 06:43 AM
the bandwidth... is that transfer per month? And if so, please let that be a mistake... 1.5gig/month? are you serious? you should burn that up in a week...
[snapback]289772[/snapback]​
should say 1500 GB a month.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
you call that server. i would use that as as a workstation =) after i added more ram.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
is this ever happening? I thought the whole reason for the downtime was to fix all these page errors, of which, granted you cut them down slightly, but they still happen all the time and are so damn annoying...

·
Registered
459 Posts
thanks for everything you're doing man, without the effort of our fearless admins this site and all the help i get off of it would never have been.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Well we finally found a good host, and the switch over should be done early this week. Please be patience with any downtime, however, we hope it to be less than a hour.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
The old host (finally gone!) was a serious problem. We had many issues with hardware failures (being the latest one of the last few days). The next issue was accessing our mysql database to grab the forum. It took almost 2 weeks just to get them to enable SSH access properly. With the latest hardware failure they moved everything to a new server, which again needed them to enable SSH, and once that was done, there was some problems with the database after they moved it.

Long story short now, we're on the new server, completely different company, local company whom I know the owner personally, and can hope to say this will be the last move for a long time to come. If you notice any problems, PLEASE bring it up, and we'll try to address it asap. (yes you can laugh).

·
Registered
33 Posts
great forums man, keep up the good work you guys!!!

i did notice the other day, the SQL DB problem, your server was getting a lot of traffic and shutdown the site for a couple of minutes.

other than that, great work and love the information and community on here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts