Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy my own 6, although it may be a while! However, is the car a rewarding transition from the previous vehicle? I drive a 1989 SHO, 220fwhp DOHC 24V Yamaha V6. Us SHO folks over at the SHOforum have been quite interested in these cars. I consider them to be the next SHO...

And nice forum you've got here! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Moving from other vehicles to a 6'

Welcome! The SHO were simply great cars... Anyway, I have a piece of advice for you: If you're not planning on getting a new car soon, DON'T test drive a 6!!! If you do, chances are you won't be able to resist and it might drive you insane :D

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Reading Topic: Moving from other vehicles to a 6

It might even drive people insane who have test driven the 6, ordered it and now are waiting for it :D

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by CzechMate

Welcome! The SHO were simply great cars... Anyway, I have a piece of advice for you: If you're not planning on getting a new car soon, DON'T test drive a 6!!! If you do, chances are you won't be able to resist and it might drive you insane :D[/b]
That is the most truthful thing I think I've heard on this board. I received a test drive invitation from Mazda back in January, so I went to my local dealer to test drive one. I ended up testing a silver 6s manual without any intention of buying at the time (those who know me, I'm waiting for the hatchback). By the time my test drive was over, I was fighting with myself not to buy the car right then and there. Since then, there hasn't been a day that's gone by that I HAVEN'T thought about the 6. I want it soooooo bad... I'm at constant war with myself.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Rendyx,

Coming from an '89, I think the biggest shock you'll find is how much cars have improved in the past 13 years. I got my Mazda 6 after driving an '89 Probe (I did have a Miata for two years in between, but it's a fairly retro car -- very basic). I was shocked at how the 6 can handle so well, yet have such a smooth ride. The quality of construction inside and out is a major change as well. I knew I'd like the 6 (big fan of Mazda handling from the Miata, and I devored all the reviews and online comments); but after the test drive, I didn't even regret that I was going to have to sell the Miata.

...Denny

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Originally posted by CzechMate

Welcome! The SHO were simply great cars... Anyway, I have a piece of advice for you: If you're not planning on getting a new car soon, DON'T test drive a 6!!! If you do, chances are you won't be able to resist and it might drive you insane :D[/b]
Almost sounds like I want to keep my paws off it for now!:p

·
Registered
109 Posts

I made a pretty big step up buying my Mazda 6 s

I was driving a 1992 Saturn SL2 (124 hp!!!!)

Great car, never broke down in 11 yrs and 122k miles of owning.

I do miss getting 30 MPG!

But the style of my 6 makes up for it all.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I can beat that. I'm left to drive an '88 Accord until my 6 arrives. Something like 92hp. :D

<----- I'm missing the 320hp I had with this.

·
Registered
895 Posts

What's with all the old accord drivers getting a 6?

I'm pimping a 5sp '89 Accord Lxi. It's a great car, drives well and has been very good to me after I've punished it repeatedly for many years.

But I've reached 130+K miles and don't want to risk it any longer, so my rusty baby will go to some lucky college student.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Well, I have had a love affair with my 7g Mitsubishi Galant for over 3 years now. I know what you guys are thinking... "a Galant!?, GTF outta here!" but it's true. I have dumped somewhere around $5K into that car over the years building it fron the ground back up. I am one of the few that completed a 2.4L block to mate on a DOHC head and then turbo charge it with a TD05-16g. The car is sweet, but the 6 is just...well...sweeter! This is the first brand sankin' new car I have ever owned and it's just what the doctor ordered. Even if the aftermarket support is not here yet, I have no doubts that it will be, and I am happy with my stock 6 as it is. My new V6 with sport-tronic (?) can blow the doors off of my heavy modded Galant... which is sad and exciting for me at the same time :hammerhea

·
Registered
16 Posts

Im trading my Protege '97 ( ~90hp ) for the Mazda6 AT GT-V6 ( 6s ).

2True: sport-tronic (?)

I asked my dealer about this and here in Canada it's called Sport-Shift. Well it all means the same to me: Not better than a manual tranny but funnier than the automatic. :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

2True:
If your Galant is the same model as we have in Sweden (you never can be too sure about Japanese cars) I would not be ashamed of a car like that! Those cars are among the best looking middle class cars I know of. You have any pics of it? We love pics here you know! :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I am definitely with you on the SHO rendyx.......I'm probably still the biggest fan of it. I will never cease to talk about how great the SHO was. I had a 1990 that I modded to almost 300HP...chipped, high-flow Y, cat backs, K&N, MAF, etc etc, I still miss it. I truly believe the SHO had/has the greatest engine ever built.

The Mazda 6 is definitely a good car, but not on the same plane as the SHO was back when it was released. The 6 is better than the SHO, but it should be...this is 2003, however the 6 is not a decade ahead of its time..like the SHO was. It took 10yrs for all of the rest of the cars to catch up with the legacy of the SHO.

The 6 is using a generic Duratec block instead of something revolutionary like the Yamaha, the handling is great, but BMWs are still the market leader, and the looks are definitely at the top of its class.....something the SHO just didnt' have bragging rights to.

If Ford had any sense whatsoever they would have used the Yamaha for everything it could give them.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

What's with all the old accord drivers getting a 6?

I'm pimping a 5sp '89 Accord Lxi.  It's a great car, drives well and has been very good to me after I've punished it repeatedly for many years.

But I've reached 130+K miles and don't want to risk it any longer, so my rusty baby will go to some lucky college student.[/b]
It's because the 6 is such a great car and every other car in it's class and price range, is no match for the 6.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Man all these SHO fans...that was the car I wanted for a long time, 4-door that could keep up with my mustang, dad had to rub that in every chance he got ;) That was my impression of the 6 though, no it doesnt rev as high, man that was a ruch watching the tach needle, but it also doesnt have the dreaded torque steer the SHO had either and If I remember right is still cheaper than an SHO was new and its a decade later!

·
Registered
6,082 Posts

Originally posted by diesel5599

I am definitely with you on the SHO rendyx.......I'm probably still the biggest fan of it. I will never cease to talk about how great the SHO was. I had a 1990 that I modded to almost 300HP...chipped, high-flow Y, cat backs, K&N, MAF, etc etc,  I still miss it. I truly believe the SHO had/has the greatest engine ever built.

The Mazda 6 is definitely a good car, but not on the same plane as the SHO was back when it was released. The 6 is better than the SHO, but it should be...this is 2003, however the 6 is not a decade ahead of its time..like the SHO was. It took 10yrs for all of the rest of the cars to catch up with the legacy of the SHO.

The 6 is using a generic Duratec block instead of something revolutionary like the Yamaha, the handling is great, but BMWs are still the market leader, and the looks are definitely at the top of its class.....something the SHO just didnt' have bragging rights to.

If Ford had any sense whatsoever they would have used the Yamaha for everything it could give them.[/b]

300hp I like the sound of that. Did you have a supercharger?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Moving from other vehicles to a 6

I walked away (lease end) from a '00 Intrepid R/T to get into my 6 GT-V6. Never looked back. With 244hp the R/T was a fun car to own, although she was kinda thirsty. I thought I would miss the size, but I don't. I sure as hell don't miss the automatic!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.