Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to upshift manually the other day and all of a sudden WAAAAAAAA! The engine revs go screaming towards red-line. Instantly i knew what i did. My last car would down shift (aka back shift) when the lever was moved BACK and vice versa. Logical. This one is reversed.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the car but i just don't see this as making sense.
Modifiying seems not practical, so I guess i just have to get used to it.
Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Actually, that's the way it's supposed to be. Your old car was wrong.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
shouldnt have gotten an ATX, you wouldnt be arguing with your transmission right now :nana:

·
Registered
531 Posts
[/b]

I agree, it seems much more natural (like using a joystick) to pull back for upshifting. Personally I hate the other way round and glad Mazda never changed it. However, it's not hard to get used to either way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Subarus upshift when you push the lever forward. I prefer to upshift when I'm pulling back on the stick. Seems more natural to me.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My mom's 98 Dodge Stratus( never agin will I talk about this for I'm embarrassed by saying this) was a 4speed ATX that upshifted left and downshifted right. I miss the good ol days of riding around town in 2nd gear at like 50mph.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I agree that Mazda got it right with the manual shifter. I don't think I could stand to use Manual mode if I had to push the shifter forward to upshift. That just doesn't seem natural to me.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had the same assumption in the begining, but you get used to it really quick anyway so shouldn't be a problem unless it become a pet peeves or someone is really anal about this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[/b]
Ha Ha Ha
Dang! Thats the attitude.

The sequential manual gear lever for the racing Mazda6's shift up when you pull and shift down when you push. Therefore, our shifter is spot on IMHO.
[/b]
I never drove a Mazda race car.

I had the same assumption in the begining, but you get used to it really quick anyway so shouldn't be a problem unless it become a pet peeves or someone is really anal about this issue.
[/b]
Yes, it just seems logical to equate up with forward. This is all I was saying.
A motorcycle trans is also sequential and upshifts when pulled up.
I'm pretty certain I'll get used to it, its just probably that I still own the "old" car so I'm constantly switching back and forth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well neither have I, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)
[/b]
oh...touche'.

He got you there..

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
im a first timer with the sport tronic/ w/e u wanna call it, and the first time i used it i kept pushing it forward getting agrevated why it wouldnt go into second. Then i realized i was trying to down shift in first ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"im a first timer with the sport tronic/ w/e u wanna call it, and the first time i used it i kept pushing it forward getting agrevated why it wouldnt go into second. Then i realized i was trying to down shift in first"

Yes, it just seems like "forward" should be associated with "accelerating" and "up", as in "upshifting". I was surprised at all the backwards people (note: i'm only joking) who thought it was the other way.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
All race cars with a sequential shift stick have back for upshift and forward for downshift. It's easier to push forward multiple times quickly than pull back multiple times quickly, and you occassionally need to downshift quickly but never need to upshift several times in a row. And when braking the forward inertia makes it easier to push the stick forward for downshift than pulling it backward.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
What?
Are you serious?[/b]
No. Not really. It was a joke, hence the smiley. But since you don't get jokes and you want a serious discussion, here's a pic of the sequential manual gear lever I speak of:

I think that is a picture of Mary Katherine's Mazdaspeed Protege cockpit that I took on that one fateful day that I escaped from Mother's basement. All of the Mazdas have basically the same mechanism and operation. Based on descriptions of its operation by both Tindol and Tri-Point camps during a race, it just made sense that the downshift is to push based on ergonomics, for starters. Why? You downshift when you're slowing down for a turn. What happens when you slow down from high speed? The gobs of G's are pushing you TOWARDS the front of the car, as Awong mentioned. No big surprise there, that's just elementary physics. If the input was the other way (pull to downshift) your arm action would be opposite the G direction. Your arm would be fighting the G's, and could potentially hasten driver fatigue. In ergonomics, it's a good idea to make use the forces available to you instead of fighting those forces.

Now, obviously our normal driving environment differs greatly compared to the World Challenge cars, but the layout does present a more ergonomic layout compared to the other way.

IMHO A bigger, more important issue than the way the AT shift lever works would be the need for an extra notch on the shift gate - something between auto D and N. Something that will act as a buffer, in case the operator thinks he is in Manual D when really he is in Auto D and he attempts to downshift - which puts the car in N instead and causing all sorts of havoc! IMHO a fail safe gate above Auto D is needed. Therefore if the operator "downshifts" while in Auto D, the car stays in Auto D and does not go into neutral.

Oh, I see now. The references to commercials and joysticks ... this is the input from many teenage kids living in their mom’s basement, spending all their time watching TV, playing video games and posting on the ‘net. Tell the truth now, its really your mom’s Six right?[/b]
The checklist:

Teenage kid...I wish
Living in mom's basement...I wish. Life would be helluva cheaper.
Spending time watching TV, playing videogames, posting on the net...the typical American if you ask me. What's your point?
Mom's 6...I wish. It'd be cheaper for me too.

Honestly, you're pretty good at flaming. You should join us here and let loose the dogs of war on my arse over there.

I posted originally with the intent of inspiring some conversation to keep things interesting.[/b]
Is this post interesting enough for you?

Bottom line: try to post things that add to the forums and BTW, leave your mom’s basement occaisonally!
[/b]
Two years in this forum, and I have added much in terms of content and levity to a lot of discussions here. 'Tis no boast. My record will attest to it. By the way, please talk my mom into letting me live in her basement. It would really help my bills a lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. Not really. It was a joke, hence the smiley. But since you don't get jokes and you want a serious discussion, here's a pic of the sequential manual gear lever I speak of:

i noticed the smiley immediately after posting that reply, thats why i deleted it right after. My bad for trying to do too much too quickly.

I wholly agree on the Neutral block you write about TBW. I haven't done that yet on the 6, but until I got used to it, I did it a few times on the last car.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
mazda's sport shift setup makes sense. its how it should be in all cars with an automatic transmission.

i drove an acura TL for shits and giggles when my friend was looking for a car. it was down to the TL or the 6 for him and it took me a minute, staring at the plate around the shift knob, to understand that the TL's up/down shifting was different that my 6.

so i took off and shifted; it felt so unnatural. retarded, really. i asked the guy why mazda had the setup and it was what everyone else here said: braking = body forward = easier down shift. acceleration = body back = easier up shift.

the TL was boring anyways...i preferred my 160hp 4 banger over its 270hp "yawn, why'd you wake me up" v6. i really dont ever want to drive a "luxury" minded vehicle again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
IMHO A bigger, more important issue than the way the AT shift lever works would be the need for an extra notch on the shift gate - something between auto D and N. Something that will act as a buffer, in case the operator thinks he is in Manual D when really he is in Auto D and he attempts to downshift - which puts the car in N instead and causing all sorts of havoc! IMHO a fail safe gate above Auto D is needed. Therefore if the operator "downshifts" while in Auto D, the car stays in Auto D and does not go into neutral.
[/b]
YES, I've made that error numerous times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts