967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wrong section baby......should be in the other Mazda Category
[/b]
Then let the mods move it. :sarc:

·
Registered
651 Posts
edmunds.com has a mazdaspeed 3 video out now.

I posted it in other pictures/videos section. Click on video on the link below.

edmunds.com mazdaspeed 3

Speed3 is trapping 100mph in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Very impressive. I told you guy's this was going to be very fast car!!!! :D The price point is awesome as well. Might be trading the Speed6 for one MUUUUHAHAHA!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, it's gotten good reviews from both Motor Trend and the new Car and Driver. I just really need something bigger than the 3, I also dig AWD so I'll probably stick with my Speed6 but will probably try to finagle a Speed3 test drive out of the dealership we bought our two Mazdas from.

The best thing for me is that tons of aftermarket performance parts should come from the intro of the Speed3.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Glad to see the MS3 make a good showing! Especially against a car as reputable and recently updated as the 06 WRX. Although I think they should have considered a 5 car comparo of the MS3, WRX TR, VW GTI, Civic Si & Cobalt SS. I'm sure the MS3 would have still beat out all contenders, but the WRX is getting a bit long in the tooth (coming from a former WRX owner), and I think it's about time for Subaru to update their chassis to compete with current offerings from other companies.

Don't get me wrong, the added displacement, larger brakes & larger wheels are nice upgrades for the WRX, but in my opinion it's slowly becoming a bit dated. If they were to do another comparo, just to see the full potential of both cars, it would have been nice to see them both shod with the same tires, so there would be no room for excuses, as the WRX wears sub-par Potenza RE-92 all-seasons. When I had my WRX, I swapped out my tires for another set of all seasons(ultra high performance ones lol)- Pirelli P Zero Neros- and the handling limits of the car drastically changed.

Congrats to the MS3 for beating out the Subie, but I would love to read a write up comparing it to other sporty FWD cars in it's class. Especially since it was supposed to be a direct competitor to the VW GTI, however I'm pretty sure I already know the outcome of that comparo as well ;)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Very impressive. I told you guy's this was going to be very fast car!!!! :D The price point is awesome as well. Might be trading the Speed6 for one MUUUUHAHAHA!!!
[/b]
WTF that would be stupid.....

·
Registered
829 Posts
WTF that would be stupid.....
[/b]
Just because you want a MS6 doesn't mean it's the perfect car for everyone else.

Although it's sad, if I were to trade in a MS6 for a 3, I would probably have to PAY more money to do it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to see the MS3 make a good showing! Especially against a car as reputable and recently updated as the 06 WRX. Although I think they should have considered a 5 car comparo of the MS3, WRX TR, VW GTI, Civic Si & Cobalt SS. I'm sure the MS3 would have still beat out all contenders, but the WRX is getting a bit long in the tooth (coming from a former WRX owner), and I think it's about time for Subaru to update their chassis to compete with current offerings from other companies.

Don't get me wrong, the added displacement, larger brakes & larger wheels are nice upgrades for the WRX, but in my opinion it's slowly becoming a bit dated. If they were to do another comparo, just to see the full potential of both cars, it would have been nice to see them both shod with the same tires, so there would be no room for excuses, as the WRX wears sub-par Potenza RE-92 all-seasons. When I had my WRX, I swapped out my tires for another set of all seasons(ultra high performance ones lol)- Pirelli P Zero Neros- and the handling limits of the car drastically changed.

Congrats to the MS3 for beating out the Subie, but I would love to read a write up comparing it to other sporty FWD cars in it's class. Especially since it was supposed to be a direct competitor to the VW GTI, however I'm pretty sure I already know the outcome of that comparo as well ;)
[/b]
It would have been nice to see it compared to the other rivals, but I'm sure those comparos will come. As for having them shod in the same tires. They were going for stock vs. stock. Replacing the tires would defeat that point. I love my MS6, however like those said, I'm gonna take a run in the MS3 for sure when it comes out. :)

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
It would have been nice to see it compared to the other rivals, but I'm sure those comparos will come. As for having them shod in the same tires. They were going for stock vs. stock. Replacing the tires would defeat that point. I love my MS6, however like those said, I'm gonna take a run in the MS3 for sure when it comes out. :)
[/b]
In addition to their extensive and very glowing review of the MS3, Winding Road briefly compared the MS3 to all major competitors, including the GTI. You can read their free (and, IMHO, the best out there and I subscribe to about 10 different car rags) magazine at WindingRoad.com

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Just because you want a MS6 doesn't mean it's the perfect car for everyone else.

Although it's sad, if I were to trade in a MS6 for a 3, I would probably have to PAY more money to do it.
[/b]
Little Richie - "SHUT UP!!!"

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The article says all drivers found the WRX to be the superior autocrossing vehicle, and that it was held back by a soft suspension and all-season tires. These things are easily replacable and a zillion different solutions exist for the WRX. Mazda knows how to deliver, from the factory, a far better car than Subaru. However, it doesn't take much to make a Subaru devistatingly better than its stock counterpart. I guess I don't think these test results have much real-world meaning.

Besides, the 2003 Mazda6 i acheived a higher skidpad result than the Mazdaspeed3.

The WRX fails at refinement; it's a crude car. In that sense, it majorly needs an update. However, considering that the car has great crash test ratings and AWD while still weighing in at the same weight as the Mazdaspeed, I think this crude-ness may be from a lack of sound deadening rather. The car will be redesigned for 2008, I hope it stays light-ish. The Legacy chassis on which it is being developed is very refined, even lighter for its size and class, and more sophisticated. I think it'll put the Impreza at the top of its class again.

I see the WRX as the tuner car of choice and the Mazdaspeed3 as the best option for a guy who wants to keep it close to stock.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
it majorly needs an update. [/b]
"Majorly?"

"Major Lee?"

"Lee Majors?"

:nana:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like seeing the MS3 do well in reviews, it's like watching your little brother do well...

Oddly enough my little brother is lighter and faster than me as well...plus uglier :nana: just like the MS3 is to the MS6!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I see the WRX as the tuner car of choice and the Mazdaspeed3 as the best option for a guy who wants to keep it close to stock.
[/b]
I agree. But this isn't the only reason I chose the speed3 over the WRX wagon. For one I think it looks a whole lot better (some might debate this) and I trust the transmission in the speed3 more. Not that I think the WRX's tranny is particularly crappy, but reading the horror stories on the Nasoic and ClubWRX forums doesn't help to disuade that notion. All in all they're both kickass cars and while the Speed3 isn't the best autocrosser, it's still a car one can take to the track with confidence.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I agree. But this isn't the only reason I chose the speed3 over the WRX wagon. For one I think it looks a whole lot better (some might debate this) and I trust the transmission in the speed3 more. Not that I think the WRX's tranny is particularly crappy, but reading the horror stories on the Nasoic and ClubWRX forums doesn't help to disuade that notion. All in all they're both kickass cars and while the Speed3 isn't the best autocrosser, it's still a car one can take to the track with confidence.
[/b]
I think the Mazdaspeed3 is gorgeous, and the WRX wagon is particularly ugly. I don't think you'll find too many arguing that point. The wagon, to be fair, is a larger car- a true (though compact) wagon. I think the Mazda3 hatch is the perfect form of car- smaller, yet still practical. It looks like the next WRX wagon may be shrinking to become more 3-sized.

In regards to the transmission, the WRX tranny is very strong. Only in 2002-2003 did the horror stories develop, and they were only from bone-heads who were abusing it. It's much easier to snap something in an AWD car when your front tires aren't eager to give up. Subaru made the tranny stronger, though, and then made it stronger again when the Legacy came out. The STI transmission is made out of adamantium.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts