Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I recently picked up a 04 mazda3(I know its a mazda6 forum but the 3 forums dont seem to be much help) with the 2.3 motor which is blown. I picked up a motor from Craigslist that supposedly was a 2.3, which turns out to be a 2.0. I did not check the part number on the block, instead i checked the numbers on the head which actually turned out to be the same head as 2.3. (06-08 2.0 models) my problem now is that im stuck with a 2.0 motor, I know they are physically the same, as well as the bore being the same, just different stroke. But my questions is, since the crank pulley has a different amount of teeth on it, can I swap out the original crank pulley and run my original cams to make the motor work? I assume it should since, the crank pulley work in conjunction with the cam/ cam sensor, But I would like any input before I get too far ahead of myself. I know that when i did the fusion 2.3 in my mazda6, i changed out the pulley and cam gears and it works perfectly fine, just not sure how it would work on the 2.0. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?..... I guess ill find out real soon if it works or not, So far i swapped out the cams and crank pulley and set engine timing. I did have to use the 2.0 cam gears since they use a different chain. but im using 2.3 cams. Hopefully ill have it in n a few days and see if it works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Guys(and Gals.) Its official, you CAN swap in a 2.0 into a mazda3 that has a 2.3, and use all of your stock 2.3 harness,ecu, etc. It does require a small bit of work but I got the car running earlier this morning and it runs great with no CEL. Ill post some details later on the modifications needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts