Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am planning on upgrading the motor mounts and wanted to know if anyone had experience with this. Additionally, I was on the Street Unit Performance site and noticed there is an AWR rear mount and a CPE-mount. How many mounts are on our Speed 6 and is it recommended to replace all of them? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to order the CP-E mount and the AWR rear mount or are they just two different brands for the same application? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hey everyone, I am planning on upgrading the motor mounts and wanted to know if anyone had experience with this. Additionally, I was on the Street Unit Performance site and noticed there is an AWR rear mount and a CPE-mount. How many mounts are on our Speed 6 and is it recommended to replace all of them? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to order the CP-E mount and the AWR rear mount or are they just two different brands for the same application? Thanks!
[/b]

Two different brands of the same part.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two different brands of the same part.
[/b]
So how many motormounts do we have? I'm thinking three? If so, do we replace all three with say, the CP-E or is there just one certain mount that tends to break that needs upgrading?

·
Registered
159 Posts
So how many motormounts do we have? I'm thinking three? If so, do we replace all three with say, the CP-E or is there just one certain mount that tends to break that needs upgrading?
[/b]
There is only a replacement for the rear mount near the transmission. There is no replacement yet for the other ones. Your best bet on them is to fill them with silicon to make them stronger, or take them out and have a shop re-press them for you.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you give it a couple months, street unit will have a motor mount kit out that will include at least two mounts (maybe three) for roughly a little more $ than cp-e's one mount. They told me that they would use rubber bushings (similar to cp-e's), for the weak nerved induviduals that buy this car. I went ahead and ordered the awr one, as I am partial to polyurithane. I HOPE some body comes out with a replacement for the differential mounts. They seem to be faulty from the factory and are causing problems like broken axles. I've been saying this since March, and look at the issues going on with peoples cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you give it a couple months, street unit will have a motor mount kit out that will include at least two mounts (maybe three) for roughly a little more $ than cp-e's one mount. They told me that they would use rubber bushings (similar to cp-e's), for the weak nerved induviduals that buy this car. I went ahead and ordered the awr one, as I am partial to polyurithane. I HOPE some body comes out with a replacement for the differential mounts. They seem to be faulty from the factory and are causing problems like broken axles. I've been saying this since March, and look at the issues going on with peoples cars.
[/b]
I have heard rumblings that a company in Arizona is planning on doing a lot of what you are talking about. I think that 4DRHTRD is the one that is working with them

·
Registered
578 Posts
I went with the CP-E engine mount. It took me 20 myself and a buddy to do the install. First reaction was that the car hooks up better when shifting hard, but that is just my opinion.

I definitely recommend the mod.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the CP-E engine mount. It took me 20 myself and a buddy to do the install. First reaction was that the car hooks up better when shifting hard, but that is just my opinion.

I definitely recommend the mod.
[/b]
Sorry if I'm sounding ignorant here but I've worked on lots of other things on a car but haven't done a motor mount. Did you have to put it on a lift or take pressure off the mount by jacking the engine at all when you switched it out? Just wondering what i'm getting into if I replace it myself... Thanks! :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry if I'm sounding ignorant here but I've worked on lots of other things on a car but haven't done a motor mount. Did you have to put it on a lift or take pressure off the mount by jacking the engine at all when you switched it out? Just wondering what i'm getting into if I replace it myself... Thanks! :)
[/b]

You will need to place a jack underneath the tranny.. No big deal. Just find a flat spot on the tranny. I put it on just to the driver's side of the engine mount. Make sure the jack is firmly contacting the tranny so it doesn't drop/move when you unbolt the mount. CP-E says to unbolt the 19mm bolts that hold on part of the mount to get some spacers in, but we just loosened them instead, made a world of difference.

20 minutes max... i spent more time getting the engine cover back on the replacing the engine mount.

Used to live in OK... boomer sooner!

·
Registered
159 Posts
[/b]
Additionally, if you feel REALLY uncomfortable doing it yourself, and dealership or transmission shop should be able to do it in a matter of about 30 minutes and charge no more than $50

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Additionally, if you feel REALLY uncomfortable doing it yourself, and dealership or transmission shop should be able to do it in a matter of about 30 minutes and charge no more than $50
[/b]
Hey thanks for the info., it doesn't sound bad at all I'll try it myself. Yah I know what you mean about that engine cover. Somewhat of a PITA if it isn't on a lift! :)

You will need to place a jack underneath the tranny.. No big deal. Just find a flat spot on the tranny. I put it on just to the driver's side of the engine mount. Make sure the jack is firmly contacting the tranny so it doesn't drop/move when you unbolt the mount. CP-E says to unbolt the 19mm bolts that hold on part of the mount to get some spacers in, but we just loosened them instead, made a world of difference.

20 minutes max... i spent more time getting the engine cover back on the replacing the engine mount.

Used to live in OK... boomer sooner!
[/b]
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot. Where in OK? I'm in OKC. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey thanks for the info., it doesn't sound bad at all I'll try it myself. Yah I know what you mean about that engine cover. Somewhat of a PITA if it isn't on a lift! :)
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot. Where in OK? I'm in OKC. :)
[/b]

went to school at OU, moved to richmond va. i went to the mazda dealer in norman to test drive a speed6 last year. those guys gave me a lot of guff for it and didn't let me drive one unless i confirmed that i would buy it before i test drove it.... if you bought your car from there i hope they treated you better than they did me.

good luck with the mount.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have heard rumblings that a company in Arizona is planning on doing a lot of what you are talking about.
[/b]

Who, Hasport by chance? They make all the honda swap mounts, and likely understand durometer ratings and such by now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Who, Hasport by chance? They make all the honda swap mounts, and likely understand durometer ratings and such by now.
[/b]
No, I think I read that it was AGP turbo. They do Neon stuff and Mitsu stuff. dabears2k was the one that was talking about it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went to school at OU, moved to richmond va. i went to the mazda dealer in norman to test drive a speed6 last year. those guys gave me a lot of guff for it and didn't let me drive one unless i confirmed that i would buy it before i test drove it.... if you bought your car from there i hope they treated you better than they did me.

good luck with the mount.
[/b]
Yah that doesn't surprise me with Reynolds. I bought mine up at Bob Moore Mazda in north OKC. I was actually working there at the time and got a nice employee discount but I know all of treated people better about test drives. I personally took 9 or 10 people out in our demo speed 6 and never gave anyone any flack over it. I wish I would have known, I would happily sold one to you! :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
2 different brands of the same engine mount...
AWR makes strictly race parts, the CP-E mount should be better for a more daily driver.
We at StreetUnit will be coming out with the complete set of engine mounts ourselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts