Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the pics from today at Mosport.

Special thanks to Marlon and his wife for setting up everything with the teams.

Thanks to Tracy and Steve for making it out in such poor weather.

Steve sorry about getting your car covered in mud but I was literally stuck with my bald tires, I owe you a wash.

On to the pics. . . .

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Thanks to all of the Toronto members who showed up this weekend! It was tough going for our teams, but to me they're are all a class act and the appreciate the support that we give them. It was great meeting you guys as we, we look forward to seeing all of you in the near future.

P.S. We'll be doing this again next year, so for all who missed it, you will have another chance. I am sure it will get bigger and better!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm uploading all 200 pictures I have right now. Did you happen to stop by the Focaljet.com Focus? That's our car that we raced.

We're the first University funded and staffed racing team, well ever. We went out to Mosport for our first race and our goal was to just complete the race. Well, we did one better! We finished in the top 20 (17th!) and even got the Holeshot award (6 passes in the first lap)

Crazy thing is we had to replace a c-joint yesterday after qualifying and must have slightly misaligned the susension so the right tire was toed. This caused some real turning problems for the driver and he was very confident we would have gotten in the top 8 if it weren't for that problem!

I'll post some SELECT pics of my 200 when they are finished uploading. I had a blast up there!

(ps- Our crew chief accidently made fun of Frankie Muniz at Canadian Tire when he (Frankie) told the cashier he was a racer, to which the crew cheif replied that he was racing his mothers station wagon. He didn't know it was Malcolm in the Middle until we got back to the paddock!

Edit: I also snagged a pic of 4 6's all in a line in the parking grounds, wonder if it was you guys..... I'll post it when it's available!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yo, what is that carbon fiber piece called (attached to the air dam) on the 1st green mazda6 frontal pic? I'm assuming that's custom and not currently available at any store? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a carbon fiber splitter, made entirely of dry carbon, I think it weights about 2lbs, and after the crash it was untouched, if you look at the pics you can see that the took a good amount of damage. The part costs about $2000, I know because wanted one so bad I had to ask.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Here's my share

Me & Marlon
Yes I'm a big guy...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hah! I think I remember seeing you in the pits! Nice shot of the focaljet :)

Here are some from me:

Our crew and driver:

One of the Mazdaspeed teams 6 came in after hitting some gravel, this was the tire

Who's are these cars?

You'll enjoy this, we need a defroster duct, so using some cardboard, an empty zip-tie tube and some duct tape, it was completed! The driver said he wants to keep it in the car it worked so well!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
you can never get enough pix :D

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Who's are these cars?

You'll enjoy this, we need a defroster duct, so using some cardboard, an empty zip-tie tube and some duct tape, it was completed! The driver said he wants to keep it in the car it worked so well!

[/quote]

The copper hatch is my wife's car, then our members from Toronto. Tracy, Paul and Steve.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I KNEW when I saw all of them Mazda6club had something to do with it :-D

To answer your question about the Tri-point Mazda 6's. here are the specs:

ENGINE: 2.3 Liter/ 4 Cylinder built
by Comptech USA
Compression........ 12.1
Horsepower.......... 265 @ 7800RPM
Torque................. 210 @ 6400
Redline................ 8300
Fuel Injection....... Motec

DRIVETRAIN: Xtrac 5 Speed Sequential

CHASSIS:
Layout...................Front Wheel Drive
Suspension...........· Double A Arm (Front)
· Independent Multi Link (Rear)
· Koni 2822 (4 way adjustable)
· Hypercoil Race Springs
2.25in. x 6.0in.
· Tri-Point Tubular Anti Roll Bars
· Tri-Point Mono Ball
Suspension Pickup Points
· Racing Hart Wheels
17 x 8.0
· Toyo RA 1
235-40-17 Tires

BRAKES: Stop Tech Front and Rear
Front........................ 4 Piston Calipers
Floating Rotors 328nm DIA x 28nm Thick, Aluminum Hat
Rear......................... 2 Piston Calipers
Floating Rotors 328nm DIA x 28nm Thick, Aluminum Hat

INTERIOR:
Recaro Pro Racer Hans Seat
Team Tech 5 Point Harness
Motec ADL Dash Logger
(gauges and data acuisition)

Car Weight with Driver: 2650 lbs.
Top Speed: Approx. 150 mph

·
Registered
160 Posts
To answer your question about the Tri-point Mazda 6's. here are the specs:

[/b]

Nice.

Naive question - why don't they race with speed6's, 2.3 turbo engine, and all that other good stuff? rules and regulations?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice.

Naive question - why don't they race with speed6's, 2.3 turbo engine, and all that other good stuff? rules and regulations?
[/b]
I asked the very same question as I was hoping to see some clones of my Speed6 out there. The best answer I could get was that the teams race whatever they choose. Tri-point Mazda is sponsored by Mazda USA and it is reasonable to assume that they gave them 12 or so 6's and left it at that. Either Mazda didn't want to market the Mazdaspeed6 (SHOCKER) or the teams didn't feel that there would be enough tuning available for an MS6.

They do put regulations and limiters on certain cars. The SR-T that was next to us driven by Robb Holland had a throttle on his turbo down to 8 psi to keep it fair. Since it was raining the Audi's started at the very back of the grid (AWD) and many other various things.

So to sum it up, there is no reason they weren't out there other than they decided against it or perhaps the cars are just too new.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Also, Direct Injection is not allowed by the SCCA, so they could not enter the engine. Secondly, the Speed6 would be to heavy to race, as the the NA 6 uses the 2.3 and the Protege uses the 2.0 engine. Mazdaspeed Motorsports determines which car they can race.

They can race any car they choose, but the will not receive any support from Mazda. The current platform has been successful, as only Acura is ahead of us. This car is only in its 2nd year of full time racing in the series, the Acura have no restrictions on their engines as the Mazda's have.

Our RPM were cut from 8300 to 7800, our motors are sealed, so the internals cannot be changed, whereas the Acura's can do what they want. If you want more information, go to the SCCA boards, there is always discussion about this.

http://www.world-challenge.com/

http://www.scca.com/Pro/Pro.asp?IdS=08AF35...=060|010&~=

1 - 20 of 28 Posts