Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do ya think mazda didn't mazda tune engine to like 240 HP and 220 ft. lbs. like jaguar did with same ford block. I think 240 HP would be enough for stock mazda6. Maybe they'll add like 15 more HP to the hatchback when it comes to USA. Who knows?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: More HP and Torque?

To keep the car well balanced and on regular gas. No doubt they could've made this engine more powerful if they wanted. In a Variable Valve engine, they could have left the low-end timing the same as the stock Duratech to produce monster torque down low, and only varied the timing up high for more power. Instead, they took torque away from the engine down low. I can only imagine this was done for the sake of keeping the car balanced.

Everyone else's thoughts?

·
Registered
514 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's the gas. What with gas prices rising significantly, I'm willing to bet Mazda is using their new engines' mileage capability and thirst for cheaper gas as a selling point, especially considering their competition already has such a strong reputation.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

This is why I'm looking forward to the breather mods, I think it will better smooth out the power curve in the the V6, and give a little extra kick at the top end when you really want to punch the car. I hope that the 20-25 WHP gains from the I/H/E, will make a awesome car absolutely outstanding. And I haven't even gotten into fuel tuning or chipping the vehicle, one only knows what that will do.

·
Registered
980 Posts

There was a discussion before on how much of a gain I/H/E would produce. And it seems as if 20-25 hp gain would be hard to accomplish. Not putting your hopes down but just trying to be realistic.

·
Registered
19 Posts

True be told, it's all about internal politics. Ford would never allow Mazda to show up Jaguar by producing a 6 wil more HP than the much more expensive X-type, though other factors like the cost of premium gas make that decision a little easier.

·
Registered
315 Posts

The cost difference of premium and regular is insignificant compared to actual MPG.
This V6 produces lower power than it should, runs on lower octane and achieves average MPG in the 6 cylinder arena. I believe MPG sells a car more so than it's need for lower octane fuel.
Most people don't have a clue what "octane" is. There are people who use premium (higher octane) in engines that can't benefit and don't need higher octane. However, these folks believe that "premium" means better gas. It doesn't. It's simply an octane rating.
Thus, it makes more sense to get better MPG than use lower octane fuel for the majority of drivers.
I think the 6 has rather lower MPG given it's modest HP and torque numbers, respective to the other cars in it's class.

This chasses could easily handle 240-250hp and similar torque.
As far as FWD handling this torque there are designs that can help such as equal length drive shafts and LSD (limited slip differential).

I think Mazda worked hard on this car and got it very very right. But, the time came to release it before they could extract more power to keep current with the competition. I think within a year or two Mazda will bring the 6 to 240hp, no problem.

Tome

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Blah blah blah, talked about before.

Should be tuned to take advantage of 91-93 octane fuel. There's your extra 15HP right there.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I doubt you'll see gains of 20-25 with just breather mods. That's around a 10% gain.

My guess is that the car breathes pretty well as is as that's one of the easiest things to accomplish and prevents designers from stressing other components on route to power & torque.

BUT - With the Jag pumping out all that extra power, you know the engine can do it. Plus, if there's still 20-25hp left in the motor - the engine isn't in an extreme state of tune and not as highly stressed. That should translate into reliability.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replying to Topic 'More HP and Torque?'

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Blah blah blah, talked about before.

Should be tuned to take advantage of 91-93 octane fuel. There's your extra 15HP right there.[/b]
Honda engineers said the Accord will gain 10HP from premium fuel. Do you think mazda will do the same?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I would like to see Duratec Performance tune and dyno a 6s with a MAFterburner. The dyno plots posted here show the V6 going very rich after 4000RPM. With some tuning of the fuel mixture there may be a surprising amount of HP untapped up there.

·
Registered
78 Posts

the ford escape posted over a 20 whp gain with ihe why do you think the 6 wouldnt do the same??? considering the escape has the same motor minus the variable valve timing....and from my experience with vtec and non vtec motors the vtec motors always benfited more from breather mods...i guess will find out on the 21st when durtec perf. gets done with the final dyno (ihe)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts