Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so as I head towards the 400 WHP mark, I thought it would be cool to run some 19x10" wheels in the rear with 285/30-19's tires.
Brett and I looked at the car a bit originally and we think it can be done. If the ability to adjust the AWD split comes out so that I can make the car RWD I thought it would be cool.
Just back half my rear wheels and widen them, we do it all the time to Impala wheels.

Yes, I'm certifiable BUT wouldn't it be COOL!!!!
:)

Remember the guys who said 19x8 wouldn't fit with 245/35-19's....
:D

Also I'm bored with my car at the dealership so I'm thinking of more ways to mod the wife's DD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK so as I head towards the 400 WHP mark, I thought it would be cool to run some 19x10" wheels in the rear with 285/30-19's tires.
Brett and I looked at the car a bit originally and we think it can be done. If the ability to adjust the AWD split comes out so that I can make the car RWD I thought it would be cool.
Just back half my rear wheels and widen them, we do it all the time to Impala wheels.

Also I'm bored with my car at the dealership so I'm thinking of more ways to mod the wife's DD.[/b]

where do you get the wheels modified at. Id love to add a inch or two on the stockers. Id love to make them a 17x9 and add some meat to the back as well. I have no intentions of lowering my car at all so I know some clearance issues wont be for me!

·
Registered
196 Posts
''If the ability to adjust the AWD split comes out so that I can make the car RWD I thought it would be cool.''

i like that idea, or even 00/100 to 30/70 front/ rear that would be cool just like skylines or lambos

·
Registered
787 Posts

Also I'm bored with my car at the dealership so I'm thinking of more ways to mod the wife's DD.[/b]
How much tq can those axles take? If we know the diameter there is probably a table. Hm, I also wonder if rear axle twist was designed in as a shock absorber for the drivetrain.

·
Registered
922 Posts
How much tq can those axles take? If we know the diameter there is probably a table. Hm, I also wonder if rear axle twist was designed in as a shock absorber for the drivetrain.[/b]
maybe i'm wrong but i think the MS6 axles out back are borrowed from the RX-8... if thats the case, err on the side of caution and expect them to fail with that much tq...

my thinking is this.. if the axles were made for a car with no torque really and what.. 230hp +/- but now they show up on a car with more tq than hp stock..... Hmmm :nono:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sadly, the car can't be made 100% RWD. 50% power to the rear wheels is the max that can be sent. period. The driveshaft is ran off of, I believe the passenger side jack shaft, of sorts. Basically a shaft from the trans to the axle, has a gear on it and power is transfered to the driveshaft via the shaft and gear. There is a pic of it somewhere, don't feel like looking for it at the moment. You want the car to only be rwd, gonna take a whole lot to do it.

.. or weld the front diff, block off the one side witht he axle not powering the rear wheels so oyu don't lose trans fluid, and remove the other axle so only power is sent to the one shaft that sends power to the driveshaft. then, just make the coupling in the back 100% locked. then you would have rear wheel drive... just, using what stock parts are available in a different sort of way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
where do you get the wheels modified at. Id love to add a inch or two on the stockers. Id love to make them a 17x9 and add some meat to the back as well. I have no intentions of lowering my car at all so I know some clearance issues wont be for me![/b]
Mike has forged barrels on his PIAA's, but if i'm not mistaken, i don't think you could, or would want to widen the factory cast rims.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
It's too bad there isn't some sort of mockup tool that someone could use to see exaclty what offset and what size wheels will fit.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I wish I could find a quality wheel place with 19x9s with a 50 offset (I think it should work).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I wish I could find a quality wheel place with 19x9s with a 50 offset (I think it should work).[/b]
won't fit... positive...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
won't fit... positive...[/b]

Are you sure, I've found some nice wheels that are 17x9 with a +49mm offset, that I'd like to try. The key word there being try.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I checked...
to fit 9.5 you need 22-35 offset.
Or you will scratch inner side...

To clear inner side you need 9.0 with 28 offset or 9.5 with 22

·
Registered
477 Posts
I checked...
to fit 9.5 you need 22-35 offset.
Or you will scratch inner side...

To clear inner side you need 9.0 with 28 offset or 9.5 with 22[/b]

I was looking into the same thing yesterday it really looks like 9.5" would be the max width you would fit even with fender rolling. One thing you have to watch our for is the camber gain that happens in the rear when the car squats at launch. That will move the top of the tire into the inner fender. Not sure you could fit a 285 in there and still clear when the suspension compresses.

The best way measure would be to remove the rear spring can jack up the wheel through its full travel and see how close it gets at the top of its travel.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If wide is the name of the game.... 18x9 +45 (I think will work with my tire size of choice, you might even want to go +42) with a 255/35/18....

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm curious why you guys are looking at 19's. Why not 18's? Tires are more readily available and cheaper. Plus less weight.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts