Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturn has unveiled their new line of cars and SUVs, dubbed the Red Line division. Samething as MazdaSpeed to us and SVT to Ford.

The Ion gets some sporty exterior treatment and under the hood lays a 2.0L Ecotec 4-cylinder, turbocharged, pushing 12 PSI, making 200 HP and 200 ft-lbs of torque. Suspension upgrades, Recaro bucket seats, brake upgrades, 215/45/17 Continentals on six-spoke alloys.

The pumped-up Ion hits 60 MPH in the low 6-second range. Price is expected under $20,000 to compete with the Focus SVT, Neon SRT-4, and Civic Si.

The Red Line Vue SUV recieves a Honda 3.5L V6 with 250 HP and 242 ft-lbs of torque, thanks to an engine exchange partnership between GM and Honda, GM gets some of Honda's V6s and Honda gets some of GM's diesel and truck gasoline engines for their first pickup application.

Both the Red Line Ion and Vue go on sale in 2004.

-- Or is this more competition for the MazdaSpeed Protege?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: More Competition For The 6

Pics!

Ion Redline:

Vue Redline:

The Ion is more dramatically different than the Vue. Who knows why they'd supe up an SUV.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Neither vehicle is significant competition to the 6.

The Vue is an SUV, not a sedan.

And the Ion has had horrendous reviews by nearly all the car magazines. It's, perhaps, Saturn's weakest effort ever.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, the Ion appears to be a joke. But that's okay, throw some horses under the hood, and we'll join the souped-up economy car market. Throw a big ol' wing on it, and we'll get the ricers, too.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It's barely competition for the MazdaSpeed Protege. The 6? Not so much. Interesting news about the Redline Vue though. It will have a HONDA 3.5L V6 making about 250 hp. This is supposedly part of an exchange program between GM and Honda. GM gets this, Honda gets the Isuzu diesel for use in Europe.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Ion?!? Competition for the M6?? I think not. The Ion is a plastic pile of slag. The Redline version is boy-racer slag.

Ever get real close up to a Saturn and check out the gaps in the panels? Looks like crap. When it's cold they are enormous because of those silly dent resistant panels which expand and contract with the heat and cold.

Throw 300 horses in Saturn and I'd still take the ride of a 4-cyl Mazda6.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Also, The Chevy Cavalier name is going away with the new Delta platform car that is comming out. It is currently called "Cobalt" and there will be an SS version with a supercharged 4 cyl pumping out 220HP.

However, I don't think either the Cobalt or Saturn Ion are direct competition for the M6. The new Pontiac Grand Am replacement which was thinly disquised as the Pontiac G6 concept car will have 250-260 HP, AWD, and 4 doors, but looks like a coupe. Now that car is a competitor!

Jon

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Anyone a business major? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "redline" the term for a product that has been [mistakenly] taken off inventory, even though it still exists?

So are these Ions that were left laying around?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replying to Topic 'More Competition For The 6'

Originally posted by Jonnyspeed6s

Also, The Chevy Cavalier name is going away with the new Delta platform car that is comming out.  It is currently called "Cobalt" and there will be an SS version with a supercharged 4 cyl pumping out 220HP.[/b]
This is what it is supposedly going to look like (the red car)

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

The Ion is competition with the civic/sentra/protege, I think, not the 6.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Originally posted by 84FordMan

Originally posted by Jonnyspeed6s

Also, The Chevy Cavalier name is going away with the new Delta platform car that is comming out.  It is currently called "Cobalt" and there will be an SS version with a supercharged 4 cyl pumping out 220HP.[/b]
This is what it is supposedly going to look like (the red car)

[/b][/quote]

Yep. That's the one. I saw it on GMInsidenews yesterday.

Jon

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by RodneyJ

Certainly No Competition for "Any" Mazda Product there.......![/b]
Well, I'm not going to get into the "what is better" argument. Just saying I think the Ion is in the same car class as the Protege, not the 6.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'More Competition For The 6'

Current model is FUGLY... That mockup looks kind of plain though don't you think?

Jon

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'More Competition For The 6'

Do we have any FRONT pics? I might need this (the Cobalt) as a second car for real estate.

Through my searches, that is a no. I guess I'll have to wait for these idiots at GM to release the pics. Its not like I'll buy it right away but soon enough.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts