Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought of hollowing out the honeycomb around the foglight to allow for more direct airflow to the CAI? It would match the lower front facia as well. I was looking at all of that this morning and I thought that it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Has anyone thought of hollowing out the honeycomb around the foglight to allow for more direct airflow to the CAI? It would match the lower front facia as well. I was looking at all of that this morning and I thought that it might be a good idea.
[/b]

yes, one person has done it. he took a dremel and cut out the inserts in the honeycomb.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were there pictures? Do you remember if he said he noticed a tad difference?

HONEYCOMB DREMELER: Come forth and reveal yourself!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
there were a few dedicated threads for this topic...there was also one about removing the entire assembly. search is your friend.

btw, i am fab'ing cai splash guards if youre interested.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
btw i am fab'ing cai splash guards if youre interested.[/b]
I would be interested.

Back on topic. I used a razor blade and cut out the honeycomb but have not installed it as a friend told me that in a previous thread on the topic it resulted in damage to the air filter from road debris. But with splash guards or something that would let the extra air in but deflect water or debris it would seem to be a good idea. Just keep in mind that in enough water even in unmodified form a CAI can suck up water. (There was a thread on Christmas some guy hit a big puddle and hydrolocked his engine.) Also just for your info you can pick up replacement bumper inserts pretty cheap from the dealer. Mine cost about 5 bucks with tax. Good luck to anyone trying this mod. Keep us informed. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there were a few dedicated threads for this topic...there was also one about removing the entire assembly. search is your friend.

btw, i am fab'ing cai splash guards if youre interested.
[/b]
I do not want to remove the entire assembly. I like my fog lights.

Alright, nevermind, does not improve anything.

Digger10t,

Please post pics of the spalshgaurd when you are done with the fab so we can see.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't trying to create a ram air type flow, just create an inlet for more air into that lower portion of the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
this seems ot be a complete waste, even at speed the absurd amount of turbulance from normal air flow much less the horribly unaerodynamic dremel job... let's just say it dosent take a wind tunnel ti figure this on out!

·
Registered
814 Posts
dont have a 'speed, but I did this with my CAI and threw CELs everywhere due to that turbulence. The MAF goes crazy. Waste of time and effort if you ask me.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=57518&hl=

like it was mentioned...the "ram" effect is basically created because of the location of the tube, whether you want it or not. Only difference is...real ram works, this doesnt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.