·
Registered
244 Posts
Replying to Topic 'More Advertising'

Originally posted by applejax

I found the whole lot here

http://www.mazda.ee/launch/?country=ee&language=en

Vote if you'd like![/b]
You just found the hidden Estonian Mazda page. And I wasn't even aware of this ad survey - there's no reference to this on any public pages.

Most of these ads are certainly overkill and will (hopefully) never make it to the public, but the one with suggestion to test drive a competitors car (the fourth one) was actually used in Estonian pre-launch campaign. I agree that humiliating competitors is not a good practice, but when used in very delicate fashion it can achieve the main goal of advertising - drawing attention to the product.

There is a Mazda dealership near the pool hall where I play snooker twice a week. In late May or early July I noticed the aforementioned ad on the dealership window, but didn't pay much attention to it at first. However, as I was already considering the purchase of a new car and had pretty high opinion of the new Primera (hadn't driven one yet ;)); I got thinking about it later on. The first thought was that Mazda dealers had started selling Nissans as well and had come up with some good offer until midsummer (or actually it was St. John's Day in the ad). So I checked it out at the next snooker-day. And there it was - no Primeras, just another one of those boring Mazdas. "What an arrogance!" I thought (remember, I had never heard about the 6 before and was almost ready to go and get me a Nissan); "How dare they use my would-be next car to promote their own vehicle!" But then I saw the close-up of the 6 for the first time... The rest is history.
I strongly believe that if it wasn't for this ad I would be driving a Primera today and not chatting with you guys in this forum (what a sad perspective). I happen to know a few people who are truly miserable for not waiting couple of weeks (or a month or two or ...) before making their final decision, especially after they've seen the car I chose ;).

Anyway - "Thank you Mazda for bringing the arrival of this (almost) perfect vehicle to my attention and stopping me from making a mistake that I would surely regret to this day and for many years to come"

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

A couple of the ads are fun.
A few are bad taste.
Some are simply awful.
And a few of them would be a criminal offense in many countries.

Good, I hope those who cooked these ads up have the taste not to use them.

The one about Nissan is a good one (agree there, Sigvard).

When marketing funds are low, you need to try new ways. But getting desperate is rarely a good idea...and to me this "campaign" is an act of desperation.

Anyway. When I see it again, I can tell you all what this is really all about. It is a so-called guerilla tactics in the field of marketing. The idea is to get people to distribute the address to the "poll". But the idea is not to examine peoples idea about the ads. Only to make them notice the 6.

Anyway, it's bad taste.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Originally posted by Sigvard

You just found the hidden Estonian Mazda page.[/b]
Oh goody! What do I win?[/b][/quote]

I'm certainly not in a position to give away any prizes here, but after reviewing opinions that these ads created (including my own feelings about most of them) and doing some homework I was almost ashamed to discover that they were made in an advertising company less than two miles from my office. My sincerest hope is that most of these ads will never get out in the open and the negative image created by them is not going to rub off on all the owners of Mazda6.

BTW. Applejax, where did you get that link anyway?

·
Registered
58 Posts

Man, and I thought car advertisments were bad here...those are all HORRIBLE and offensive (I even work in the videogame business so it takes a lot to offend me).

I think the best auto ads I've seen lately are the new Saturn tv spots....those are pretty inventive (sorry for all you non North Americaners who may not be familiar with Saturn...course I've never even heard of these wacky brands like Vectra and Holden!).

MM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.