Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions here. I just bought my car about a month ago.

Does installing a CAI change the sound of the car? I want to add extra power but don't want to have a loud car.

What advantage is the engine mount? What does it actually do? A difficult process?

The sharkfin antenna....where do I go and any particular brand?

2005 Performance White Mazda6S GT V6 Autotranny 22k.

Any info would help. I've tried to read as many threads as possible.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
A few questions here. I just bought my car about a month ago.

Does installing a CAI change the sound of the car? I want to add extra power but don't want to have a loud car.

What advantage is the engine mount? What does it actually do? A difficult process?

The sharkfin antenna....where do I go and any particular brand?

2005 Performance White Mazda6S GT V6 Autotranny 22k.

Any info would help. I've tried to read as many threads as possible.
[/b]
Haha, questions have come out huh. A CAI install will change the sound quite a bit. Nothing like an exhaust, but a CAI is SO SO SO COOL to have for sound!! The best can be found here or here, it's called the CP-E MAFci and costs the most as well. You can expect about 18-26hp depending on your car with this mod. The next best would be Injen, but you will get a check engine light. Next best would be AEM with a possible check engine light, and finally the Mazdaspeed CAI will not give you a check engine light, but will also not give you much hp gain. The only one that will NOT affect your warranty is the Mazdaspeeed CAI. I would suggest buying the one you want, and if something happens, replace everything back to stock. It is almost a MUST to have a CAI not only for sound and hp, but most important in this 21st century, GAS MILEAGE!

A engine mount can be found here
It basically will keep your engine from moving so much whenever you hit that gas pedal really hard.... Benefits will include smoother shifts, quicker shifts, and that will lead to a slight increase in acceleration.

A Shark Fin Antenna can be found here

I would jump in on this Group Buy as I have not heard ONE complaint about this antenna since I joined the club in August. Yes you should have better reception and yes it looks kool as hell!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, questions have come out huh. A CAI install will change the sound quite a bit. Nothing like an exhaust, but a CAI is SO SO SO COOL to have for sound!! The best can be found here or here, it's called the CP-E MAFci and costs the most as well. You can expect about 18-26hp depending on your car with this mod. The next best would be Injen, but you will get a check engine light. Next best would be AEM with a possible check engine light, and finally the Mazdaspeed CAI will not give you a check engine light, but will also not give you much hp gain. The only one that will NOT affect your warranty is the Mazdaspeeed CAI. I would suggest buying the one you want, and if something happens, replace everything back to stock. It is almost a MUST to have a CAI not only for sound and hp, but most important in this 21st century, GAS MILEAGE!

A engine mount can be found here
It basically will keep your engine from moving so much whenever you hit that gas pedal really hard.... Benefits will include smoother shifts, quicker shifts, and that will lead to a slight increase in acceleration.

A Shark Fin Antenna can be found here

I would jump in on this Group Buy as I have not heard ONE complaint about this antenna since I joined the club in August. Yes you should have better reception and yes it looks kool as hell!
[/b]
In What way will the sound change if I put in a CAI? Will it be louder, quieter etc?

I have an auto transmission, will an engine mount increase performance or does it only help with a manual ttransmission?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
CAI adds a little (depending on brand) noise during acceleration. For some (like me) it's subtle. For others, it's more of a difference.

·
Registered
470 Posts
In What way will the sound change if I put in a CAI? Will it be louder, quieter etc?

I have an auto transmission, will an engine mount increase performance or does it only help with a manual ttransmission?
[/b]

For daily driving there will be a slightly more of a growl when driving, but nothing that is really all that noticable...But when you punch it and its around 4k on the RPM's is when you will really hear the difference. Its not like a loud, obnoxious noise that people from 5 blocks away will hear, but you will def hear it from inside the car a bit. Well worth the money for the CPE MAFci CAI.

I am sure you read about the A/F Fix that CP-E offers for CAI. If you get the CPE MAFci system or Injen CAI with fix, the engine mount is much more important a mod. With the added power from the fix and CAI it wil cause your engine to "hop" a bit more when shifting harder, so a stronger mount is suggested. Dont worry i am sure a few months of driving without one will do any harm, as long as your not drag racing and speed shifting every time you hit the pedal.

...I have an MTX, can anyone speak about how crucial the engine mount may be for ATX, which i thought you said you had? I couldnt imagine it being near as good since the ATX wont shift as hard I would think? I dunno though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
... The next best would be Injen, but you will get a check engine light. Next best would be AEM with a possible check engine light, and finally the Mazdaspeed CAI will not give you a check engine light, but will also not give you much hp gain. The only one that will NOT affect your warranty is the Mazdaspeeed CAI.
[/b]
List in order of power:

CPE
Injen and Bomz (they are the same)
AEM and Mazdaspeed (they are the same)
K&N

The only reason to get the Mazdaspeed is if you are worried about maintaining your warranty. If not, save your money and pick the AEM since they are identical. With AEM/Mazdaspeed the CEL is extremely rare and almost non existent on 2005 and up models.

Bomz intakes can be found on ebay and are knock-offs of Injen. Bomz is the cheapest. And like Injen will throw a CEL.

K&N makes the least power and usually cost more than AEM. One thing about the K&N CAI is that it can be converted to SRI if for some reason you want one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts