Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the center console ENTIRELY integrated, would it be possible to change the audio deck??? Anyone have any idea?
Like changing it to a MD player or another CD player???

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Modification of audio possible?'

Someone I spoke to claimed that you can buy a new cover for the center section, leaving a standard DIN opening to put a stereo of your choise in there.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

That's interesting Steve. Who did you hear that from? I too have been concerned about getting locked in to the factory head unit. I think it looks nice, but unless it has line level pre-outs it's not adequate for me.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

That's interesting Steve.  Who did you hear that from?  I too have been concerned about getting locked in to the factory head unit.  I think it looks nice, but unless it has line level pre-outs it's not adequate for me.  [/b]
It was a friend of mine. He claimed that it was possible, but that it would make the remote buttons on the steering wheel useless. I haven't been able to determine if he was right, but it is not something I'm very interested in anyway.

Why not ask a dealer?

/Steve

·
Registered
305 Posts

Friend of mine just got a Protege5 with the new modular stereo.

Modular stereo's fine... I'm happy to stick with the factory unit *IF* Mazda would just bring out an MP3 CD player module. I currently have a Kenwood MP8017 in my Miata and I can't imagine going back to those lousy 70-minute CDs. :) My four-CD in-dash CD holder holds 40 hours of music.

So, if there's no MP3 option by the time the hatch comes out (and if I don't buy something else because of the darn hatchback delay); I'd definitely want to strip the stereo and go with a DIN unit so I could add an MP3 CD player.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Been sniffing around the forum for a few months now. As a member on the clubrsx, miata.net, and rx8forums I wasn't sure I wanted to get into another. Just thought maybe I'd finally chime in..... ;)

I was checking the complete specs for the car at mazdausa. Here is what they have listed as entertainment options.

Audio/Entertainment Systems
AM/FM/CD audio system with digital clock (modular audio)
In-dash 6-CD changer (modular audio)
Cassette player - in-dash full-logic auto-reverse, amber (modular audio)
MiniDisc player - in dash, amber (modular audio)
6-speaker sound system - (4) speakers, (2) tweeters
Bose 7-speaker sound system - (4) speakers, (2) tweeters, subwoofer
In-glass radio antenna

The AM FM CD is standard
6 disc, cassette, minidisc are all package options.
6 speaker standard
Bose a part of package.

I would imagine that Sirius satellite radio will be made optional in the next year or so. That's what I really want.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Thanks for the info Jerome! I don't think I'm entirely clear about the concept so I have a couple of questions for you:
1. I'm assuming you can choose which modular components you have installed when you buy the car, is that right? If so, you should have options to change out modules later, yes?
2. Does it have RCA preouts for an external amp? Do you have any more information about the "subwoofer"? Is it a typical Bose "subwoofer" that actually uses a 5" speaker in a bandpass box to go boom a lot?
If you can answer these, thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts

Here are a diagram and some specs of the standard stereo unit. I scanned it from the options catalogue. Sorry for the large picture.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Do you have any more information about the "subwoofer"?[/b]
Don't have the actual thing (yet) but in my car there is an 8" hole in the rear "window-sill" that is supposed to be left there for subwoofer. There's also an empty receptacle nearby but I'm not sure where the other end of the wire goes to.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Never mind I see it now. Thanks for the picture. Cool, so I won't have to have the cassette - I can have CD and minidisc instead. Niiiice. Hopefully the amp and subwoofer will be modular as well. That would be just about perfect.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Our Estate has the woofer placed in under the trunk floor, in the spare wheel.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

As I said in another post, I am sure that somebody will come out with a dash kit sooner or later...

And when they say "modular" I am sure they mean "Proprietary modular".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts