Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the Mazda 6 but I am seriously considering it for my next car. However as a broke college student, I most likely have to get a used one. I am interested in the 5door version but I am willing to look as back as 2003. How do I find out which years even offer the hatch version? Is there a list somewhere where I can find the trim and features depending on model year? I was hoping the wiki here would work but it appears to be down :p

Also, as it would be my first time buying, I was wondering when dealers resell used cars, are you able to customize the features like you would on a new car?

Thanks!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for such a detailed reply. You've covered a lot! That also helps to narrow down what i'm looking for.

I'll be looking for a 2004 5 Door Mazda 6. Still debating on the V4 or V6. Read a lot about it but I guess a test drive would be the best way to decide. As I drive in the city a lot probably may go with the V4 but don't know how that will affect acceleration since the 5th door makes it heavier. As I expect to get one in a year, my price range would be $15K tops hopefully.

You are absolutely right on the 6s going cheap. I am surprised as I checked kelly's bluebook values and they are much lower than say an Audi A4 of an older year with more mileage. Any idea why the 6s are going so cheap?!!

As for getting OEM parts, I'm assuming you would have to know someone to install them for you right? I don't know much about car parts or installing them nor do I know any good mechanics that would install them for cheap.

How good are the 6s on maintenance? I'm deciding b/w a 2nd gen A4 or a mazda 6. Leaning towards the 6 just because usually jap cars are more fuel efficient and also have lower maintenance costs.

Lastly, when you mentioned the options, if I am purchasing a USED car from the dealership, would I still have the ability to customize it in terms of paint color, rims and body kit? (i doubt i would be able to ask them to cut a hole in the roof to add the moonroof :p). I don't know anything about getting a car from a dealership as my first was bought off a friend.

Thank you so much for your effort. I really appreciate the detailed replies!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ strtfighter - You make a very good point on the maintenance costs as my friend has an S4 and he's always spending money fixing it. But you're right on the interiors - audi interiors are beautiful!

@ angel120 - Ah. that makes sense. Guess i'll have to go to the dealership to see what they have.

As mazda owners, can anyone tell me how the 6s are for maintenance? Are they prone to requiring repairs in any areas? Is there any reason I shouldn't get a 6?

Thanks a lot guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.