Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 06 MS6 GT a week and a half ago, it's all broken in and awaiting upgrades.

I know CP-E has some nice parts available and I'm seriously considering the CAI and Exhaust.

I hadn't really considered the CP-E Engine Mount until I read some threads here and now I'm thinking I may do that first!

I have a few questions for those of you that are ahead of me in the mod list.

1. CP-E or AEM intake? Whats the difference?

2. How easy is the CP-E engine mount to install? I read a thread here that implied it was a "snap".
My idea of a snap might be different from a mechanic's idea of a snap. I have a nicely sized garage with some acceptable tools and adequate knowledge on how to use them. Can I install this myself?

3. Whats with the clutch pedal?? It feels like there's a lump in the middle. I've read others complain about this but no one posted anything on how to fix it. Do you all just get used to it?

4. Last question. This is my first Turbo car. Well first I want to upgrade.
Boost Gauge or even a boost controller... I'd like to have one. Does this require drilling holes and installing pressure sensors or does the OBD2 volunteer this info? How is the gauge info gathered?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
364 Posts
So I just got my 06 MS6 GT a week and a half ago, it's all broken in and awaiting upgrades.

I know CP-E has some nice parts available and I'm seriously considering the CAI and Exhaust.

I hadn't really considered the CP-E Engine Mount until I read some threads here and now I'm thinking I may do that first!

I have a few questions for those of you that are ahead of me in the mod list.

1. CP-E or AEM intake? Whats the difference?

2. How easy is the CP-E engine mount to install? I read a thread here that implied it was a "snap".
My idea of a snap might be different from a mechanic's idea of a snap. I have a nicely sized garage with some acceptable tools and adequate knowledge on how to use them. Can I install this myself?

3. Whats with the clutch pedal?? It feels like there's a lump in the middle. I've read others complain about this but no one posted anything on how to fix it. Do you all just get used to it?

4. Last question. This is my first Turbo car. Well first I want to upgrade.
Boost Gauge or even a boost controller... I'd like to have one. Does this require drilling holes and installing pressure sensors or does the OBD2 volunteer this info? How is the gauge info gathered?

Thanks everyone!
[/b]

Welcome and congrats...we're in the same area..user ryceboi and I do a lot of work on our cars..you're welcome to stop by and learn when we have an install day.

1. CP-E or AEM intake? Not too much. Do a search, tons of threads on this. Price seems to be the major differentiator with intakes

2. How easy is the CP-E engine mount to install? It is a snap. I installed ryceboi's in 10 minutes...very easy w/ ramps and a 17mm and 19mm wrench and a floor jack.

3. Whats with the clutch pedal?? It sucks, but there is a sticky that provides instructions to adjust it. Again, search.

4. Boost Gauge or even a boost controller. Boost gauge first...wait for a complete ecu tuning solution instead of going w/ a boost controller. Many companies are within 3 months of offering a solution.

·
Registered
181 Posts
1. CP-E or AEM intake? Whats the difference?[/b]
one thing to note. The CP-E intake may give better power...but the AEM intake is (or soon will be) CARB compliant. Something to think about in California.

·
Registered
651 Posts
As for the boost gauge...Defi makes a unit that closely matches the Mazda interior. Rumor has it they will be coming out the the 'Blue Racer' in amber after SEMA...basically it will eliminate the need for the controller unit the BF series require. If this is true...it would probably be worth the wait.

Other than that...welcome and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome and congrats...we're in the same area..user ryceboi and I do a lot of work on our cars..you're welcome to stop by and learn when we have an install day.

1. CP-E or AEM intake? Not too much. Do a search, tons of threads on this. Price seems to be the major differentiator with intakes
2. How easy is the CP-E engine mount to install? It is a snap. I installed ryceboi's in 10 minutes...very easy w/ ramps and a 17mm and 19mm wrench and a floor jack.
3. Whats with the clutch pedal?? It sucks, but there is a sticky that provides instructions to adjust it. Again, search.

4. Boost Gauge or even a boost controller. Boost gauge first...wait for a complete ecu tuning solution instead of going w/ a boost controller. Many companies are within 3 months of offering a solution.
[/b]
Great thanks for the info!

Regarding #4, tuning would be nice, but I'd still like some kind of physical read-out of the boost pressure just to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
one thing to note. The CP-E intake may give better power...but the AEM intake is (or soon will be) CARB compliant. Something to think about in California.
[/b]
I think the Mazdaspeed CAI is the way to go for several reasons; Mazda warranty is not affected if something happens, it's already CARB compliant (I can post a closeup of the CARB logo on mine if you want) and - if I remember the thread corrrectly - it's actually manufactured by CPE anyway, just with the Mazdaspeed logo on it.

So synopsis; warrantied by Mazda, Carb compliant and same design(Power) as CPE's.

My two cents

Good luck!

PS You can also get the MS CAI for $286 from Jim Click Mazda in AZ with free shipping; or do what I did, get you local dealer to price match :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the Mazdaspeed CAI is the way to go for several reasons; Mazda warranty is not affected if something happens, it's already CARB compliant (I can post a closeup of the CARB logo on mine if you want) and - if I remember the thread corrrectly - it's actually manufactured by CPE anyway, just with the Mazdaspeed logo on it.

So synopsis; warrantied by Mazda, Carb compliant and same design(Power) as CPE's.

My two cents

Good luck!

PS You can also get the MS CAI for $286 from Jim Click Mazda in AZ with free shipping; or do what I did, get you local dealer to price match :)
[/b]

Actually, the Mazdaspeed CAI is made by AEM - not CP-E.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ACK! I just looked at AEM's website and their Dyno results show 201.4WHP w/o intake and 212.7WHP w/intake.

Please tell me those numbers are wrong!
That implies a ~27% power loss through the drivetrain!

CP-E's dyno has similar gains, but their w/ and w/o numbers are 20WHP higher.

I hate to think only 200hp is making its way to the wheels. Somebody put my mind at ease please?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
ACK! I just looked at AEM's website and their Dyno results show 201.4WHP w/o intake and 212.7WHP w/intake.

Please tell me those numbers are wrong!
That implies a ~27% power loss through the drivetrain!

CP-E's dyno has similar gains, but their w/ and w/o numbers are 20WHP higher.

I hate to think only 200hp is making its way to the wheels. Somebody put my mind at ease please?
[/b]
That has to be wrong. Even the CPE site has before and after figures for their CAI; before (stock) 221whp, after 232whp

Here's the link

http://www.cp-e.com/2026.html

·
Registered
329 Posts

My two cents

Good luck!

[/b]

The Mazdaspeed intake is made by AEM. The warranty level is Green so it only covers the part itself. If it causes any problems with the engine it is your dime to fix it.

1)The differences between intakes are minute enough to be within dyno error. Most people would choose based on price. Fujita is the cheapest, AEM is next and should be CARB compliant by now, Mazdaspeed next which is currently CARB compliant, then CP-E which is most expensive but I think it shows in the quality.

2)CPE Engine mount is a 10-20 minute install with a friend and a floor jack.

3)There is a rather large thread about adjusting the clutch pedal for feel.

4)A boost guage is an easy install. Basically all you have to do is tap a pressure line and wire it for power. Personally I will hold off on a boost controller until I see a map of our stock turbo. I still think that it is running on the ragged edge of efficiency as it is and would prefer not to overspin it.

All of these topics have been discussed at length. Heck I think ryceboi even posted flow numbers for the different intakes at some point. I would suggest using the search function. It can be your friend if you let it :D

As for the dyno graphs, do not forget that the same car on the same day can show a very large variance across different types of dynos depending on the operator/correction factor.

Edit: spelling

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts