Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gen2 Mazda6 Interior LED Swap

Hey Everyone, I know there is information dispersed around the forum about the Interior LED light swap but figured I would add to it.

I purchased all my LED's off eBay to save on money but there are other reputable and good websites out there such as V-Led if you prefer to purchase from them.

Front Dome Light -- 3175
Rear Dome Light -- 3175
Lower Door Light -- 194

License Plate Light -- 194
Glove Box Light -- 194
Reverse Light -- 921
Trunk Light - 74V Adapter (Price not included)

Total Price to do my lights:
$22.86

--Notes--

These are just the bulbs that I chose to use. You can always go brighter or dimmer based on your needs and preference. I personally don't use a lot of light so these work for me.

If the auction does not have an option to buy, copy and paste the name of the auction into the search and it should come up with an active auction or click on the seller's more items.

*If the LED light in the socket does not turn on, flip the light around.

--In case you are not sure how to get the light panels off. You will need a Flat head screw driver. Each light panel for the doors and dome have a little notch on the front side that you stick the flat head screw driver in and then pry gently or pop the panel off and you will be able to take the bulbs out. PM or Post in this thread with any questions.

Front Dome Light -- 3175
Link

I originally got 12LED lights but they were too dim so I moved up to 16 LED. I would not mind if they were a little bit brighter but when both of them are on, they are decently bright and provide enough light without being over powering.

If I do need extra light, I can always turn on the back 24 LED map light and that is enough for me.

NOTE**
For the 16LED one's to fit, I had to remove this silver clip with a philips where it is circled in Yellow. I am not sure what this silver clip is for. Reflecting the light back down possibly.

Rear Dome Light -- 3175
Link

At first, I ended up getting a 12LED Dome light and it was not very bright at all so I swapped to this 24 LED dome bulb, not only does it fit perfectly but the LED's are larger and brighter.

This Dome bulb definitely lights up the entire back seat and does a good job of providing light to the front as well. I like it but you can always go brighter based on your needs.
The picture does not do it justice. It does light up the back seat.

Lower Door Light -- 194

Link

These will not flood the ground but I find them to be enough light for me. You can always go brighter and will output more light to the ground.

License Plate Light -- 194
Link

I find these to be the perfect amount of light to illuminate the license plate but you can always go brighter.

Glove Box Light -- 194
Link

It is the same 5 LED lights that I have used for the door so they are decently bright.

Reverse Light -- 921

Link

I personally have not been able to see for myself how bright these are but when I put the car in reverse, they seem to be pretty bright and fit great.

-Picture Coming-

Trunk Light
Link - 74V Socket Adapter
Link - 300 LED Strip

I went ahead and purchased the 74V Socket adapter from V-Led's and purchased a 300 LED light strip from Amazon for pretty cheap. I connected the 300 LED strip to the adapter with butt crimps as you can see in the picture. You will need butt crimps and a crimping tool for the job. It looks awesome though. The LED's have a sticky backing so I just mounted them to the roof of the inside trunk. Personally...the 300 LED's might have been a little excessive but lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Novak that looks great! I too am doing a full LED swap....Don't know if you did this too or planning to do this.. but I swapped out my Trunk bulb (#74) with a 24" LED strip... barely saw anything with the stock bulb. I bought these two items because I didnt want to splice and wire from the car:
DIY LED STRIP LIGHT 74 SOCKET ADAPTER

and

6K White W/Purple Strip Light 24 LED 24 inch

The adapter was just what I was looking for because it was the exact same fit that the #74 bulb. I soldered the adapter to the LED strip. Then plugged in the adapter in right into the socket. Then peeled the the paper from the 3M adhesive (on the back of the LED strip). Attached it to the ceiling of the trunk. Tucked in the wired into one of the holes/vents in the trunk ceiling. I will take a another photo of where I positioned the strip.

Trunks a mess and the camera quality sucks.. but its is so much brighter!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DMazda! I appreciate you posting that. I actually was going to do this but forget / never got around to it but now that you've reminded me. I think I will go ahead and purchase the parts and get it done because I do enjoy having light in my trunk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks DMazda! I appreciate you posting that. I actually was going to do this but forget / never got around to it but now that you've reminded me. I think I will go ahead and purchase the parts and get it done because I do enjoy having light in my trunk
no problem I'm sure there are Longer LED strips on Ebay much cheaper.. but chose to go with vleds because the adapter was coming from there and I wanted to get everything at the same time

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey Novak the rear dome led that you put in....do they fit for the front ?
and when u put in it in is it just leaning against the dome cover (on the inside) or did u secure it somehow?

I am thinking of these:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
think they'd fit?
Thanks for the Inquiry DMazda. On the back of the 24LED one I got, it is lined with a piece of sticky tape that you peel off but I just let mine sit in the base of the light panel. It is a tight fit though. You Cannot go any further width wise than the 24LED. But you could go a little bit more lengthwise.

I am not sure but want to say no that the 48LED wouldn't fit unless someone else has done it already. I hadn't thought about it but I guess the 24LED could possibly fit in the front domes since it comes with an adapter that you connect.

As you saw, the 16's I put in, I already had to take out the metal bracket. I rarely ever use my front domes and they are turned off when the door opens so that's why I haven't put too much effort into finding the right fit / brightness for them.

I am away this week but next week if you wanted, I could try and put my 24LED in the front and see if it fits. I don't see why not though if you shove it up in there.

Personally though too, as I said, the pictures don't do justice of the 24LED and I think you would blind yourself if you went any brighter. If you put 3 24LED's in your car I would be able to see you from another State.

Hope that helps, sorry for the lengthy response!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys, Just wanted to let you all know that I updated the pictures list with the Trunk light adapter and the LED's that I mounted. I personally think it's a little excessive but it looks like Heaven is in my trunk so hope you enjoy!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahaha thanks for being obserative Tommy. I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that. That is the Novak custom fisherman's package.

If enough people are interested I can post up pics in a different thread. I fish a lot so I cut out the hole in the arm rest so I can put fishing poles, 2 x 4's whatever that might be long through the trunk and not lose a seat if I need to carry 4 people. It turned out great. You can barely tell that it didn't just come that way.

·
Registered
924 Posts
hahaha thanks for being obserative Tommy. I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that. That is the Novak custom fisherman's package.

If enough people are interested I can post up pics in a different thread. I fish a lot so I cut out the hole in the arm rest so I can put fishing poles, 2 x 4's whatever that might be long through the trunk and not lose a seat if I need to carry 4 people. It turned out great. You can barely tell that it didn't just come that way.

That may also be an ideal place to pump a subwoofer's bass into the cars cabin!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Would a 36 led rear dome light fit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just wanted to drop in and say I did this same swap with all of my interior lights (with a slight increase in LED's for the dome) and I get nothing but compliments on how bright and clean it looks! Great write up Novak!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts