Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get a 2nd key cut and programmed for my car and have been unsuccessful. 1st they said the stereo was the problem- so removed it and everything was factory stock. Still can't get a key programmed so I'd like to go around the mobilizer. Anyone done this? BTW- tried 3 dealerships with no luck. Oh and the stereo wasn't a hackjob that disturbed the car wiring.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
679 Posts
You're funny. Mobilizer.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
So you bought the car new or used?

If new, you should have 3 keys(2 maste+1 valet). If used, it depends on what the last guy gave you.

If you have 2 working keys, it's simple to get a 3rd key programmed to the car. (A dealer tech can do it in 5 minutes). This is simple because it's assumed that since you have 2 known keys you're the owner of the car.

If you only have 1 working key, then you need a key cut by the dealer (which they can do by the vin# of the car) and then they need to have the car learn the keys. Since you only have 1 known key, there is much more effort to program new keys to the car because of theft prevention measures, and the dealer doing the programming is supposed to verify ownership of the vehicle before programming new keys to the ignition.

Hope that helps
cBob

Edit: Atlest it was from my understanding. Mazda recenetly changed to the "pocket knife" style key, and it could be they only give out 2 keys due to cost of manufacturing or whatnot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I assume you're saying that the dealer can't get a second key to program. There is a reason this could happen. If the car was used there may have already been other keys programmed ( sometimed even in new cars this happens ). There is a maximum number of keys that the computer will recognise, it may be "full". They will have to erase all the keys and start over. If that won't work you could have a local shop install a remote start "bypass" with your good key inside, and wire it to come all the time. You could then use any cut key to start the car. They could also ( possibly ) rip the chip out of the key and place it on top of the key cylinder, that will make any key work also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses:

Panasonic Guy- glad I could bring out your "picture perfect smile"!!
Cbob- thanks for the response. We are beyond that tho and I think the 3rd reply may be on target
Hardrocky- sent you a PM. Never thought of the module being full but it does make sense. What caused you to think of that? I will check that before "dechipping the car" - which is where I thought I was at.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why would you want to "mobilize" your vehicle? Just think about it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Are you saying he should have said immobilizer?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
So you bought the car new or used?

If new, you should have 3 keys(2 maste+1 valet). If used, it depends on what the last guy gave you.

If you have 2 working keys, it's simple to get a 3rd key programmed to the car. (A dealer tech can do it in 5 minutes). This is simple because it's assumed that since you have 2 known keys you're the owner of the car.

If you only have 1 working key, then you need a key cut by the dealer (which they can do by the vin# of the car) and then they need to have the car learn the keys. Since you only have 1 known key, there is much more effort to program new keys to the car because of theft prevention measures, and the dealer doing the programming is supposed to verify ownership of the vehicle before programming new keys to the ignition.

Hope that helps
cBob

Edit: Atlest it was from my understanding. Mazda recenetly changed to the "pocket knife" style key, and it could be they only give out 2 keys due to cost of manufacturing or whatnot. [/b]
correct. my '06 came with two of the "pocket knife" type keys only. It is my understanding that I can get another key programmed if I so desire but that 3 is the limit.

·
Registered
679 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts