Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I dont know much about engine oils but when I went to a performance shop here to pick up my K&N oil filter, he asked me what oil i used and I said Mobil1 0W-20, he was trying to sell me some RP 5W-20 and told me that the 0W is too thin to protect the engine and just gets "tossed" around in the engine ... doesnt bond with the metal etc and is used in racing engines ... Is this true ??? Are we just damaging our engines with the 0W Mobil1 :sarc: ....

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's thin but it will protect the engine pretty good, especially Mobil1. You will get good gas mileage with 0W-20. Pennzoil makes a 0W-20 for hybrid vehicles, damn that thing gives good gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I hope the oil isnt bonding with the metal...
[/b]

oh lordy no, that would be a disaster.

where DO people get these ideas anyway..???

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I emailed Mazda about using Mobil 5W-20 blend, they advised Mazda did not recommend blend motor oils.
[/b]
LOL? You mean mazda recommend to not use a synthetic blend? The oil that is supposed to come in the car from the factory is a synth blend...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got freaked out when he gave told me all this engine tech stuff .. i am not an engine guy at all and have no clue what he was talking about ... lol ...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok did some reading about engine oils and 0W-20 > 5W-20 ... 0W-20 has a wider range in which it can operate .... but isnt 20 too thin for hotter climates in the US ??

·
Registered
680 Posts
When oil is cold, such as during winter time, a 0w-20 oil is supposed to flow with less resistance than a 5w-20 oil will. Both oils are 20-weight (i.e. the same thickness), but the 0w just flows better when it's cold. In some ways, that could be considered better than a 5w-XX oil.

Go tell the guy from the performance shop to put the bong down. It sounds like he tried to tell you that a 0w-20 oil doesn't cling to the metal as well, but that's a bunch of garbage. Mobil 1 0w-20 is a fine motor oil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The engineers that design and build these engines go to great lengths to make sure everything is as optimized as possible. They specify 5W20 for a reason. If you stray from that, that's your call, but don't be surprised when Mazda doesn't warranty your engine cause they found this out. Good luck.

This reminds me of another great example of people wasting their money. I like to motocross for fun, and every year the manufacturers will update their models. Well, everytime the manufacturers do a change to the exhaust (this mostly has to do with 2-strokes), there are aftermarket companies that literally have a "better" exhaust pipe available within a month. Well it's a total load of crap. All they do is change the spacing on the buldge a little bit, make it nice and shiney, and charge you $200. Some poor sap buys it and believes he will get more power from this magic $200 exhaust pipe. So of course his perception is altered and he actually "feels" the extra power cause he wants to believe his $200 wasn't a waste.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You won't void your warranty by using 0w-20. On top of that, people here have had their used Mobil 1 0w-20 analyzed with excellent results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts