Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pacific-blue 2.3l 4cyl luxury hatch with activematic.

This car is a winner! Completely drool-worthy.

I've done approx 350km's in it, and used just over 1/2 a tank of fuel. I drive mainly in the city, and the trip computer is saying my usage is 12.4 per 100km (the factory said 10.0 was the correct average) but the fact that I've gone as far as my old car went, and still should have another 200ish km's left, is totally wicked :)

It's also probable with the hot days and air conditioner usage that this is the reason for the higher average :)

The BOSE stereo is great, far better sound-quality than my other friends... and some of these guys have AU$5000 custom jobs. I typically have the volume around 14-17 out of 30 and it's comfortably loud enough to share with others through the sun-roof. It probably wouldn't out-power my previously mentioned friends dual-12" subs at shaking nearby cafeteria to the ground, but I'm delighted with it in any case :)

So how does it drive? It's a complete pleasure. Extremely quiet whilst cruising, yet sporty when dragging it above 3000rpm. The acceleration feels great and I've still to put my boot to the floor to check the full potential. I've had the car up to 5krpm, and it's good for 6.5k before redline, so it should be fun to break out the activematic and see what sorta 0-100km/h I can pull.

The only complaint (and it's small) that I've got with the auto-transmission, is when slowing down the last like 2km/h at the lights, there's a slight bump as the auto-transmission goes into first. [has anyone else noticed this? or is it just something I need to iron out with my dealer?]

The electricy gadgets are nice... motorized driver's seat, power windows, power sunroof... I'm actually impressed with how far down the rear windows go... almost completely (there's still a little bit sticking out toward the front of the window, but you can comfortably rest your elbow on the door frame).

Also the space in the back is great -- I sat behind the driver's seat just to check it, and there's tons of room. I'll ask my other passengers in the months to come, but I reckon it'd be comfortable even on long (8 hour+) trips.

The climate control kicks ass too... we've been having 30-36 degree celcius days lately, and even after sitting out in the sun all day whilst at work, the car cools down in almost no time, and stays a cool 21.5 celcius all the way home :)

The boot-space is great too, the groceries almost swimming on the way home nowdays. Folding down the rear seats would definately cover all my moving needs short of the fridge and washing machine :)

All and all on a scale of 1 to 5... I'd easily give the '6, a 6. :)
-- Rainchild

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Mmmmmm 6

Does anyone else have the same problem I had on a recent test drive?

Driving around with the sales guy, i started to smell something burning, but I didnt know waht it was. I'm not sure if its some chemical on the car's engine, or if it was something form the seats because the heated seats were on. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

The burning smell is normal for the first 600 miles or so for any car if it is driven hard within that time. The first type of oil that is typically used in a brand new engine is breakin oil, it has a lower heat tolerance and is designed to be gentler on the engine within the breakin period. It's definitely nothing to worry about, mine is at 480 miles and still has a bit of a smell if I push it.

Mazda 6
Sterling Silver
S Trim
v6

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, it has nothing to do with the car being new. It's in fact a result of the catalytic converter...

The only thing I quite don't understand is how the smell gets into the car...it takes some research. Nothing to worry about, though...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mmmmmm 6'

Referring to Rain Child's report....

I have a Blue Pacific Classic sedan (www.geocities.com/bgmaz6)

I too have noticed a bump sensation when the car slows down to first gear, but I just put it down to a normal transmission thing.

I can tolerate these niggly things because everything pales into insignificance when someone stares at the car (this happens at least once a day, hehe)

I am now at 10,600 klm in 147 days.

MM6:D

·
Registered
119 Posts

Great report rainchild,

like I said in an earlier post we mazda6 owners in australia need to show up the HSV and FPV owners because our cars mighn't have V8's but we got class not arse !

keep us posted on the next thousand KMs

·
Registered
71 Posts

I've got my car on 04Jul02. 7 months ago. Now odo shows
>18'000. It makes 2600km per month. Don't think it's too much. Another 2-3 weeks and I'll take my beauty to first regular inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I probably get to where u guys are in a few months.
For the record .... Less than an hour old car... 28 km.

So far.... damn sweet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts