Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud new owner of a white MS6 here in Las Vegas. Generally the only gas you can find in town is 91 or lower. Today I found a Rebel gas station close to home that sells Unleaded 100 octane for $4.99 a gallon. I have noted the other posts which talk about expensive octane boosters for $17.00 a bottle. I have had the flash and still notice ocassional power loss (alot less than before the re-flash), but I want to know what the effect of filling the car with 50% 91 octane and 50% 100 cotane would be? Is it a simple average of the two octanes (50%@ 91 plus 50% 100 / 2) = 95.5 octane. Please help as I think this may be a cheaper way for me to make 93+ octane for my MS6 instead of using 91 octane piss gas.

Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you go to rocket brand fuels.com they have a octane mixing chart. Hope that helps. Plus you can find where it is sold in your state

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
All I run in my car is 100+ unleaded, but I don't do much driving in it....

Octane boosters are a joke, they raise tenths of an octane, not an actual octane point...

Let your car run low on gas, and go and put in about half a tank of 100 (Which at $4.99 is a very good deal)... and run the car... you will notice an immediate difference.... I notice mainly in throttle response and spool up....

Anyways, definately try it out...

·
Registered
243 Posts
The short answer is yes, it is just a weighted average of the volumes and octane ratings of the two fuels. 1/2 and 1/2 will yield 95.5 Octane. 93 Octane can be had by adding about 2 gallons of 100 Octane to 8 gallons of 91. When you buy 89 at the pump, the pump mixes 91 and 87 in equal amounts for you, the stations don't atually stock an 89 Octane fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. I did try and there is a noticeable differnence in pick up. I have found a cheap way to make 93+ octane gas. Thanks for your help guys.

I love this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts