Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone notice the milage display differently everytime you fill up full tank of petrol. Since I am driving the MPS therefore it display in remaining km. Sometime it displays 51x kms, sometime even 54x kms.. Just wonder why would same tank of petrol has such different reading? Is that becoz the sensor detect some bad/good fuel(I mean different Octane no.) therefore calculate the remaining kms differently?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Has anyone notice the milage display differently everytime you fill up full tank of petrol. Since I am driving the MPS therefore it display in remaining km. Sometime it displays 51x kms, sometime even 54x kms.. Just wonder why would same tank of petrol has such different reading? Is that becoz the sensor detect some bad/good fuel(I mean different Octane no.) therefore calculate the remaining kms differently?
[/b]
how do you get the display to show remaining distance? I didn't know it could do that

·
Registered
157 Posts
20$ says it's because of liability.

"I was in the desert, the display said I had 75km left but ran empty in 20km! I had to walk for days, eat my left foot, and was attacked by dogs! I want money!"

People sue for spilling hot coffee in the US. :p

·
Registered
233 Posts

"I was in the desert, the display said I had 75km left but ran empty in 20km! I had to walk for days, eat my left foot, and was attacked by dogs! I want money!"

[/b]
i wish that wasn't true

·
Registered
490 Posts

[/b]
:laugh:

I really don't think so. Every Lincoln and Jag we ever had, has it. I think it was just not thought of for us with the # of filling/gas/petrol stations.
Also, we got 650KM/405miles on our trip from Fort Worth to San Antonio just last weekend.
And I normally get 478km/297miles per tank on town driving. When I mix it and hit the freeway to bypass the bordem, ocassionally, I have pulled off 502km/312miles. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's the same setup as UK cars, it's because the display estimates your range left by looking at your economy over the last 20 miles or so, so how you've been driving on the way to the pumps can make a fairly big difference to its estimates.

·
Registered
863 Posts
we dont have it because for whatever reason mazda didnt engineer our unit of measure in that part of the display.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'd learn the conversion factor real quick to have it on my car :)

Jason

·
Registered
50 Posts
People sue for spilling hot coffee in the US.

i wish that wasn't true
[/b]
Don't worry, it's not, unless a reasonable person would expect to get 3rd degree burns and go through multiple skin graftings to the genital & buttocks regions (among others) when ordering blazingly-hot coffee from a vendor that was repeatedly told about its 180-190F brew. Kinda like if your car exploded if you were rear-ended by someone cruising above a cool 25 mph when other cars, ya know, didn't do that.

http://www.vanfirm.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm (Wall Street Journal)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's the same setup as UK cars, it's because the display estimates your range left by looking at your economy over the last 20 miles or so, so how you've been driving on the way to the pumps can make a fairly big difference to its estimates.
[/b]
hmm... you could be rite. but why 20 miles? I thought the computer should use the average fuel comsumption to calculate the remaining milages.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
BCMPS, the averag fuel consumption reading on the trip computer can be off by .5L/100K if you work out the average by calculation each time you fill up as I do on mine. So it isn't a concrete figure to judge by, just a rough estimate afterall.

·
Registered
219 Posts
BCMPS, the averag fuel consumption reading on the trip computer can be off by .5L/100K if you work out the average by calculation each time you fill up as I do on mine. So it isn't a concrete figure to judge by, just a rough estimate afterall.
[/b]
In my experiance it's pretty accurate. I've driven 54116 km in my Mazda6 2.3. The avarage in comsumption calculated by the trip computer is: 0,93826087 l/km and calculated by trip computer and gasoline receipt is 0,934099109. As you can se, the difference is in the third decimal, to me this is very accurate.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For whatever reason the Mazda engineers / marketing people decided to turn off the trip computer functions, there is an add on unit by www.scangauge.com that looks like it would fit the bill and then some.

This small display unit has function for trip / fuel computing, engine parameter monitoring, check engine code reading / resetting. Heck, if I didn't purchase a fault code reader already, this would have been the ticket! It is small enough to velcro under the dash for testing use.

Has anyone had any previous experience with them? I remember seeing a previous post with someone having a first generation unit that was about the size of a deck of cards! I think it was under the post of someone trying to change the color of the electrolumincent gauges. :yesnod:

·
Registered
940 Posts
For whatever reason the Mazda engineers / marketing people decided to turn off the trip computer functions, there is an add on unit by www.scangauge.com that looks like it would fit the bill and then some.

This small display unit has function for trip / fuel computing, engine parameter monitoring, check engine code reading / resetting. Heck, if I didn't purchase a fault code reader already, this would have been the ticket! It is small enough to velcro under the dash for testing use.

Has anyone had any previous experience with them? I remember seeing a previous post with someone having a first generation unit that was about the size of a deck of cards! I think it was under the post of someone trying to change the color of the electrolumincent gauges. :yesnod:
[/b]
I am considering getting one of these....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

[/b]

I am definitely interested in one of these as well. More info would be much appreciated. Where do you tap into the ecu?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
25 Participants
XPLORx4
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing