Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikolas, I was wondering what you thought of Simple_Man's modification to his mid pipe.
Link:http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=1962
Since I know you've put in the wrench time on the car, how do you think this would help a V6? (Simple_mans's was an I-4)...he seems to think he feels some extra power by going to the 2.5 diameter, what is the stock size of the V6 mid pipe?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mid Pipe modification'

From the measurements we took, the V6 ehxhaust (after the main cat) is slightly larger than 2" in diameter....

The 2.3L engine could use a 2.25" mandrel exhaust after the cat (2.5" exhaust only if you have the mods to justify the larger piping).. The V6 should go with nothing smaller than 2.5" diameter mandrel bent tubing. If you run any type of boost on either of these engines, a 3" exhaust is what I would run.

Im not sure if SimpleMan would see any gains from just replacing the pipe that goes between the cat and the Y-Split (mufflers). for better gains, you would want to replace the mufflers with some straight through type mufflers to improve exhaust flow at higher RPMs. The only way he will know for sure if he has gained power, would have been for him to take his car to a dyno before and after his exhaust work.

I have been fooled by the "butt dyno" on more than one occasion, only to take my car to the track or the dyno, and have my car make less power or run slower times.

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mid Pipe modification'

so if i plan on runnin turbo, u suggest a Dual 3" piping, instead of Dual 2.5" piping?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts