Mazda 6 Forums banner
441 - 460 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Hey, Michiganites -- I recently bought a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT in Black Cherry Mica from a dealership here in CO. It had 22K miles on it after a 2-year lease. As I rummaged through the stuff left in the glovebox, I found that the car originated at Ralph Thayer Automotive in Livonia, MI.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Any of you the previous lessee? Or do you know him/her?

2. I am assuming the previous lessee took it to Thayer for service, so how are they? Should I have it checked to make sure they did all the TSBs, or are they pretty good about that?

3. Anyone know if the previous owner had any problems with it?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
811 Posts
QUOTE (Stealth01 @ May 12 2008, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1346271
Hey, Michiganites -- I recently bought a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT in Black Cherry Mica from a dealership here in CO. It had 22K miles on it after a 2-year lease. As I rummaged through the stuff left in the glovebox, I found that the car originated at Ralph Thayer Automotive in Livonia, MI.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Any of you the previous lessee? Or do you know him/her?

2. I am assuming the previous lessee took it to Thayer for service, so how are they? Should I have it checked to make sure they did all the TSBs, or are they pretty good about that?

3. Anyone know if the previous owner had any problems with it?

Thanks ahead of time![/b]
I've been to Ralph Thayer Monroe, they suck ASS! Their rude and their service sucks. This is known by everyone around here, so please avoid this dealer. My friend drove to Ralph Thayer Livonia to buy her Mazda 3, and she said they were friendly, not really sure about their service crew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi, I dunno how many people would care as if you are here, you already have one, but I see quite a few MS6's at my local dealer auction. If you are interested, I can check what they are going for. I picked up one last week to use as a taxi for looking at all the other cars in in the lot, lol.

I have no overhead - so if you are looking for a used MS6 (or any other car) right from Mazda Financial, let me know!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought a White Pearl 2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT in Houston, and drove it back to Michigan. It's been excellent so far, no rattles or anything, and while it isn't much of a mod, I already did the fold-down rear seat mod, as I'm an avid skier and want to be able to carry my skis easily. Next up...probably the rear diff mounts, a CAI (or short-ram) and a big brake kit.

How have the rest of you Michiganders found the MS6 to be during the winter? How have you managed (if you have) to avoid rust problems starting?

Hope to see some of you all out on the backroads!
~Vansquish

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
QUOTE (Vansquish @ Sep 22 2009, 12:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1602779
Hi all,

I just bought a White Pearl 2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT in Houston, and drove it back to Michigan. It's been excellent so far, no rattles or anything, and while it isn't much of a mod, I already did the fold-down rear seat mod, as I'm an avid skier and want to be able to carry my skis easily. Next up...probably the rear diff mounts, a CAI (or short-ram) and a big brake kit.

How have the rest of you Michiganders found the MS6 to be during the winter? How have you managed (if you have) to avoid rust problems starting?

~Vansquish[/b]
Moved to CA recently, but my experience was...

Get snow tires. After that... winter is your bitch. The car rocks in the snow.

Rust... yeah... wash and wax it very regularly. I tried, but it got a little less frequent later on. Ended up with rust from the license plate screws (rusting into the paint). Also had exhaust gasket and bolt issues around the 2nd cat....gasket died 2x and the bolts rusted solid.

·
Registered
378 Posts
QUOTE (Vansquish @ Sep 22 2009, 12:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1602779
Hi all,

~Vansquish[/b]
Welcome to the club! You're going to love this car. As Japan8 suggested you are going to want some Winter tires. I happen to have a set of some nice Hankooks (2 are brand new thanks to a pot hole, other two i good condition) on stock Mazda6 (not mazdaspeed) 17" wheels so you can easily switch them out from season to season. I haven't gotten them ready to put up for sale but your post made me think about it. Let me know if you're have any interest at all and we'll begin a discussion.

Be careful with that car, it's easy to forget you are going triple digits! :drive:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got my 07 ms6 from Suburban mazda of troy and I dont really care for their service. Is there any other dealer or service place you would take your care to for lets say a clutch job?

I also have been seeing a Ti silver ms6 with black wheels around 6 and 7 mile rd in livonia, Are you here?

As for the new MI ms6, snow tires are a must. The paint is not all that great (strong) on the ms6. I am getting a little of rust like others have mention, but what is worse is the stone chips from all the highway construction. I know I will need to repaint the front in a year ir two...unless I can get a CF hood for cheaper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (HefMS6 @ Sep 22 2009, 09:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1602817
I got my 07 ms6 from Suburban mazda of troy and I dont really care for their service. Is there any other dealer or service place you would take your care to for lets say a clutch job?

I also have been seeing a Ti silver ms6 with black wheels around 6 and 7 mile rd in livonia, Are you here?

As for the new MI ms6, snow tires are a must. The paint is not all that great (strong) on the ms6. I am getting a little of rust like others have mention, but what is worse is the stone chips from all the highway construction. I know I will need to repaint the front in a year ir two...unless I can get a CF hood for cheaper.[/b]

I'm already on the prowl for snow tires, as I'm going to be making regular trips to Madison, WI to visit my girlfriend over the course of the winter, so I figure I might need them. i have to get new tires anyway for at least the rear wheels, the previous owner apparently did some auto crossing or something and the tires on the rears (I assume that they rotated them to the rear) are pretty well worn down. I think I'll probably be getting a set of 18" snow tires to match the OEM wheels, or possibly a second set of 18" OEM-size wheels to put the tires on if I decide to go all-in.

As far as the service issue, my mom bought a Mazda 3S hatch from Suburban Mazda of Troy and wasn't impressed with them either. However, so far, I've been taking my car to Sesi Lincoln Mercury Mazda in Ypsilanti. They seem to be fairly straightforward and service-oriented. I haven't had them do any major work or anything, so I don't know how they would be for that, but they might be worth a look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (Vansquish @ Sep 27 2009, 02:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1604200
I'm already on the prowl for snow tires, as I'm going to be making regular trips to Madison, WI to visit my girlfriend over the course of the winter, so I figure I might need them. i have to get new tires anyway for at least the rear wheels, the previous owner apparently did some auto crossing or something and the tires on the rears (I assume that they rotated them to the rear) are pretty well worn down. I think I'll probably be getting a set of 18" snow tires to match the OEM wheels, or possibly a second set of 18" OEM-size wheels to put the tires on if I decide to go all-in.[/b]
With the MS6 lots of people have had issues when replacing only half of their tire...(some searching will bring up rear active axle overheating, or the 4x4 light coming on) Its recommended with all "all wheel drive cars" to replace all 4 tires rather then just and end.

As for your selection of snow tires, there are plenty of post about that. If you are near the Farmington Hills area, I would recommend "Tire One" (located at 32418 W 8 Mile Rd Farmington Hills, MI 48336-5103) the have a really nice touch-less tire changer that you can request.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ended up just getting two Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS tires to replace the two bald ones I have, as the other two still had 8/32nds of tread left. I'm going to see how it goes over the first snowfall and then if I find I'm having trouble in the snow, winter tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (TraderStav @ Sep 22 2009, 06:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1602803
Welcome to the club! You're going to love this car. As Japan8 suggested you are going to want some Winter tires. I happen to have a set of some nice Hankooks (2 are brand new thanks to a pot hole, other two i good condition) on stock Mazda6 (not mazdaspeed) 17" wheels so you can easily switch them out from season to season. I haven't gotten them ready to put up for sale but your post made me think about it. Let me know if you're have any interest at all and we'll begin a discussion.

Be careful with that car, it's easy to forget you are going triple digits! :drive:[/b]
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Sport (Whitewater) in Ohio and am going to pick it up Sunday. The dealer put new Pirelli Pzeros on it, but I want to get a winter setup ASAP. Did you sell yours TraderStav? Does anybody else have a line on a set of 17s? The stock rims are still mint, and I'd like to keep them that way.

=WhiteKnight=
Grand Blanc, MI

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (Vansquish @ Nov 6 2009, 04:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1614838
I ended up just getting two Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS tires to replace the two bald ones I have, as the other two still had 8/32nds of tread left. I'm going to see how it goes over the first snowfall and then if I find I'm having trouble in the snow, winter tires.[/b]
Assuming this is an MS6, if I were you I'd replace all 4 at the same time. If you have tires with inconsistent treadlife left, it will create excess strain and damage on the drivetrain. I thought the guy was bs'ing me when he said that, then I posted the question on here and everyone said it was true.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All. Picked up a 2006 MS6 in Cincy in December with 10k on it. Will be lowering it on H&Rs (I think) with SPC adjustable ball joints.

Anyone familiar with a good alignment shop in the Toledo area? As much as I hate entering Michigan, I will if I have to...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Super dead. Thread was dead before I got my 6. Don't have a speed 6, but we should fill b-dub's parking lot with mazdas.

441 - 460 of 464 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.