Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving Miataes for seven years now, even in our snowy Canadian winters - and I just love the car and how it drives. Many people are saying that the 6 handle a bit like a Miata, how real is that? Anybody here drove both cars for a while?

FYI I'm thinking about trading my Miata for a 6 because we have a kid and even as a second car, the Miata is just not practical enough.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Miata comparison'

#1: Why are you driving your Miata in the winter? :D

The suspension of the 6 is supposed to be derivative from the Miata. So I would say it has a nice suspension that will tend towards the Miata as this is what it was modelled after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Originally posted by Kincaid

#1: Why are you driving your Miata in the winter? :D

The suspension of the 6 is supposed to be derivative from the Miata. So I would say it has a nice suspension that will tend towards the Miata as this is what it was modelled after.[/b]
I'm driving it in the winter because it's FUN!! ...when there is less than five inches of snow on the road that is! And it is the only car I can drive to work, my girlfriend use the family car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Mazda's suspensions (or pieces thereof) are patented, so I can see how their cars "feel" similar. I have heard the same comparison of a Protege and a Miata.

In fact, I (somewhat) recently drove a Protege5, and believe it or not, I felt some small memory of my '87 RX7 in it...

·
Registered
158 Posts

2nd gen RX-7s featured a new suspension design from Mazda called a twin trapezoidal link for the rear. That suspension has been in all 626s, Protoges, and Miatas sold in NA since then. The TTL suspension allows for what some call passive four wheel steering. I'm not a suspension guy, so I don't know how this is achieved but Mazda used it in the RX-7 to help reduce the oversteer found in the first gens.

So, yeah, your Protoge features a little piece of your old 2nd gen RX-7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts