Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Installing an aftermarket head unit in my 2005 6 (non-Bose) system. I'm using the Metra 99-7503 kit and a Pioneer DEH-2950MP unit. All the speakers, air con and climate control work, but the clock/temp display is blank. It's backlit and flashes when initially turned on, but the information doesn't come up.
Anyone else had this problem?
Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I remember reading some threads that had the same problem as you. The thing in common was those people were non US. Don't know if they fixed the problem though. I would search through the forum, if it's not just a loose connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys, i am new in this forum and wondering if i can get help in her .

i have the same problem as the guy above , bought a new double din fascia for my 2004 mazda 6 (australian) and install it by professional however he couldn't find out how to make the upper unit work,the display tunes on when i switch the light on but no display . the a/c working fine as well as the dvd unit .

i tried to contact the seller but no respond ,

this is the fascia

Mazda 6 Radio Stereo Car Install Double DIN Mount Navigation Bezel Kit Harness | eBay

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The link that he posted is the same one that you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
301 Posts
The link that he posted is the same one that you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

I know that... Just showed him it just because incase he didn't have reference pics.

And if I remember right people that didn't have U.S. models even the metra kit had problems. I don't remember reading if anybody got it working right on a non-U.S. model 6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem

My center display didn't work either until I started to play around with the 9 pins in the center of the circuit board. Just touch a couple of the pins together with a flathead screw driver and you should see the display show something. I haven't figured out how to get it to work, but if you touch the correct two pins together it should start working. The only thing I can't figure out is how to adjust the clock. I hold down the clock button and nothing happens. The set button and the dimmer button do the same thing and adjust the brightness. Trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read some things about using the factory radio oem connector? I've tried this, but I still have the same issue.. Like yours, mine flashes and then turns off - I have noticed its (very) lightly back-lit, so maybe it's just not getting enough power?

I had to move the amp on pin on the metra harness, as it didn't match the oem connector.. Makes me wonder which other pins weren't mapped correctly, at the factory...

Anyone have a solution for this? It's driving me nuts. :/

I should mention, I'm in Australia, driving an '03 6 GG series 1 luxury, using a pioneer DEH-X6550BT Headunit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi all, I'm glad I found this thread. I am in the UK and bought the ebay kit mentioned above. I am having the same issues mentioned here. The head unit works ok but the display is just back lit and blank. It briefly displays some random characters when being powered on then stays blank. I am not sure if the 3 HVAC buttons are working correctly as the LED's are behaving quite randomly coming on and off occasionally.

jcf6288 - Which 2 of the 9 Pins did you touch together to get the display working? I cant get any change on the display when trying this. Also what country is your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi all, I'm glad I found this thread. I am in the UK and bought the ebay kit mentioned above. I am having the same issues mentioned here. The head unit works ok but the display is just back lit and blank. It briefly displays some random characters when being powered on then stays blank. I am not sure if the 3 HVAC buttons are working correctly as the LED's are behaving quite randomly coming on and off occasionally.

jcf6288 - Which 2 of the 9 Pins did you touch together to get the display working? I cant get any change on the display when trying this. Also what country is your car?[/QUOTE

Honestly I just touched the 2 and 3rd from the right end together. Mine is a US version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bit of an update..

I called Metra in the US, apparently it's not made for the Australian version, and there's nothing they suggest I can do -- I've looked for the 9 pins to no avail.

I've called Amazon and arranged for a full refund and return, and will be ordering an alternative dash kit asap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wonder if replacing the lcd display with a US model one would fix the issue
Nope.

I've been in touch with Metra a lot about it. In response to be asking about swapping components for U.S components I was told the following:

I read the thread you suggested and it all sounds good in theory but if you try and hook the U.S. climate controller into a U.K. automobile you will fry your HVAC system as this has been tried before. The only way you could do this is to change the entire Body Control Module and pretty much rewire the vehicle to U.S. specifications. We have suggested that this kit be broadened in order to expand to the UK and Asia, and I will be putting your request into our market assessments in order to better facilitate this. I thank you again for your interest in Metra electronics, have a nice day.

I then informed them that the Kanatechs kit's do work with non U.S cars and mentioned that I've read about someone doing a firmware upgrade on their Metra kit and got it working on a UK car. They said the following:

I can confirm that this kit does not have the correct communication protocol in order to operate your HVAC system. I can also confirm that there is indeed a firmware and hardware update for European Mazdas, but just for the RX-8 kit, the 99/95-7510. The firmware and hardware for the 99-7503 both need to be converted in order to be able to communicate with this vehicle because of the “efficiency” A/C settings in this system and we would need to have one in order to address this issue. Because we are not able to obtain a European Mazda 6 for testing, we have not done so yet. This being said, you can check the Metra Online site periodically for any updates or new kits as they become available. Thank you for choosing Metra, have a nice day.

Considering I've found threads dating back to 2006 on this issue and it has been repeatedly requested to Metra, I doubt they are going to do anything about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm.

It was going to cost almost $400 to have it shipped back to amazon (cost me $160 for the metra itself), so amazon refunded my money and said I could keep the metra free of charge.. I'm tempted to combine a stock headunit's PCB and the metra kit somehow into some hybrid, to retain mileage display and temperature controls. I will return here with my results.

It's a shame metra won't/can't do anything. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm.

It was going to cost almost $400 to have it shipped back to amazon (cost me $160 for the metra itself), so amazon refunded my money and said I could keep the metra free of charge.. I'm tempted to combine a stock headunit's PCB and the metra kit somehow into some hybrid, to retain mileage display and temperature controls. I will return here with my results.

It's a shame metra won't/can't do anything. :(

You can't really do a hybrid because:

• The stock circuit board gets it's power from the stock head unit. (the harness plugs into the back of the head unit then when the head unit is pushed onto the circuit board, it get's it's power.
  • Secondly, if you managed to get past that, the board is too high and would cover the area where the new head unit would want to sit.
  • You can't event move the stock head unit and circuit further back, behind the metra and new head unit because you would lose HVAC controls and hazzard light etc.
However if you do think of a way round it, let me know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I then informed them that the Kanatechs kit's do work with non U.S cars and mentioned that I've read about someone doing a firmware upgrade on their Metra kit and got it working on a UK car. They said the following:

I can confirm that this kit does not have the correct communication protocol in order to operate your HVAC system. I can also confirm that there is indeed a firmware and hardware update for European Mazdas, but just for the RX-8 kit, the 99/95-7510. The firmware and hardware for the 99-7503 both need to be converted in order to be able to communicate with this vehicle because of the “efficiency” A/C settings in this system and we would need to have one in order to address this issue. Because we are not able to obtain a European Mazda 6 for testing, we have not done so yet. This being said, you can check the Metra Online site periodically for any updates or new kits as they become available. Thank you for choosing Metra, have a nice day.

Considering I've found threads dating back to 2006 on this issue and it has been repeatedly requested to Metra, I doubt they are going to do anything about it.
Where did you read this? I'm very tempted to give that a try! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where did you read this? I'm very tempted to give that a try! :)
Hi,

The cable can be bought on ebay (dont get the overpriced metra/axxess one) and the firmware would be from the axxess website I beleive.

If you check all posts by the user neil201 he managed to get the kit working correctly on a UK car. You will have to sift through various threads to find out how. His posts below:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/search.php?searchid=1102538

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts