Mazda 6 Forums banner

Metallic clunk over bumps

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kms_uzuki 
#1 ·
I've tried finding my issue in threads but this seems unique.
2018 Mazda6 touring. 54k miles. Second owner since 42k mi. Brown/gray color...
I'm getting a metallic clunk from the front end over bumps. But when I engage even small amount of brakes over bumps: no clunk.
Do brakes make the shocks expand or preload or something?
I went to the auto hobby shop on the Army base and hit everything underneath with the rubber mallet to replicate the noise. Seems like it's struts. Techs there said probably strut bearings worn and recommended complete quick struts because of mileage. I look forward to doing the work with their supervision but Im just seeking to confirm their diagnosis since I only have one chance to get it right with other expenses to prioritize.
Also seeking recommendations on good quality inexpensive complete struts.
Thank you Mazda family for your help.

#2 ·
Has, i just had something like this on my 3 after i installed Koni Yellows. It took a couple weeks to show up, and since i hit a pot hole and the strut blew, i thought maybe it was the hat. It wasnt, the strut bolts had worked loose enough that sometimes during braking it would pop a little. I didnt discover this till i went and retouched everything i touched before, but this time with a pair of wrenches instead of my fingers.

Good quality and inexpensive? Not gonna happen. Just pull your wheels and make sure everything is tight.

#3 ·
I've tried finding my issue in threads but this seems unique.
2018 Mazda6 touring. 54k miles. Second owner since 42k mi. Brown/gray color...
I'm getting a metallic clunk from the front end over bumps. But when I engage even small amount of brakes over bumps: no clunk.
Do brakes make the shocks expand or preload or something?
I went to the auto hobby shop on the Army base and hit everything underneath with the rubber mallet to replicate the noise. Seems like it's struts. Techs there said probably strut bearings worn and recommended complete quick struts because of mileage. I look forward to doing the work with their supervision but Im just seeking to confirm their diagnosis since I only have one chance to get it right with other expenses to prioritize.
Also seeking recommendations on good quality inexpensive complete struts.
Thank you Mazda family for your help.
Did you ever resolve your problem? I am having the exact same problem after getting a brake job. Loud clacks/rattles going over bumps and cracks in the road that go away when applying the brakes. Driving me nuts.

#4 ·
Loose pads or caliper bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.