Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Here is a recorded video for an abnormal metal knocking sound when the ignition and engine is switched off: Clunking/knocking sound when ignition off. This is a 2017 mazda 6.
This is how the knocking sound is produced:
1. drive back from a normal trip, drive forward into garage
2. shift to neutral, turn on electric parking brake, shift to parking
3. turn the ignition off. Exactly at the time when ignition and engine is switched off, the sound is heard.

I am not sure if anyone experienced this. I took the car to dealer and they diagnosed it to be the parking brake actuator, the sound comes from the rear. However, I kind of doubt the diagnosis result, because:
1. I think I heard the sound from the front, not from the rear.
2. I don't understand why there is not such sound when I turn on/off the parking brake. How would turning ignition off cause that sound from the parking brake actuator?

Thanks, Guys!

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
2. shift to neutral, turn on electric parking brake, shift to parking
Dont do that, go straight to park.

The only i hear is one clunk that sounds like something ceasing to move. Doesnt sound like banging which means more than one and doesnt sound alarming either.

It could be the trans clunking cause youve locked the car from moving with the e-brake before it shuts down. Im sure THAT could be bad eventually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually I stop the car with same steps you described.
I have same sound and I notice it whenever I turn off the car.
Mazda 2021 6 2.0
Thanks for the reply. The dealer did a diagnosis and gave a conclusion: the sound is coming from the EPB actuator engaged. When ignition is switched off, the actuator still engage a bit more even I already turn on the EPB before switch ignition off. I was not fully convinced. However yesterday I just got back my car without replacing the actuator. I tried a few times: I didn't turn on EPB before ignition off. And I don't hear the knocking sound anymore. So maybe the dealer diagnosis was right. I am going to do a few more tests: turn on EPB and off ignition, and see if I still hear the sound.

Since you also hear the sound, it might be fine then. Although I didn't hear it until recently. The loaner cars I got also didn't have the sound. The deal quoted $900 to replace both actuators...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I paid $220 diagnosis fee to dealer. I thought it could be a powertrain issue so I had it diagnosis. Was hoping to get a powertrain part replaced before the warranty expired. They checked the transmission and said it's OK. They said it's coming from the actuator. I'll spend a few more times testing it out with EPB on/off before ignition off, and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
They said it's coming from the actuator.
What actuator? The EPB? No, impossible, that sound is coming from the trans. You should never put it in to Park with the e-brake engaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts