Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another thing I screwed up during my recent clutch job:

While I was replacing passenger side axle seal, the seal puller broke off a tiny piece of metal from the inner lip of the transmission housing. It was probably the size of a piece of rice. That little piece wound up going into the hole at the bottom of that inner lip. I'm not sure if that hole leads to anywhere, or if it drains back into the trans housing. What could happen if that little aluminum chip found its way to the gears or synchros?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I went to a transmission shop for a separate issue from this. While I was there, I asked the shop owner what he thought about this whole situation. He said that a piece of aluminum that small would not harm the transmission. That it would just be ground up into nothing. The gears are made of steel, which is a much harder metal than aluminum, and the transmission would win. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone was curious.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
fly757
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing