Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I met with a Mazda factory technical rep in Sacramento, CA along with the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the car. The meeting with the factory rep was possible as I had complained to Mazda USA a few times. Our meeting concerned the Recall Campaign and the change in engine performance post flash.

The meeting was courteous and we had an open exchange of information. I explained the difference in engine performance post flash and expressed my dismay at no longer feeling the excellent low rpm torque after the flash. They took my car for a test drive and upon their return we talked some more. Although the engine is now performing flawlessly at high rpm and I have no longer experienced the power loss issue, I told them that I strongly desired the feeling of the impressive low end torque the engine exhibited pre-flash.

The Mazda Technical Rep said that it is a known issue to them and they have had several complaints from other owners, especially in California. He told me that they are reviewing all the complaints and are working to address the issue by trying to bring back the high low-end torque of this engine whilst negating the power loss issue. He said that because of the recall process and federal government regulations, it will take them some time to issue a new recall with a new software map.

I am hopeful that Mazda engineers will develop a new software map that will extract the excellent perfomance potential of this engine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do that. That is exactly what I want. I have reported this to them as well. I don't want to have to tune with aftermarket companies until I am out of warranty. Plus we shouldn't have to pay to tune it with someone else and I don't plan on modding anymore for a while. Mazda needs to get this right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine has been reflashed and I haven't noticed any difference from pre to post flash.

Why don't you guys get together and have a pre flash dynod and a post flash and show them the results.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've got an early build, 09/05, there was most definitly a difference. i agree with hockey, i have the same feelings. at first, i was just glad to be done with the powerloss. now it's time to address the variance in performance post flash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you guys talk about any stutter or pause after shifting with wot?
[/b]
Yes, I did discuss the slight stumble with them. I told them it seems to want to go, then the engine is held back around 3,000 rpm at WOT for a fraction of a second.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I did discuss the slight stumble with them. I told them it seems to want to go, then the engine is held back around 3,000 rpm at WOT for a fraction of a second.
[/b]
So what was the result of that comment/question? I am having the same problem with the hesitation/hiccup at WOT after shifting...VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thank you hockey - please keep us posted. This is exactly what I have been hoping for, but am having no luck here.

Right now still trying to get a replacement windshield (and now a front bumper too - damned racoon)

·
Registered
171 Posts
hockey, this is great news! - thank you

Like a number of folks on this forum - I want my torque back - without voiding my warranty.

(I also complained to Mazda Canada - so it's good that we are telling them from all angles)

BTW, I never had the power loss issue ... so my dissapointment is accute!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So what was the result of that comment/question? I am having the same problem with the hesitation/hiccup at WOT after shifting...VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b]
not to be annoying and ask an obvious question, but is it the turbo spooling back up that you're feeling? it can be a pretty pronounced feeling

·
Registered
243 Posts
This morning I met with a Mazda factory technical rep in Sacramento, CA along with the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the car. The meeting with the factory rep was possible as I had complained to Mazda USA a few times. Our meeting concerned the Recall Campaign and the change in engine performance post flash.

The meeting was courteous and we had an open exchange of information. I explained the difference in engine performance post flash and expressed my dismay at no longer feeling the excellent low rpm torque after the flash. They took my car for a test drive and upon their return we talked some more. Although the engine is now performing flawlessly at high rpm and I have no longer experienced the power loss issue, I told them that I strongly desired the feeling of the impressive low end torque the engine exhibited pre-flash.

The Mazda Technical Rep said that it is a known issue to them and they have had several complaints from other owners, especially in California. He told me that they are reviewing all the complaints and are working to address the issue by trying to bring back the high low-end torque of this engine whilst negating the power loss issue. He said that because of the recall process and federal government regulations, it will take them some time to issue a new recall with a new software map.

I am hopeful that Mazda engineers will develop a new software map that will extract the excellent perfomance potential of this engine.
[/b]
Did anyone leap to the issue being greater in California being linked to the crappy, low octane gas offered here? I hate this state and it's rancid fuels!! No where else in the country can you make less horsepower and get worse milage than here! ...end rant...

I'll be interested to see if there's a part II to the engine flash, I'm kind of doubting it though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
it's a boost/timing/throttle issue. They programmed the system, most likely what we were feeling was fake torque. Basically, since it's drive by wire, and you think you're only giving it 25% throttle, i have a feeling the car is programmed to give it say 40% throttle to make it "feel" really torquey, but in actuality it's just because you're giving it more gas. They most likely reduced this number in the throttle body tables to have a more accurate feel.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi-Jack Warning.....

Hockey -- I see you're from Sacto. I didn't know there were any other MS6's on the road here (I guess I can't claim to be the only one anymore).

Where'd you get your car? I test drove the one at Senator and Vacaville but ended buying from Almaden in San Jose. They definitely made it worth my while price-wise plus they had the color that I wanted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts