Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at a Mazda dealer in the Minneapolis suburbs on Friday to look at the new Mazda6. They had one on the showroom floor and serveral outside. When I went in, a salesmand was sitting in the car with the car with someone going over interior features. A woman was also standing just outside the car listening.

So, I start looking over the car and pretty soon, the woman starts up a conversation about the car. She tells me she's from Mazda Corporate so its safe to talk with her because she's the only one not on commission. We're talking about the car and she shows me some stuff, asking if I want a manual (of course) or which engine (undecided) and when I plan on buying (not until the 5-door arrives); what options I'd look at, where I've read about the car. In talking about the handling and engines, she mentions that she's driven the car on a track in Japan and with a Skip Barber instructor. She asks if I'm on their information mailing lists and that its her signature on all the cover letters.

Well, I'm much too busy looking at the car to realize who it is I'm talking with. After I leave, it all starts coming to me that I'd read an artical about a marketing higher-up from Mazda in an issue of Miata Monthy. I go home find the artical and discover that this person I was talking with was Kristen Simmons, VP of Marketing for Mazda USA.

I feel that I really missed an opportunity here, but at least imparted that I wasn't buying until the 5-door arrives. Judging by her reaction, I think its a comment they are hearing frequently. Now, if they can just bring those black lens covers from Japan...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Met Kristen Simmons'

Doh!!

You ruin the opportunity for every Mazda6 enthusiast in North American. You had the chance to voice your opinion to a VP of Marketing and you did not put in the word about hatchback, options and such.

Man, that sucks. Oh well, if it was me I would not know her as well and I would probably not look her up afterward like yourself.

Oh well, C'EST LA VIE!

·
Registered
446 Posts

At least you did get to tell her that many of us are waiting for the 5-door! Sounds cool. Too bad a VP probably won't be at the dealership tomorrow here in NY. I get to see and drive my first 6 tomorrow!

·
Registered
53 Posts

Just typed that name in Google (Kristens that is) and trying to find a corresponding pic that goes with the name.

No luck so far but I did find an article where they said vice president of Mazda?

Has she been promoted perhaps?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I read it in Miata Monthly magazine. I've still got the issue, so I'll try to remember to bring it to work and scan a picture. Very personable (and attractive) woman.

·
Registered
53 Posts

That is good to hear Ickes. I did a search again via Google and I found this piece of info:

Prevue Magazine - Ronny Yu on Formula 51
... various promotional tie-ins with the film, and Mazda vice president Kristen Simmons
notes, "It's an ...
www.prevuemagazine.com/Articles/Newz - 45k - In cache - Gelijkwaardige pagina's

The annoying thing is that it does mention Kristen but that once you click on the link there is no way to dig up the info about that article. :(((

Wow scanning the picture would be great. Thanks for the effort already Ickes.

·
Registered
137 Posts

So let me get this straight, you met the VP of marketing and you didn't mention anything about the cut back on quality, the option packages, leather seats....

What were you thinking???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

She did't offer up that she was a VP (I figured it out after leaving) and, frankly I was more interested in my first look at the car.

One thing I'm certain of is that I did manage to get across that they need the 5-door here ASAP. The sedan's trunk opening is too small. I think I also complained about the lack of rear headrests (the seatback only comes up to the base of the neck).

She asked me about the option packages. I said I'd probably be more intereseted in the 6s because ABS is available with fewer options. She seemed pretty smart and probably picked up the underlying message (I hope). I also said that despite reading that the 6i is the better all round car, I'd may go with the 6s just for the foot-stomping fun. I went with a 4cyl. Contour based on similar comments when that car came out and often wish for more oomphf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts