Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
him - So, I hear you got a new car
me - yeah, it's a mazdaspeed6... it's fun, puts a smile on my face every time i drive it...
him - let's see it

*we walk outside and look at the car*

him - is it fast?
me - it's alright, fast enough for me, for now...
him - are you going to mod it?
me - yeah, eventually, not sure what yet...
him - good... you should drop it, definetely
me - yeah, but i'm not looking to spend too much on coilovers, and there aren't really too many spring options out there...
him - cut 'em
me - *cough cough* what??
him - cut 'em, that'll get you the drop...
me - ummm... i like my suspension and the handling, and i'm not willing to sacrafice that so i get a 1" drop...
him - but your car will be lower and it will handle better...
me - riiiiiiiiiight it'll also handle unevenly and unpredictably...
him - but it will look better and it will handle better b/c it's lower...
me - riiiiiiiight.... *slowly backs away*

GENIUS I SAY.... where can i go to cut my springs!!??

</sarcasm>

just a funny lil story i thought i'd share... :) payce!!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Back in the day they used to cut springs or heat them up to lower cars. You should slap that guy for even suggesting that on a car made after 60's.
[/b]
i've had cutting my springs suggested by old car guys...booo

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ah yes the spring cutting. Its always a good time watching cars drive down the road with cut springs that look like they are going to fall apart when they hit a pebble in the road. My bro did it to his 90 POS truck just because he didnt really care. I rode in it one time and just about shit myself it shook so much.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Haha, I saw an Integra a few months back at an autox with cut springs. Everyone there almost died laughing as the car looked like it would roll over everytime it took a turn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting... I purchased my 6 from a dealer here in Illinois, the Chicago area. The car was already lowered and I was told it was used as a pace car at Laguna Seca. Ergo the decals. A couple of months ago I had a noise in my rear when I made sharp right turns. Took it to the dealer in Naperville and they asked me who had lowered my car. I said Mazda did. And the Service Manager replied I doubt it because the springs have been cut. He checked with Mazda and sure enough there was documentation on my car. He fixed the problem under warranty. I asked the Service Manager is it a bad thing to have the springs cut and he said not really, just don't see it much anymore. I then asked, is it safe, should I replace these springs and he said no problem. Now I have never thought twice about it as my 6 looks great lowered, perfectly even all around and if there is any loss in handling someone is going to have to prove it to me. I'm not timid driving and not timid throwing the 6 into the apex of a curve hard. When I bought the car it had 10,000 miles on it, now it has 52,000. I have not experianced any of what has been mentioned in the previous posts here. Truly, what is the down side of having your springs cut if they are cut correctly, if correctly is the right word. Are there any possible mechanical failures that might occur due to the springs being cut, are they less strong? I'm not opposed to replacing them, from what I have experianced I really don't see a need to.

Brooke

·
Registered
135 Posts
Reminds me of driving by the local "hot rod shop" (small down, so some guys garage) and they had a bunch of guys sitting on a truck (12 or so) I asked what they were doing, they were lowering it by adding weight, and heating the springs with an oxi-acedaline torch (excuse spelling)! thats gotta be good for the spring rates I thought, later seeing the "lowered" lime green mazda truck scraping on every pot hole in town...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Interesting... I purchased my 6 from a dealer here in Illinois, the Chicago area. The car was already lowered and I was told it was used as a pace car at Laguna Seca. Ergo the decals. A couple of months ago I had a noise in my rear when I made sharp right turns. Took it to the dealer in Naperville and they asked me who had lowered my car. I said Mazda did. And the Service Manager replied I doubt it because the springs have been cut. He checked with Mazda and sure enough there was documentation on my car. He fixed the problem under warranty. I asked the Service Manager is it a bad thing to have the springs cut and he said not really, just don't see it much anymore. I then asked, is it safe, should I replace these springs and he said no problem. Now I have never thought twice about it as my 6 looks great lowered, perfectly even all around and if there is any loss in handling someone is going to have to prove it to me. I'm not timid driving and not timid throwing the 6 into the apex of a curve hard. When I bought the car it had 10,000 miles on it, now it has 52,000. I have not experianced any of what has been mentioned in the previous posts here. Truly, what is the down side of having your springs cut if they are cut correctly, if correctly is the right word. Are there any possible mechanical failures that might occur due to the springs being cut, are they less strong? I'm not opposed to replacing them, from what I have experianced I really don't see a need to.

Brooke
[/b]
the first negative of cutting your springs is that it changes the length of travel. the spring rates dont change though. the shocks are designed to operate under the stock length of travel. if the springs are cut, then the shocks are no longer operating in the designed range and thus, will wear faster.

the second negative is since the spring rate is the same, the chances of bottoming out are highly increased. the bushings, bumpstops, and every suspension piece will get hit as if it were getting hit by a hammer, and sooner or later, something will fail. this is why every aftermarket lowering spring u can find has a higher spring rate than stock.

the third negative is the camber. this is why people get camber kits. having a negative camber hurts handling and wears the tires unevenly.

the fourth negative.... do u really want me to continue?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The ORIGINAL crews who started the whole lowering mod, were the pachuco's in L.A. They used to fill their trunks with sand bags to achieve their desired drop.

Just another useless fact I thought I'd share.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
the third negative is the camber. this is why people get camber kits. having a negative camber hurts handling and wears the tires unevenly.
[/b]
:slap: Says who???? We WANT negative camber!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Those things are way beyond my mechanical knowledge. It sounds like I want to put in proper springs before I do have damage. How can I identify that the springs were indeed cut. Wouldn't you have thought that 40,000 miles and 3 years of driving I would have had some of these problems? Is it possible the Service manager was wrong and maybe the proper springs are in place and he was just blowing sand up my ass in regards to warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Brooke

the first negative of cutting your springs is that it changes the length of travel. the spring rates dont change though. the shocks are designed to operate under the stock length of travel. if the springs are cut, then the shocks are no longer operating in the designed range and thus, will wear faster.

the second negative is since the spring rate is the same, the chances of bottoming out are highly increased. the bushings, bumpstops, and every suspension piece will get hit as if it were getting hit by a hammer, and sooner or later, something will fail. this is why every aftermarket lowering spring u can find has a higher spring rate than stock.

the fourth negative.... do u really want me to continue?
[/b]

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Those things are way beyond my mechanical knowledge. It sounds like I want to put in proper springs before I do have damage. How can I identify that the springs were indeed cut. Wouldn't you have thought that 40,000 miles and 3 years of driving I would have had some of these problems? Is it possible the Service manager was wrong and maybe the proper springs are in place and he was just blowing sand up my ass in regards to warranty. Any help would be appreciated.

Brooke
[/b]
stock springs are usually black with no labels. every aftermarket spring on the market has a brand name on it. even mazdaspeed.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You can also tell by the dimension/shape of the springs, your best bet would be to drop out one of the rears and take a picture and post it up if you're still not sure.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will take a look and if it's not obvious I will pull a rear spring as you suggest.

Thanks...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I finally got around to getting some pics of my rear springs. Can anyone tell if these are stock and cut?

More pics to follow...

Three more pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
19 Participants
KevinK2
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing