Mazda 6 Forums banner

Would you be interested in buying this mesh grille?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the result of the request from Grand Rapids, MI:

BEFORE (Template):

AFTER (Grille):

The templates worked GREAT! I just wish I had straighter cuts. I submitted these to the manufacturer, and he'd like some feedback on the interest level to construct these.

NOTES:

1) The grille needed to be massaged and rounded out to fit the contours of the OEM Grille.

2) I will recommend a SILVER or Chrome tone b/c the Black on Black seems to get absorbed (plan on painting mine chrome).

Please post your thoughts, questions or comments (And please answer the quick poll questions). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honeycomb type mesh grille...ala Kamei. There is even DIY kit, below the Kamei page.

KAMEI Sports Grilles at KAMEI Car Styling, Roof Boxes and Auto Extra Accessories. Audi, BMW, Opel, Vauxhall, Volkswagen.

Not too bad, OPC. Looks good, really.

So is this a slap-on type (front of OEM grilles)? How can these be secured..by clips, screws. Any drilling involved...Theft-proof... :)
The company has two types of fasteners: zip ties and custom clips.

For the Do-It-Yourselfer, they offer different types of grille mesh to choose from. My kit costed $87 (included shipping). The company wants to see IF there is any market demand for this. Thanks for the compliment! :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I like it but perhaps a brushed aluminum look could also give a good stand out look but not too flashy. Having a chrome next to the chrome in the front brow could loose some of it spazas

·
Registered
58 Posts
From what I understand, the RADAR tech is hidden behind the logo for GT Owners, hence the reason for leaving it in place. Can someone confirm this?
That is correct. The way to tell is the GT's with radar cruise control have a flush Mazda logo. The ones without the tech the logo is more "3D", the "empty" parts of the logo are cut out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
voted...

Thanks for your response. If you hadn't already, please notate your response in the poll also. Will be sharing the responses with the prospective vendor / mfg.
i should edit my earlier response by saying i like the mesh but not the grill underneath. i'd prefer something maybe brushed Al or something so u can't see past the mesh so well. i hate looking at a radiator (or a perfect space for an intercooler!). i also like the attention paid to the lower grill.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final update

Greetings guys...

Due to a number of factors, including my flawed template, the company has decided to hold off on going forward with developing a grill for the GJ Mazda 6. So I wanted to take the time to say THANKS for all who participated in this effort. That stated I'm posting my results. I plan to do a little more with it, but the current results are NICE (i.m.o.). :D

(P.S. - You may also notice "a little more ORANGE" under the hood. ;) )

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
So how would you clean the dirt build-up on the original grill behind the mesh grill? Would you just resort to water pressure taking care of removing the dirt? Because this mesh would prevent you from being able to wipe off those horizontal bars (for lack of a better word) on the original grill, correct?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rubba-dub-dub...

So how would you clean the dirt build-up on the original grill behind the mesh grill? Would you just resort to water pressure taking care of removing the dirt? Because this mesh would prevent you from being able to wipe off those horizontal bars (for lack of a better word) on the original grill, correct?
That's true, however the dirt was hardly an issue on the grill. To answer, I'd use a degreaser and pressure wash it clean. Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Greetings guys...

Due to a number of factors, including my flawed template, the company has decided to hold off on going forward with developing a grill for the GJ Mazda 6. So I wanted to take the time to say THANKS for all who participated in this effort. That stated I'm posting my results. I plan to do a little more with it, but the current results are NICE (i.m.o.). :D

(P.S. - You may also notice "a little more ORANGE" under the hood. ;) )

Thanks again!!

I kinda like that. How come they decided to not produce again?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CustomCarGrills OFFICIAL RESPONSE

I kinda like that. How come they decided to not produce again?
Here's the OFFICIAL Response:

Vince, let the thread on the forums run for a few days to see the responses. I think for now, I’m going to pass on this design. I’m going to look for a used factory grill and see if I can take a slightly different approach to it and try to remove the factory bars all together or possibly do one that is not curved.

Matt

So as I shared, that my flawed template contributed to their decision. However there's still "hope" they may develop a grille. Ironically, I had a local member in Grand Rapids to reach out, yet I'm not sure if they engaged him yet. Hopefully they will. Thanks!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Characteristics...

While I like your idea, and applaud you for going forward with it, I agree with removing the stock bars instead of putting a mesh grille on top of it.
That would be GREAT. Based on doing this project, I've learned you'd probably have to remove the bottom bumper to access the Radiator Grille Insert. And I also HOPE they don't make it FLAT...it looks a heck of lot better slightly curved (i.m.h.o.). Thanks for the compliment also (it was well received and greatly appreciated). :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts