Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't bash me, I did search first!
(I thought this was necessary given all the search-bashing lately)

So I'm wondering if there's any drawback to having a mechanical boost gauge.

By adding the tubing run from the splitter to the gauge, you increase the amount of volume necessary to fill up before peak potential is reached.

1. Is the added tubing sooooo little that it makes 0.000001% difference?

2. What about turbulence, does the splitter interfere with the pressured air flow?

3. How does an electronic boost gauge work? Is there a sensor in place of the splitter and a wire is run to the gauge and the gauge runs off voltage rather than pressure?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The drawbacks of mechanical gauge are:

1. At higher boost levels (depending on the gauge, usually 15psi and up) the needle shakes around like a madman and it makes an irritating ass rattling noise. Definately invest in an electronic gauge if you can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.

The drawbacks of mechanical gauge are:

1. At higher boost levels (depending on the gauge, usually 15psi and up) the needle shakes around like a madman and it makes an irritating ass rattling noise. Definately invest in an electronic gauge if you can.
[/b]

You are correct, it does depend on the gauge. I have the Stewart Warner gauge and love it. It cost me about 150 ($65 shipped) less than the other gauges and not only does it work great, but the color match to stock gauges is almost perfect with the supplied bulbs. And to your point about the rattling and vibrating needle, Stewart Warner provides a special valvue that eliminates both issues. Dont waste your money on a electronic gauge.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.
You are correct, it does depend on the gauge. I have the Stewart Warner gauge and love it. It cost me about 150 ($65 shipped) less than the other gauges and not only does it work great, but the color match to stock gauges is almost perfect with the supplied bulbs. And to your point about the rattling and vibrating needle, Stewart Warner provides a special valvue that eliminates both issues. Dont waste your money on a electronic gauge.
[/b]
Great thanks!

I'll definately look into Stewart Warner.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What gauge pods are you all using? I don't like the one that sits up in front of the gauges. I was hoping for something a little more recessed into the steering column.
[/b]
I have a NAV and I don't like the steering wheel mounts. I saw someone mounted the gauge in the air outlet in the dash.

The diameter of the air hole is about 76mm. Not quite big enough for an 80mm gauge, but I've seen a 60mm mounted in there.

I might try it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the diameter of the air hole is EXACTLY 3 1/8", just a hair too short for 80mm.
I'm going to cut the panel anyway. I think a nice 80mm gauge will so nice there and if I do a good job, it might look factory considering the gauge with the bezel matches the exact size of the air holes!

Photoshop'd (Maybe a black face instead, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Too bad they don't have one with a silver face.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check out my cardomain in my sig for pics of day / night shots.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out my cardomain in my sig for pics of day / night shots.
[/b]
It looks good! I want the gauge to be a little bigger though.

What size gauge did you use?

The opening is just barely too small for an 80mm gauge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It looks good! I want the gauge to be a little bigger though.

What size gauge did you use?

The opening is just barely too small for an 80mm gauge.
[/b]

Stewart Warner's are all 52mm. I wanted an 80 also but like you said, the openings too small.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I ordered my stewart warner today in 2 5/8 (60mm). Black face. $48.00...I will look for where I got it from... http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/stewarn14a.htm
[/b]
They supply you with a vibration reducer T fitting. Make sure you use it. It'll keep the needle from vibrating and buzzing at high boost levels. This is common of mechanical gauges, and most people wont get them for this reason but this gauge with the T fitting is great. I love it, and am really glad I didnt spend $200 :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts