Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey so last night I dropped off my car overnight at the stealership to get some basic work done on it. When I dropped my car off I stated that I wanted an estimate prior to work being done.

So fast forward to this morning and around lunch time, they call quoting me for an hour of labor and that we'll work from there. This is what I was assuming the case would be as it's a 30 minute job and the dealer and every mechanic around here charge an hour minimum. So I say okay and they get to work.

3ish hours later they call me telling me that "bla blah blah, Our mechanic basically destroyed his tap blah blah blah, we charged two hours of labor"

Umm...

Unfortunately I was in front of work related peeps so I didn't want to argue, I said okay and hung up.

Now they never called to let me know that they will charge extra or anything. So this went from being a $120 job to $272 without any warning or notification.

What do I do? How do I approach this?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I've had a 1.3 hour job turn into a 4 hour job before. I'm not sure if you have any legal ground to stand on.

If they actually needed to spend 2 hours then you might have to pay for it.

Quick question though...what in the hell was he tapping? Make sure they didn't damage your car before you hand over the cash.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was tapping the bolt hole that I fucked up. Thats why it was there.

I know I don't have any legal ground it's just Bull Shit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Now they never called to let me know that they will charge extra or anything. So this went from being a $120 job to $272 without any warning or notification.

What do I do? How do I approach this?
Look up your laws.. most states (in canada too just dont know in your area) specifically forbid that and they cant claim anything above the 120 without authorization first. No one would be able to take their cars or have anything else done by another person without such protections...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know at my dealership that if someone comes in for a specific job we tell them how many hours it will take and no matter how long it takes us we only bill out what we told you upfront. Dealerships that do what you just said they did wont last long. The thing ive found to be most rewarding to the customer is if you stick with a dealership and always bring your car to us we take care of you really well. Sometimes well hook a person up with warranty work even tho they are out of warranty coverage by a couple thousand miles. You may not be able to do anything about whats happened allready but it hurts them more if you never go back and never recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They're going to Blow me.

http://www.amvic.org/PDF/unfair.pdf

Charging a price for goods or services that is more than 10 per cent – to a maximum of $100 – higher than the estimate given for those goods or services unless the consumer has specifically agreed to the increase. Example: A repair shop says it will cost $150 to fix an item, but the final bill is $400.

I'll glady pay them 132 bucks or whatever 1hr + 10% is. Fuck it, I'll even pay $150

Also, I'm sure 80% of the work involved modifying his tap for the hole.
Well fuck that. He could've called me, said "Listen, we don't have a tap, we have to order one" and it would've easily fit under the hour when they got the tap.

They didn't have to do anything prior to the tap, the under carriage cover was off and the mount was already half on.

Oh shit, now I'm pumped. I am not paying that extra hour. Sweet.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's pretty much understood that if they're fixing your mistake, you pay extra.

If you want to watch, double.

If you want to help, triple.

If you tried to fix it yourself, quadruple.

No, it's not right and depending on your state probably not legal. But it is not uncommon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I won :)

Paid for the one hour only. Talked to a different tech who was very understanding. Thanks chad!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hmmm, unexpected but very pleasant outcome...congrats!

I'm noting this for the next time I need to take my car in for something I can't fix myself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it was pretty funny. I was going in there all pumped up and pissed ready to cause a scene and I walk in, it's all quiet with one tech left there and I go up to him ready to go, with my legal thing printed out and the guy pretty immediately drops that last hour before I could even pull the paper out. The moment I said they didn't call.

It was great success. Never lay down and take it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts