Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to turbos and have been reading a lot about the EBCs that people are starting to install. With our particular cars, whats the advantage/disadvantage of an MBC, aside from not having the controls at your fingertips?

·
Registered
206 Posts
with electronics comes more hassles and complications...when they break it's a lot more expensive and time consuming than manual stuff, as well as being harder to tune. the mbc is also easier to install. i bought an ebc but then decided to go with the mbc after doing research.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It really all depends on what YOU want. Ofcourse EBC will have the looks, the technology, and the style. MBC is simple, small and hides under the hood. With an EBC, it will control boost spike, as it is an electronic pulsating valve that constantly adjusts. Manual just sits at what the settled down boost will be, and the spikes will be higher. You can have multiple settings, and adjust boost with ease with an EBC. Once you dial in boost with an MBC, its set until you adjust it. And like tenshiko said, with electronics, they are more expensive to fix.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Do boost controllers even work with our turbo setup?
[/b]
I assume you were away from the forum for a while then.

There are number of members got boost controller in their cars and running really good lately. So, yes it works. Hope this is the answer you are after.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Mbc and Ebc are fine and everything but I'm waiting for them to come out with a Pbc (psychic boost controller) where they implant a chip into your brain and when you want more boost you "will" it to do so

:sarc: - Go Boost Go!

EDIT: Speeeling

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so as I add on mods, am i going to be limited by an MBC at any point? Or, if I spend the extra money on the EBC, will i have problems with it being compatible with any other mods?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
No and no.

·
Registered
353 Posts
so as I add on mods, am i going to be limited by an MBC at any point? Or, if I spend the extra money on the EBC, will i have problems with it being compatible with any other mods?
[/b]
You could be limited by the EBC though. A friend had an EBC on his car and he could not make anymore than i think 24 lbs of boost. Switched out for an MBC and he was able to make the 30lbs he was trying to. The EBC can only go so far, an MBC you can just keep turning the knob in making the spring in it tighter.

Though, doubting many on this site will ever go that high (24 lbs) an EBC would probably be fine. I'll stick to the cheap, proven over and over again MBCs. Also, you can get an MBC that can be adjusted from inside the car.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You could be limited by the EBC though. A friend had an EBC on his car and he could not make anymore than i think 24 lbs of boost. Switched out for an MBC and he was able to make the 30lbs he was trying to. The EBC can only go so far, an MBC you can just keep turning the knob in making the spring in it tighter.

Though, doubting many on this site will ever go that high (24 lbs) an EBC would probably be fine. I'll stick to the cheap, proven over and over again MBCs. Also, you can get an MBC that can be adjusted from inside the car.
[/b]
That really depends on what type of ebc you are using. The e-01 is supposedly capable of providing ~60psi (depending on what it's hooked up to, of coarse).

·
Registered
353 Posts
That really depends on what type of ebc you are using. The e-01 is supposedly capable of providing ~60psi (depending on what it's hooked up to, of coarse).
[/b]
I think he was running the profec -b. The one with a high and low setting. Maybe some are different from others and can hold more. Just seems most of the people running high boost run a MBC. Plus you just set it and be done with it. Just how I look at it I guess. Dont like the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on something ill just set to where I want it and leave it.

Now, maybe for drag racing or having a pump gas/ race gas setup it would be easier with a EBC, but then I wouldjust make a mark and remember how many turns was what.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts