Mazda 6 Forums banner

Mazdaspeed6 vs. RX-8

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazdaspeed6 or RX-8? Which car performs better (acceleration, top speed, handling, etc.) and has more zoom-zoom?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i say ms6 because its faster and has awd. maybe if u said rx-7, id change my mind. the rx-8 was a downgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
why don't you drive both, since its opinion. Besides your only gonna get biased opinions in a MAZDASPEED6 forum.
[/b]
Since I traded my RX-8 for a MS6, I think I can form a non-biased opinion of it. I still recommend you drive both before you decide.

The RX-8 is great if you want longer gears, as you don't need to shift quite as much. But once you get off the line, you will be spending a lot of time at high RPMs if you want power. Off the line, the RX feels slow compared to the MS6 although the 0-6 times are similar. It is quite easy to drive the RX like a granny and be in 6th gear by mid-40 MPH. It drives nicely (due to 50:50 weight distro), and performs predictably around corners (that easy fish tail can be a blast). You often have to downshift for passing power on the highway, whereas the the MS6 has power in 6th gear.

The MS6 is great for the more luxurious ride, and better all weather performance. It pulls like a monster from the line, but you are rowing the gearbox more. If you are a bigger person, the MS6 has more comfortable seats. But the RX is fine for leg/head room (I'm 6'2"). The driving position of the MS6 feels much higher, and it's easier to get in/out of. The MS6 is harder to get that 'fun factor' in the corners. It has a larger turning radius, and it's harder to take a corner at speed (and feel comfortable doing it).

Both are equally rough riding, and fun to drive in their own ways. If you removed the governors, I bet the RX would have a higher top speed, but I never did the math. MS6 has better gas mileage by 2-4 MPG, depending on your foot.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The 8 is a lightweight (less then 3,000 lbs stock 6spd), neutrally balanced chassis (almost 50/50 exactly), with a high reving engine and incredible suspension (double wishbone front and rear).

The only thing the 8 lacks is engine power. The mps 6 is more of a Grand touring car by comparison. Just looking at the power band tells you what mazda was aiming for. A commuter with umf.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the intelligent responses so far. The question was just something that popped up in my mind on the way to work this morning, driving in my 6i hatch. Can't buy either the MPS6 or RX-8 cuz of the wife, who is the keeper to my money, but I just thought it'd be an interesting question to ask.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Can't buy either the MPS6 or RX-8 cuz of the wife, who is the keeper to my money, but I just thought it'd be an interesting question to ask.
[/b]
In my experiences this should be the other way around with the way women like to shop and blow little bits of money here and there, it adds up quick! God forbid they get hold of the plastic!
my $.02

and now back to the topic......... :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently you get your way, seeing that you have a Mazdaspeed6. Argh...Speed6 envy...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 8 is a lightweight (less then 3,000 lbs stock 6spd), neutrally balanced chassis (almost 50/50 exactly), with a high reving engine and incredible suspension (double wishbone front and rear).

The only thing the 8 lacks is engine power. The mps 6 is more of a Grand touring car by comparison. Just looking at the power band tells you what mazda was aiming for. A commuter with umf.
[/b]
100% agree. If the 8 came with a bit more power, I may not have switched (well, I would have been more reluctant. There were a few other things I prefered in the 6).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Apparently you get your way, seeing that you have a Mazdaspeed6. Argh...Speed6 envy...
[/b]
Haha, that could very well be part of the reason I am single at the moment.
Try talking her into one when the 2007 comes out and the remaining 06 models are discounted. YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE! :yesnod:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought my speed6 because I wanted a good all round car, I needed something that was decent in the winter months too, and now that its summer, I see RX-8's coming out of storage, and I just think I've enjoyed my car all year round.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cant fit a baby seat in the back of the 8. I feel like a ass just bringing this fact up. Ha!

·
Administrator
8,408 Posts
You're obviously going to get more MS6 votes here, considering the MS6 owners on this site. But anyway... :)

I couldn't vote, simply because they're both great examples of zoom-zoom. The RX-8 is lightweight and nimble, very balanced, and can outhandle just about any other car in it's class. The MS6 is a powerful GT, relatively nimble, yet comfortable enough for 4 (or 2 adults and 3 kids), and a great bargain in it's class.

What about the upcoming MS3? I'm sure that'll be nothing to sneeze at as well. Plus the regular 3 is arguably the best car in it's class for a bunch of reasons.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The alternative to the MS6 for me was the RX-8. In fact, it (RX-8) was what brought me to the dealership that fateful night. In fact, the answer to the question is not based in which one you like and why, but what it means to embody zoom-zoom. In my opinion, the ultimate embodiment of zoom-zoom is the miata (perhaps Mazadspeed version) in that it is light, lithe, fun to drive and sporty. While the MS6 is fun to drive fast and powerful, the RX-8 is unquestionably the zoom-zoom king. I agree that the RX-8 with either a turbo rotary or an engine similar to the MS6 would be the near perfect car. I didn't get the RX_8 because it just has no guts. If you're caught in the wrong gear at any time, the world passes you by. the salesman on the test drive couldn't believe I could break the tires loose in first and second because he'd never seen it done before. I couldn't believe how much rowing I had to do to keep the engine on boil. It's really cool to rev a car to 9k, especially on a test drive, but it's not too practical off the track. For the record, I don't believe practicality is a prerequisite for zoom-zoom-ality.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i love the rx8 and had my heart set on one. i'm at a point in my life where i can deal with an impractical car. i ended up with a speed6 because the practical part inside needed a single daily driver. the rx8 is great to drive & fun to own, but i needed a car that i could drive everyday without worries.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think they both have zoom-zoom in different senses. The RX-8 has the makings of a sports car but lost its way with horsepower. The Mazdaspeed 6 has that sports car soul under the hood but lacks the suspension characteristics of a real contender. The RX-8 is kinda like a hot gymnast with a VD, she looks great and can move like no other but can't perform where it counts. The Mazdaspeed 6 is kinda like a plus-size model with a huge sex drive, she looks good for her category and can rock your world but try dancing to fast with her and she'll step on your toes all night long.
I love my speed6 and thats a big thing considering I had a deposit on an RX-8 and the dealer had it in prep. It has everything Mazda promises in their slogans. The soul of a sports car and the zoom-zoom to match. ZOOM-ZOOM BABY!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts