Mazda 6 Forums banner

1801 - 1820 of 1824 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Biggest problem with the Mazda 6 first gen is that parts are getting hard to find already. Even a non-speed 6 is hard to find parts for in Canada and when you do they are expensive. Just doing a stock brake job on my 04 was $700 in parts and I tried pricing out Speed brakes to do the conversion and I was looking at about $1100 for everything needed. These prices are parts only as well, I do all my own repair work. Mileage doesn't help too, cars that are actually driven are all up there in mileage now.
Must be a Canada thing. Parts like brake items are not crazy $ here.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Must be a Canada thing. Parts like brake items are not crazy $ here.
Definitely something to do with it, parts are at least 1/3 more expensive here and we pay high taxes. Even using Rock Auto to Canada means high shipping and import costs so that often wrecks good deals.

Even for my 04 V6, to buy good coated solid rotors and higher end pads was about $550 for all 4 corners after tax local prices. Rock auto was easily $200 less, but the shipping and import taxes brought it up to right over $500.

Speed6 parts up here are just stupidly priced.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Definitely something to do with it, parts are at least 1/3 more expensive here and we pay high taxes. Even using Rock Auto to Canada means high shipping and import costs so that often wrecks good deals.

Even for my 04 V6, to buy good coated solid rotors and higher end pads was about $550 for all 4 corners after tax local prices. Rock auto was easily $200 less, but the shipping and import taxes brought it up to right over $500.

Speed6 parts up here are just stupidly priced.
THat really sucks. Time for a new car!

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Just for grins I looked at the conversion this morning, seems currently the USD is worth ~1.34 CD

Then add a butt load of taxes, then add international shipping for parts... yeah, I can see that getting ugly quick!

$300USD turns into $402CD, plus taxes & shipping can get darn close to $500 I bet. For a big project I can see it being cheaper to get a PO Box (or friend) across the border or something.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I live one hour away from Michigan, I buy 95% of my parts from Rockauto and get them shipped to a parcel pick-up center and even with the current conversion rate, I save lots of money. Works great for non-urgent parts that you know you are going to need (suspension, brakes, filters, etc).

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Wow, those are some crappy pics :)
Appears to be a sport model, so no leather and no keyless ignition.
Only two poor engine bay pics so hard to tell if anything was molested under the hood. The TMIC shroud bolts that are visible aren't original, but that cove has to come off for almost anything done under there and it's not unusual for the bolts to be replaced, but it could also mean that it was modded then returned to stock.

While it's still cold pull oil fill cap and see if you can check timing chain tension. If a new style valve cover you can't get to the chain, but that's a good thing so no worries- you can see & touch the chain, or it's covered, you'll know as soon as you look under the fill cap.

Drive it, then let it idle for a few minutes when you get back from the test drive- while you walk around and check it out for leaks or whatever. If the turbo seals are going or gone it'll start to smoke after a few minutes of idling.

How are you with doing your own maintenance? At this mileage you'll have lots to do.

Depending on what you find in person, the price could be anywhere from $6000 to $8000.
It almost certainly needs suspension- shocks, springs, bushings etc. Clutch may be due, or due very soon. Fluids front to back. Pretty much everything.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Checked it out today. Had the check engine light on and they couldn't explain why. I offered 5k and they wouldn't budge off of 8.5k. Was nice on the inside and the test drive went good. It's been awhile since I've driven a stick lol. Walked away

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Checked it out today. Had the check engine light on and they couldn't explain why. I offered 5k and they wouldn't budge off of 8.5k. Was nice on the inside and the test drive went good. It's been awhile since I've driven a stick lol. Walked away
Shady. Good move on walking. $8500 lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If I remember the situation right, this car has been on the lot for 2 years. If so, call them back in 3 days or so and check in to see if they'll reconsider your offer.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If I remember the situation right, this car has been on the lot for 2 years. If so, call them back in 3 days or so and check in to see if they'll reconsider your offer.
Not with no info on that CEL. I would just keep shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This one was posted recently in my area: rochester.craigslist .org/cto/d/2007-mazdaspeed-6-built-built/6398466742.html *

I'm not a huge fan of the tuning, but for future reference, what are some thoughts about this: Price/miles/condition/potentials?

I have a gentleman at the Mazda dealer keeping me in the loop on future Speed 6's he sees come through where the owner wants to sell, and it's an education in it's own right learning how to detect a deal and not.

My initial thought is that the one I posted is too high for the miles and exterior condition. I'm nit picky about the rust, which is worrisome, but I don't mind paying to have it properly taken care of (yes, I know, once rust always rust). Properly patching/painting would be several hundred at least. How involved is it to de-tune a car, or is this not worth it or even possible?

Thanks guys!

*Mods, if this is cheating and you want me to remove it, I understand.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This one was posted recently in my area: rochester.craigslist .org/cto/d/2007-mazdaspeed-6-built-built/6398466742.html *

I'm not a huge fan of the tuning, but for future reference, what are some thoughts about this: Price/miles/condition/potentials?

I have a gentleman at the Mazda dealer keeping me in the loop on future Speed 6's he sees come through where the owner wants to sell, and it's an education in it's own right learning how to detect a deal and not.

My initial thought is that the one I posted is too high for the miles and exterior condition. I'm nit picky about the rust, which is worrisome, but I don't mind paying to have it properly taken care of (yes, I know, once rust always rust). Properly patching/painting would be several hundred at least. How involved is it to de-tune a car, or is this not worth it or even possible?

Thanks guys!

*Mods, if this is cheating and you want me to remove it, I understand.
It's probably a hack job joke of a "built" car since he gives no info in the ad & far away shot. Either way, $7500 for a rusty MS6? LMAO GTFO He is thousands high.

I'm never selling mine since they seem to be worth peanuts. Not that I want to anyway. Been adding more mods actually

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's probably a hack job joke of a "built" car since he gives no info in the ad & far away shot. Either way, $7500 for a rusty MS6? LMAO GTFO He is thousands high.

I'm never selling mine since they seem to be worth peanuts. Not that I want to anyway. Been adding more mods actually
I knew the price was high for the body condition, but I know little/nothing about mods since that's not my interest.

Thousands too high for an MS6? 100k in good shape then is, what, around $5,000? That's cheaper than I thought. Or did you mean too high for this particular one?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I knew the price was high for the body condition, but I know little/nothing about mods since that's not my interest.

Thousands too high for an MS6? 100k in good shape then is, what, around $5,000? That's cheaper than I thought. Or did you mean too high for this particular one?
Too high for that particular car. I'm at 88k on mine & it's clean & well maintained. If I found one equal to mine for $5k, I'd buy 2.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't buy a rusty Mazda 6, you'll spend thousands fixing it properly.

Speed6 prices are falling, they are getting old and you can buy faster cars for the same money. Unless you really gotta have one, there are better options out there. If you are spending $7K US for on then it better be mint, no rust at all.

That being said, I'd love to have one. I love my V6 and I can only imagine how much fun a Speed is to drive.

1801 - 1820 of 1824 Posts