Mazda 6 Forums banner

1781 - 1800 of 1824 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What do you think is a fair price for a 2007 MS6 GT w/53K? It appears to be in good condition and needs nothing repaired.

Guy is asking 13K which seems a tad high...

Would 11-12k be a more reasonable range?
Elaborate on "good condition?" Any flaws?
What color? Mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Elaborate on "good condition?" Any flaws?
What color? Mods?
According to seller, it has nicks and scratches but paint is in good shape overall. Seller did mention it having some rear axles, turbo and transfer case seepage but claims it is normal. Also has the infamous fuel pump tick which appears to be a normal trait.

This is his words:
see a coating of sticky-looking grease just around the axle seals. There is no dripping at all (I've had the same parking spot for 6 years and it's spotless)
Color is Silver and has some light mods.

-Mazdaspeed cold air intake (2007)
-Streetunit 3.5" intercooler (2007)
-Cobb AccessPort v2 (2010)
-Denso Iridium ITV22 spark plugs (2012)
-Autotech cam driven fuel pump internals (2012)

Finally says the VVT, timing chain and turbo were replaced under warranty (2012). Car also only had 1 owner.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
According to seller, it has nicks and scratches but paint is in good shape overall. Seller did mention it having some rear axles, turbo and transfer case seepage but claims it is normal. Also has the infamous fuel pump tick which appears to be a normal trait.

This is his words: Color is Silver and has some light mods.

Finally says the VVT, timing chain and turbo were replaced under warranty (2012). Car also only had 1 owner.
Does he have the paperwork to prove the VVT & turbo were done?
Transfer case leaking is a common thing w/these cars, but the others are not to my knowledge. I wouldn't give $13k if it needs axles, fuel pump work & turbo work.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

53k is a nice low mileage car. IDK what a fuel pump tick is and I dont consider spark plugs to be a mod. Where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does he have the paperwork to prove the VVT & turbo were done?
Transfer case leaking is a common thing w/these cars, but the others are not to my knowledge. I wouldn't give $13k if it needs axles, fuel pump work & turbo work.
Good question; I believe he does for the VVT and turbo. Will need to ask to be sure.

The fuel pump tick was a common non-issue I thought?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently (2 weeks ago) picked up an 06 black speed 6 with ~99000km (~60K miles) with a clean carfax for $5900 CAD.

Car is bone stock and is in pretty good condition. Only has a tiny bubble of rust starting on the trunk and a little bit starting in the rear left quarter which i plan to take care of asap. previous owner was a tech at a local mazda dealer and had the VVT issue taken care of. Turbo is also good and had synthetic oil changes done every 5k kms.

Car only needs brakes and had a small exhaust leak. Been eyeing these cars for awhile and finally found a good one. Glad to be part of the club finally :)

·
Registered
17 Posts

These cars in the states really seem to hold their value compared to here. I would suggest (if you can) to come up here to canada and get a car from here. For you guys especially since our dollar is tanking right now, you can pick one up really cheap. You can find a decent one with <100K miles for around $7-8000 CAD which is ~$5800 USD.

Example, this one is about 5 min away from me

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cambridge/2006-mazda-mazdaspeed6-awd-certified-e-tested/1124833989?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

****Edit, provided an example

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
These cars in the states really seem to hold their value compared to here. I would suggest (if you can) to come up here to canada and get a car from here. For you guys especially since our dollar is tanking right now, you can pick one up really cheap. You can find a decent one with <100K miles for around $7-8000 CAD which is ~$5800 USD.

Example, this one is about 5 min away from me

2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 AWD ||Certified, E-Tested|| | used cars & trucks | Cambridge | Kijiji

****Edit, provided an example
I don't think they hold their value here either. Last year I had mine up for sale and got nothing but low balls. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
As much as it pains me, I'm considering listing my 2006 Speed 6 Sport as I now take the train to work every day. It's got 101k, never modded or raced, and is super clean. It's got a spare set of 17" rims for winter with all season tires on them in addition to the OEM rims. I've got all the maintenance paperwork with the car. VVT was never done, brought it to the dealer to inquire about it before the extended warranty ran out at 70k and they said it did not need it. How much should I expect to fetch for the car?

Thanks in advance.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Well, assuming great condition, inside & out, for 100K miles, and that fully documented service history, and a completely stock one owner car with a clean carfax. Further assuming that you've completed the air bag recall, and it's AWD in the north with winter approaching.

Then subtract the VVT and timing chain which, regardless of what that dealer said, both need to be done. Then subtract for age & wear on the turbo which, regardless of how gentle you may have been, is living on borrowed time. Then subtract for any old age maintenance which will need to be done- power steering, trans, PTO, rear diff and brake fluids, coolant flush etc. Still on original stock suspension- it's all worn past being in acceptable condition- bushings, springs, shocks and all. Stock original clutch still- that's another ~$1200 to have replaced depending on parts selected and labor cost- diy as low as $500 for parts, dealer as much as $2400 for oem and labor.

Of course, any of those items being completed semi-recently will add value back in.

So, figure a baseline value of maybe $8K. Subtract $1400 for dealer installed cost of VVT/TC puts you at $6600 without yet considering the other wear items. The more you've cared for it the higher the cost- fluids, suspension, brakes & clutch all current? Then start at 9K, or heck even 9.5K if very recent, but still be ready to drop for the VVT/TC and worn turbo.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As much as it pains me, I'm considering listing my 2006 Speed 6 Sport as I now take the train to work every day. It's got 101k, never modded or raced, and is super clean. It's got a spare set of 17" rims for winter with all season tires on them in addition to the OEM rims. I've got all the maintenance paperwork with the car. VVT was never done, brought it to the dealer to inquire about it before the extended warranty ran out at 70k and they said it did not need it. How much should I expect to fetch for the car?

Thanks in advance.
How up to date is all the maintenance? Any flaws or issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
How up to date is all the maintenance? Any flaws or issues?
The issues are mostly cosmetic:

• Right front headlight is cloudy
  • Rust forming on the front left edge of the hood
  • Very small dent in the rear passenger door
  • Minor scuffing on the rear bumper
  • Battery hold down clamp needs to be replaced (only non-cosmetic issue I am aware of)
Well, assuming great condition, inside & out, for 100K miles, and that fully documented service history, and a completely stock one owner car with a clean carfax. Further assuming that you've completed the air bag recall, and it's AWD in the north with winter approaching.

Then subtract the VVT and timing chain which, regardless of what that dealer said, both need to be done. Then subtract for age & wear on the turbo which, regardless of how gentle you may have been, is living on borrowed time. Then subtract for any old age maintenance which will need to be done- power steering, trans, PTO, rear diff and brake fluids, coolant flush etc. Still on original stock suspension- it's all worn past being in acceptable condition- bushings, springs, shocks and all. Stock original clutch still- that's another ~$1200 to have replaced depending on parts selected and labor cost- diy as low as $500 for parts, dealer as much as $2400 for oem and labor.

Of course, any of those items being completed semi-recently will add value back in.

So, figure a baseline value of maybe $8K. Subtract $1400 for dealer installed cost of VVT/TC puts you at $6600 without yet considering the other wear items. The more you've cared for it the higher the cost- fluids, suspension, brakes & clutch all current? Then start at 9K, or heck even 9.5K if very recent, but still be ready to drop for the VVT/TC and worn turbo.
Thanks a ton for this, it's exactly what I needed to know. A few notes in general:

• Driver airbag has been done, but passenger is still waiting on parts from the dealer. Been waiting all summer.
  • I'm the fourth owner of the car, but have owned it since 2010
  • Brakes are brand new--just had pads and rotors done in June (< 500 miles ago)
  • Last routine scheduled maintenance done at 99,700 in October
  • Fuel injector maintenance and cleaning performed in June
  • Fluids have always been done by Mazda, but are NOT all current: transmission and rear diff are due
  • Clutch has not been done
Anyhow, this gives me a great starting point, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm still getting my ducks in a row (new job and a baby on the way) so you may well see my Speed pop up in the classifieds here in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The issues are mostly cosmetic:

• Right front headlight is cloudy
  • Rust forming on the front left edge of the hood
  • Very small dent in the rear passenger door
  • Minor scuffing on the rear bumper
  • Battery hold down clamp needs to be replaced (only non-cosmetic issue I am aware of)
Thanks a ton for this, it's exactly what I needed to know. A few notes in general:

• Driver airbag has been done, but passenger is still waiting on parts from the dealer. Been waiting all summer.
  • I'm the fourth owner of the car, but have owned it since 2010
  • Brakes are brand new--just had pads and rotors done in June (< 500 miles ago)
  • Last routine scheduled maintenance done at 99,700 in October
  • Fuel injector maintenance and cleaning performed in June
  • Fluids have always been done by Mazda, but are NOT all current: transmission and rear diff are due
  • Clutch has not been done
Anyhow, this gives me a great starting point, I really appreciate your feedback. I'm still getting my ducks in a row (new job and a baby on the way) so you may well see my Speed pop up in the classifieds here in the coming weeks.
I wouldn't pay over $5k for it w/the rust issue. That's just me. I'm a deal hunter. :nerd:

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Not too far off-
4 owner, 100K+ on engine, turbo, suspension. Has minor rust, needs VVT/TC, clutch job and pending airbag.

I'd encourage a compression test on the engine- if 170+ you could argue for higher value based on healthy engine, but clutch is 1200 dealer cost and VVT/TC is 1400 dealer cost, and that pesky darn airbag. Worn suspension is big to me but may not matter to somebody else, and any rust is bad rust.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, it's been about a year since my post above, and I still have my MS6. Not much new activity in this thread. Thought I'd bring it to life to see if there have been some new MS6 buyers who could post their info here. I've got about 8 more payments, then I will own this free and clear and will start hunting for something newer. I'll either keep the MS6 a little longer as a second car or sell it myself. Not gonna trade it in and get screwed.

I've had two minor accidents since last year. Just got it out of the shop today after a low speed fender bender. Got a new right front fender and headlight courtesy of the other guys insurance. Also got one wheel refinished. Last fall a branch fell on the top during a storm. Broke the windshield and sunroof, and put some minor dings and scratches on the hood, top, and trunk lid. Both repairs done by a very good body shop, so the positive is there is lots of fresh paint! Had some extensive work done on the A/C about a month ago, and new tires all around two months ago. Mileage is about 107K now. No mods.

If this was your car, how much would you ask for it today?
Finally got around to selling my Speed6 last Saturday. I actually hadn't even listed it yet, but I had mentioned on a local Speed Facebook page that I was planning to sell. Had a buyer contact me through that page, wanted to see it that day, and had cash in hand. With more work, I probably could have gotten more, but this young guy wanted one bad because his brother in law used to have one. They both came to look at it. He's 16 and it his first car (good luck with that!) I asked for $7200 and let him have it for $6800. We're happy all around. Mileage had crept up to 119,000. Car needs nothing mechanically and looks great.

I've only been driving it about once a week since I bought an Audi A5 last summer. Glad to see it go to a good home where it is appreciated and recognized for the exceptional car that it is.

I probably won't be on here much any more. Big thanks to all that have helped me out over the years. This is a great forum. Over and out.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Texas is a speed state for sure, that's where mine went...
Glad you were able to find a good home for it!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have no expectations of mine selling for near what I listed it at, but I can hope. Makes no sense for me to sell it for $7k or whatever. I can't buy anything good for that $. Maybe one day the values of these cars go back up...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Biggest problem with the Mazda 6 first gen is that parts are getting hard to find already. Even a non-speed 6 is hard to find parts for in Canada and when you do they are expensive. Just doing a stock brake job on my 04 was $700 in parts and I tried pricing out Speed brakes to do the conversion and I was looking at about $1100 for everything needed. These prices are parts only as well, I do all my own repair work. Mileage doesn't help too, cars that are actually driven are all up there in mileage now.

1781 - 1800 of 1824 Posts
About this Discussion
1.8K Replies
484 Participants
2006_MS6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing